Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
What did I just see? :confused:

The iPhone seems horribly HORRIBLY overpriced compared to the Galaxy Nexus.

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) = $350
Nexus Tablet = $199

Google makes Apple seem really greedy and price gouging customers too much.

Also don't forget that the Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and works with both AT&T and T-mobiles 3G bands to let customers choose the best deal (unlike Apple that locks you to one carrier)

Anyone gonna get more for your $ an go with the Galaxy Nexus + Nexus Tablet combo for $100 less than an iPhone?

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
What did I just see? :confused:

The iPhone seems horribly HORRIBLY overpriced compared to the Galaxy Nexus.

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) = $350
Nexus Tablet = $199

Google makes Apple seem really greedy and price gouging customers too much.

Also don't forget that the Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and works with both AT&T and T-mobiles 3G bands to let customers choose the best deal (unlike Apple that locks you to one carrier)

Anyone gonna get more for your $ an go with the Galaxy Nexus + Nexus Tablet combo for $100 less than an iPhone?

Is the $350 the price of the galaxy nexus with or without a contract?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Jelly Bean also looks fantastic. Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard, expandable notifications... looking very promising.
e7cb75a6-0309-4f7f-86a7-79e2292a6e93_500.jpg

The price difference is more absurd when you consider how much better JB looks than iOS 6 looks.

Last edited:

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I can buy a brand new BMW for 40k or a new Honda for 20k. This BMW price gouging must stop!!!!!

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
iOS has always had a leg up on android when it comes to "smoothness". I love both operating systems...but it looks like jelly bean may match iOS in terms of performance.....

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Not exactly a fair comparison but I get your point. This is similar to what happened in the PC market. Apple was first out of the gate with a GUI based PC in 1984 and enjoyed high margins for many years until Microsoft finally caught up with Windows 3.1. At that point, the PC OEMs were selling hardware that was faster and cheaper than equivalent Macs and the OS and apps were mature enough to make the switch. We all know how that turned out.

I think Apple has a big lead right now but not insurmountable. They will have to release hardware that is cheaper which means margin erosion.

They have a three year headstart on tablets but you have to admit that the rest of the industry is catching up quickly. Again, Apple has to innovate at the same pace as they have in the last few years to stay ahead or they will lose market share based on price alone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple will never be the cheapest game in town.

This is a revelation since when?

Apple is never going to race to the bottom like the windows PC market and android where junk is the norm.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I can buy a brand new BMW for 40k or a new Honda for 20k. This BMW price gouging must stop!!!!!

That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

Does Honda even offer a V8? Or a twin-turbo V6?

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Jelly Bean also looks fantastic. Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard, expandable notifications... looking very promising.

Yeah, I haven't even seen the I/O to see all the improvements Jelly Bean is bringing but rest assured I will :)

The price difference is pretty absurd.

You got that right! Since both phones are company flagships who in their right mind would pay an extra 47% and support a company (Apple) who so obviously doesn't give a **** about price gouging it's customers?

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

So the nexus tablet has half the resolution of my iPad 3. Not getting your point.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I've been a iPhone user for 4 years but just ordered the Galaxy Nexus. I'll still keep my iPhone but I'm looking forward to something new. At $350 unlocked you just can't beat it.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Yeah, I haven't even seen the I/O to see all the improvements Jelly Bean is bringing but rest assured I will :)

You got that right! Since both phones are company flagships who in their right mind would pay an extra 47% and support a company (Apple) who so obviously doesn't give a **** about price gouging it's customers?

I would pay the extra money, simply because I'd never own any phone but an iPhone. Not that I hate andorid or those other phones, I just love what the iPhone does for me, I'm sure others feel the same.

Rock out and do with your money what you want! So long as your happy! :D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I am however loyal to my iPad. I certainly see the attraction of 7" tablets, but with an already 4.6" Galaxy Nexus, the difference just isn't enough to warrant purchase. I love my iPad.

But the boat is sailing for the iPhone. I'm holding out to see what happens this Fall with the next gen, but JB is potentially sealing the deal. It's just pulling away.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I am however loyal to my iPad. I certainly see the attraction of 7" tablets, but with an already 4.6" Galaxy Nexus, the difference just isn't enough to warrant purchase. I love my iPad.

But the boat is sailing for the iPhone. I'm holding out to see what happens this Fall with the next gen, but JB is potentially sealing the deal.

I don't know, I used Android long enough to determine that widgets are useless to me. Now I will admit that the new notifications are extremely cool, but notifications is just not a determining factor in what device I want to use. I still much prefer the app catalog of iOS over Android.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

alllright how about tvs.

40" lcd dynex, $299
40" samsung lcd. $599

ill keep my "samsung" any day.

Last edited:

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Not exactly a fair comparison but I get your point. This is similar to what happened in the PC market. Apple was first out of the gate with a GUI based PC in 1984 and enjoyed high margins for many years until Microsoft finally caught up with Windows 3.1. At that point, the PC OEMs were selling hardware that was faster and cheaper than equivalent Macs and the OS and apps were mature enough to make the switch. We all know how that turned out.

I think Apple has a big lead right now but not insurmountable. They will have to release hardware that is cheaper which means margin erosion.

They have a three year headstart on tablets but you have to admit that the rest of the industry is catching up quickly. Again, Apple has to innovate at the same pace as they have in the last few years to stay ahead or they will lose market share based on price alone.

All the sales figures I see show iPad selling like crazy. And others hardly selling. Others may catch up in the future… They're not catching up right now.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know, I used Android long enough to determine that widgets are useless to me. Now I will admit that the new notifications are extremely cool, but notifications is just not a determining factor in what device I want to use. I still much prefer the app catalog of iOS over Android.

I agree with you in that Widgets is overrated, however, there are certain ones that are worth having. Namely the toggles. I love being able to toggle my lock screen on and off, for example. I tap it on when I go out and need the obvious security, and I toggle it off when I'm at home where it's safe and I don't need to log in with my pin every time I pick up my phone. Ditto for sound settings, toggling between vibrate/sound/silence; toggling WiFi and GPS, brightness settings, etc.

To me, the most exciting thing about JB is the Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard. I can't stand iOS keyboard on the iPhone. It constantly misses keys, leading to typos, leading to incorrect autocorrections. Need examples? There's a plethora of "Damn you iPhone Auto Correction" websites online. The keyboard that "just works" gave birth to that internet phenomenon. :T And the fact that Apple didn't announce any improvements to it in iOS 6 is really unfortunate.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Just preordered the tablet. I currently have ipad2 but find it pretty much useless as its too big for me. 7" is perfect size. Kindle fire was sized correctly for me but its performance was crap. Nexus 7 should be much better with Jelly bean.

As far as nexus $350 for unlocked no contract phone is a great price. If project butter helps with lag then I'm going to get it as well.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The only thing worth talking about in terms of pricing is that Apple never lowers the price, no matter how much time has passed, until the next generation one is released. Other than that, people will pay whatever they want for products they feel are worth it. I happen to think the iPad and Macs are worth it (not that I wouldn't mind if they were more affordable), but think that the iPhone isn't. People will feel differently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.