Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_10_icon_150.jpg

Bloomberg reports that Apple is preparing a major overhaul of its iTunes software to more closely integrate its iCloud services and add new features for sharing music.
With an increasing amount of content available on the store, the overhaul is intended to improve how people manage all their files, one person said. That includes changes to how users find new material and how they access what they already own on different Apple devices, said one person.

One of the main ways Apple will attempt to improve discovery is by making it easier for people to share songs, a popular feature of Spotify Ltd.'s music-subscription service. Apple has been negotiating with major record labels for rights that would let a user listen to a song sent to them from a friend for free, one person said.
Apple's iCloud efforts will improve organization of users' own content while also the company is also considering splitting out some functions of iTunes as it did yesterday on iOS with its new Podcasts app.

Apple is also looking to include more multimedia content in the iTunes Store, requesting more photos and music videos from artists to help broaden its offerings.

The revamped iTunes application is set to launch before the end of the year and is said to be one of the largest sets of changes since the iTunes Store's debut in 2003. As announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple is also working to improve the iTunes experience on iOS, revamping its digital store apps in iOS 6 to aid users in discovering new content.

Article Link: Apple Planning Major Overhaul of iTunes to Emphasize iCloud and Sharing

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
This is great news. Hopefully they get rid of some of the iTunes Match/iCloud issues that I've been experiencing.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I could see them mimicking the stores on iOS 6 to keep them consistent from iPhone to Mac.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Bet this takes up a slot at the iPhone 6th gen unveiling.

1) LTE
2) Larger Retina display
3) NFC
4) Revamped iTunes
5) Quad core processor?
6) 720p front facing camera?

That could be everything.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
yay, great news

hopefully we will see it come september?
i also hope they don't break it up, keep it all in the same app.
just more easy to use.

also i would welcome the option to remove stuff from iTunes match,

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
LONG, LONG overdue.

Hopefully we will finally get better ways to organize content. I mean, jeez, we're still forced to tag movies using "Artist" and "Album" fields. :rolleyes:

8ScUJ.png

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I'm interested to see what they'll do. Overall, I enjoy iTunes, but some tweaks here and there would be good.

I don't, however, care much at all for the sharing music integrating spotify etc... I don't use that at all. I wouldn't be using the cloud either for music. I'm still manual at updating the families music interests. Everyone has different choices in my house so I'm not sure how that would affect us.

but who knows...maybe it would in a good way.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
This sounds like good news to me. iCloud content does feel a bit hidden on Mac and PC since it's under the "Purchased" section, one of many on the righthand side. I don't really like the organization of the store in the first place, either. There's got to be a better way to find stuff than sifting through content sideways, whether on the computer version or iOS.

The Store needs more help than searching through the content you already own, though- I think they've got a pretty good system for that. I would like some changes in the Music app on iPad, though. I don't know about anyone else, but I like listening to all of the songs by a certain artist and nothing else on my iPhone, and on iPad it stops after the album is done. Sure you can make a playlist, but I see no reason not to change it.

dsuriano

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
The revamped iTunes application is set to launch before the end of the year and is said to be one of the largest sets of changes since the software's debut in 2003
iTunes 1.0 was released on January 9, 2001

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maybe the iOS device management panes will no longer contain separate, non-scaling, independently scrolling interfaces boxes WITHIN the larger scrolling iTunes view? Maybe that madness will end?

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Aside from the introduction of Coverflow not much as far as the interface has changed. Be nice to see something new overall.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
APPLE STOP SPLITTING APPS, holy **** what is your obsession with having a hundred icons everywhere?!

----------

The fact that it's still called iTunes is what bothers me the most. If the app was renamed, then iTunes could be the name of the music store within the app.

There's almost a decade of crazy marketing and brand awareness surrounding the "iTunes" name, Apple won't just throw that all away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.