Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I bought an Apple TV (2nd Generation) which has been jailbroken (4.4.4). I want to completely erase and restore to factory settings. Is the best way to do this from the ATV menu or by connecting to iTunes? I don't really need or want to jailbreak the device at the moment but if I want to jailbreak in the future what's the best thing to do now (e.g. save SHSH blobs for 4.4.4 / just wait for untethered 5.0 jailbreak)?

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Connect to iTunes.

I bought a mates ATV2 he'd jail broken and the first thing I did was restore it to Apple specs in iTunes. For me jail braking just causes to many headaches.

MikeVarney

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Connect to iTunes.

I bought a mates ATV2 he'd jail broken and the first thing I did was restore it to Apple specs in iTunes. For me jail braking just causes to many headaches.

+1 Itunes will be more than happy to restore it for you.

The untethered 5.0.x jailbreak for ATV2 is out.

-- M

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Jailbreaking an aTV2 causes no headaches at all, in fact you wouldn't even know it was jailbroken! I'm running 5.0.1 untethered and it works perfectly for both the standard Apple stuff or Firecore add-ons (Media Player, Plex, Browser)

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Simple solution to that is don't update it :D

I've never done a software update on mine through iTunes Jailbroke when I got it and then updated to jailbreak on 5.0.1. Wasn't anything in any of the other updated I needed and the aTV was doing exactly what I wanted so why break it?

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Simple solution to that is don't update it :D

True...but when I went through this I was jail breaking the ATV1. The apple interface was rubbish until 2.0 came along so the updates were 'desirable' for lack of a better word. That experience has coloured my viewpoint to all jailbreaks...iPhone & ATVs.

I accept the limitations that apple impose on its devices, for the simple pleasure of knowing, they just work. No issues, no question. Any problem I've experienced since then has been firewall, networks or some other 3rd party device stuffing around with the setup. And when your playing with 5 ATVs, jail breaking becomes a chore.

1 x iTunes library, running on the machine that converts, catalogues, organises & serves, accessed by 5 ATVs. Couldn't be easier.

I like plug n play...my days of experimenting, tweaking, adjusting or whatever, are behind me through choice. Cant play an AVI or a DIVX? ehhh...who cares! Mp4 or M4v is fine by me. My conversion process is so down pat now, 40mins converts in 4 mins, it really aint worth the drama of even thinking about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.