Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm most likely going to begrudgingly get a 5 in the fall, so that I'll have LTE in case I'm somewhere where AT&T has a fail-tastic HSPA+ network.

I will need a new case for it. Right now, I have an Otterbox on my 4S, and I'm very confident in it's shock protection. However, for sweat and liquid protection, I'd very much like a Lifeproof case when I get the 5. The other big advantage of the Lifeproof case is that it has the armband in addition to the belt clip, so I can keep it on my body while I'm at the gym. However, I'm a little concerned about it's shock protection, being a lot thinner than the monster Otterbox case. I tend to play with and drop my phone all the time.

Thoughts?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'm not really big on cases but the makers of TikTok recently submitted another kickstarter project: TakTik. Blows the Otterbox and LifeProof case away. The only thing it won't out for a while.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not really big on cases but the makers of TikTok recently submitted another kickstarter project: TakTik. Blows the Otterbox and LifeProof case away. The only thing it won't out for a while.

I'm mostly looking for a comparison between Lifeproof and Otter, as if Lifeproof has good shock protection, then it would meet all of possible needs plus some.

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
I've heard very good things about the otter box, and if you've had a good experience with it, I'd stick with it (although I'd agree with the poster above me-- the TikTak looks very cool-- plus it has Gorilla Glass built in!)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I've heard very good things about the otter box, and if you've had a good experience with it, I'd stick with it (although I'd agree with the poster above me-- the TikTak looks very cool-- plus it has Gorilla Glass built in!)

Well I really want some of the features of the Lifeproof case, the only thing that doesn't look as good is the shock protection. They have testimonials and such on their site, I'm just not sure how it can be as good as the OtterBox when it's so much thinner.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have and been using a life proof case for quite sometime now.

Things I like about it, its water tight, it can be submerged so sweat from working/exercising outside won't hurt it.
Its pretty durable I've dropped it quite a few times and the phone is fine however its obviously not as shock resistant as a ob defender.
Nice, very secure locking belt clip.
Less rubber on it so it slides in and out out of your pocket easier.

Things I don't like about, its useless with most 3rd party accessories. Only Apple sized charger and headphones will work. However it comes with a water proof headphone extension thing so you can use any headphones.
The plastic over the screen stands off the actual screen just a hair and requires some getting used too.
Its expensive.
Feels cheap for its price.
Warranty sucks, but can be extended to 1 year online competition is still better...

Overall unless being water tight is a priority I wouldn't recommend it. I still use it but when replacement time comes I'm going with the juice pack pro from mophie.

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
^^^
I agree with pretty much everything cynics said.

My iPhone 4 had many cases, but since launch... the main cases I used were the Otterbox Defender and LifeProof. I like the LifeProof better between the 2 cases because it is thinner. One other thing I don't like about the LP case is the shiney screen cover. The Otterbox had more of an anti-glare screen protector which I liked better. Also, the sound quality from the speaker isn't great... but not a big deal for me. What I do like is that it's nice to have a waterproof case... and I have no worries using my phone in the rain. I rarely submerge my phone in water. I've had my LP case since pre-sale launch... and I've only used in the swimming pool maybe a couple times when I frist got it. I used it in our pool yesterday since then with my kids, and it till has a nice water tight seal. I was a little scared to submerge it yesterday since I've dropped and abused my LifeProof case a lot since the pre-sale launch. I am a phone dropper, so I need a durable case.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
^^^
I agree with pretty much everything cynics said.

My iPhone 4 had many cases, but since launch... the main cases I used were the Otterbox Defender and LifeProof. I like the LifeProof better between the 2 cases because it is thinner. One other thing I don't like about the LP case is the shiney screen cover. The Otterbox had more of an anti-glare screen protector which I liked better. Also, the sound quality from the speaker isn't great... but not a big deal for me. What I do like is that it's nice to have a waterproof case... and I have no worries using my phone in the rain. I rarely submerge my phone in water. I've had my LP case since pre-sale launch... and I've only used in the swimming pool maybe a couple times when I frist got it. I used it in our pool yesterday since then with my kids, and it till has a nice water tight seal. I was a little scared to submerge it yesterday since I've dropped and abused my LifeProof case a lot since the pre-sale launch. I am a phone dropper, so I need a durable case.

Very interesting. Thanks for the input, both of you. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Life Proof, as I feel like I'm well enough educated to see that there are trade-offs, but they aren't as big as what there is to gain.

The original reason I wanted to switch was to have the armband, as there really isn't anything like that for the OB. However, now that I look at it, it would be great to have a phone that could stay on the pool deck while I'm swimming (or on me for that matter), and also one that could stay in a captive pocket on my PFD while I am kayaking, as an emergency phone, not be affected by sweat, etc, etc.

The screen is something I'm not so hot on, but I wasn't so hot the OB screen when I first got it either, and I got used to it. Being able to take my iPhone with me is a far better utility to me than some minor functionality loss due to the case.

I was thinking about waiting for the iPhone 5 to buy into the system, but with the dock connector and new screen size, and the only upside being LTE, which would only be useful a few places I travel (at home HSPA+ is consistently 3-5mbps), I have decided against that, and I'll wait it out for a while with the 4S. Maybe all the data hogs will switch to LTE, and I can just stay on the 4S forever!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Very interesting. Thanks for the input, both of you. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the Life Proof, as I feel like I'm well enough educated to see that there are trade-offs, but they aren't as big as what there is to gain.

The original reason I wanted to switch was to have the armband, as there really isn't anything like that for the OB. However, now that I look at it, it would be great to have a phone that could stay on the pool deck while I'm swimming (or on me for that matter), and also one that could stay in a captive pocket on my PFD while I am kayaking, as an emergency phone, not be affected by sweat, etc, etc.

The screen is something I'm not so hot on, but I wasn't so hot the OB screen when I first got it either, and I got used to it. Being able to take my iPhone with me is a far better utility to me than some minor functionality loss due to the case.

I was thinking about waiting for the iPhone 5 to buy into the system, but with the dock connector and new screen size, and the only upside being LTE, which would only be useful a few places I travel (at home HSPA+ is consistently 3-5mbps), I have decided against that, and I'll wait it out for a while with the 4S. Maybe all the data hogs will switch to LTE, and I can just stay on the 4S forever!

I forgot to mention. The speaker is very much effected by the LP case. The case design makes the back into a speaker not so much the bottom. Its noticeable when watching videos and such, the ringer sounds the same.

I do like it although I wouldn't recommend it. I'm outside the majority of the day. Its nice to be able to use your phone in the rain with dirty hands. Or like you said keep it by the pool and it doesn't matter if water is dumped on it.

47a63a40-802f-e27e.jpg

In the sink. Lol

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Love my LP. I've had it almost a year. Bounces across the deck, drops out of the car off my lap. Goes in hot tubs, pools and bath tubs. I'll confess I wake up in the tub with my phone on my chest half under water. I'll never use anything else unless there's no alternative.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I also ordered the bike holder, which I thought I wouldn't, until I found that there are cycling apps to track distance for a matter of a few bucks. Can't wait to go LifeProof!

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I also ordered the bike holder, which I thought I wouldn't, until I found that there are cycling apps to track distance for a matter of a few bucks. Can't wait to go LifeProof!

Or iMapMyRide for free. ;)

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009

Nice call!! I love my lifeproof case and I have the bike holder too, which is great.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Nice call!! I love my lifeproof case and I have the bike holder too, which is great.

Good to hear. That was a bit of an impulse purchase, but I figure if I'm going to commit to the 4S and invest in Lifeproof gear, I may as well be able to enjoy it on my bike. The GPS stuff put me over the edge on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.