Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eShrimes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Hey, so my dad is starting a new job and is in need of a smartphone. (he's old-fashioned, I know)
He needs it for calling, texting, email and accessing webpages. He's leaning towards a blackberry, but I'm trying to convince him that an iPhone is the way to go. Can anyone give me evidence as to why I'm right? Or maybe personal experience?
Thanks!

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I went from an iPhone 4 to a Blackberry Bold 9900 and then to an iPhone 4S and would never go back to a Blackberry (by choice).

It is a good device for phone calls, texting/BBM, and emailing. Beyond that it was very mediocre. The same apps that I used on my iPhone either didn't exist in the App World or were very mediocre compared to the iPhone versions (apps like Fb, Twitter, Bloomberg etc).

The battery pulls and frequent freezes were also annoying and the web browser wasn't smooth at all, I hated it.

It's a good communication device, but it's not a multimedia device like the iPhone 4S (which does everything the BB did, but better and more). The Blackberry may be good for your father who may not have time to find apps or music or videos and likely just needs a means to communicate with others. But the iPhone likely has apps which can facilitate certain everyday activities, but is very data reliant.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Hey, so my dad is starting a new job and is in need of a smartphone. (he's old-fashioned, I know)
He needs it for calling, texting, email and accessing webpages. He's leaning towards a blackberry, but I'm trying to convince him that an iPhone is the way to go. Can anyone give me evidence as to why I'm right? Or maybe personal experience?
Thanks!

I'd tell your dad to go demo some devices in store and get whatever he feels most comfortable with.

Makes no sense to try to 'convince' him something is better for him. He can decide that for himself.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Texting on a physical keyboard is a must if he will type a lot, bear this in mind.

Texting on a physical keyboard is a must if he will type a lot, bear this in mind.

maybe. I've never owned a phone with a physical keyboard (because I went straight from flip phone to iPhone 3G), but I have played around with them from time to time. I've always found the virutal keyboard to be much more pleasant than a physical one. That's part of the reason I never even wanted a smartphone before the iPhone. I didn't like to keyboard. I like just barely needing to tap the screen and the autocorrect when I mess up.

Perhaps once a person is adjusted to a physical keyboard that will always be preferred, but from my experience I like the virtual.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
If your dad is old fashioned the quickest learning curve is iPhone. However, a lot of people really appreciate the physical keyboard.

My mom and dad use an iPad with ease and I am giving my mom my iP4, she is very excited.

I also suspect (but hope not) that BB is going very fiscally down the toilette very fast. Not wise to jump on a sinking ship.

However, as one poster suggested, take him into a store and let HIM decide what he is more comfortable with.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
RIM is discontinuing personal Blackberries. As above, no point in jumping on a sinking ship. :eek:

At least find a company that will be in business for a while......

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
RIM is discontinuing personal Blackberries. As above, no point in jumping on a sinking ship. :eek:

At least find a company that will be in business for a while......

If that were true it would be good advice.

If being the key word there.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

That is more due to personal preference and the exact nature of the keyboard. Some people prefer the on screen keyboard, some prefer the BlackBerry physical keyboard. I prefer physical keyboards myself, but I hate the BB keyboards. I prefer landscape slider keyboards like my current HTC Desire Z and my old Nokia N97.

In any case he should get the phone that he likes the most whichever it may be. Best thing for him to do is to go to a phone store and try out a variety of phones to see which one he likes best.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Rims is only focusing on their core business users now, which even then I don't know why people use them still. Even their share in the business sector has been steadily falling vs Android and iOS. GF got the new Bold on a whim, and quickly replaced it with the 4S. Rim's phones to me are just so clunky and outdated to use, their IM system is way over-hyped, and hate their key pads. Even my old 5-6 year old 8525 TyTn had a slide out keyboard in landscape mode that worked way better and easier then even Rim's new phones lol

But some people still like them, just have your dad try both. If he's a bigger guy/bigger fingers he may have a hard time typing on the key pads as well as the iPhones screen.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
if he needs to view webpages i'd suggest the iPhone but for the basic texting & calling id recommend the blackberry

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'd wait to see what both Apple and BB are cooking up for Q3

blackberry-l-n-series2-1024x582.jpg

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Only way to get this done is to put both devices in his hands and let him decide. This is for his job, not his enjoyment. He needs to decide what suits him better for his job and you can't get in the way of that.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Last time I used a BB was in 2009... The only thing that kept me on it was BBM.. Other than that, it was a POS for me.. the browser made my BP jump like a raped ape!

BB.. never again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.