Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Nobody spotted WhatsApp? That's something I might have used on the desktop...if most people hadn't jumped ship already. But hey, pretty close to a use case for BlueStacks.

adamantpradeep

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
be careful

isn't most of the android apps riddled with spyware?

this is going to run on a java runtime I presume? which as it has own security layer is poorly designed. I have completely uninstalled java on my MBP and have never felt a need to use them.

400,000 doesn't make it sound great... most of them would be junk of course

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
isn't most of the android apps riddled with spyware?

facepalm_picard2.jpg

No. Just no.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
This I could care less about, but is there any reason apple can't make ios apps run in osx? there is the simulator for developers, and even if it's cpu intensive emulation, the computer should be able to handle it.

Not that I'd use it too often, but it just seems stupid you can't double click on an app in itunes and open it.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Jailbreaking does not open any security or privacy holes,
Except for the worms targeting jailbroken iOS devices or the fact that the jaibroken apps haven't been reviewed by Apple for potential virus and privacy concerns.
The only Google app I've been annoyed with has been their Maps app and its lack of voice navigation. Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm talking about this. All Google services are available fully on the PC anyway.
Google Maps for Android has many features not available for iOS such as Indoor Maps, 3D Maps, Offline Mode and turn-by-turn GPS.
Hopefully Apple's own Maps app won't take too long to catch up to Google Maps feature wise.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Awesoeme!

Its great to hear that now you can run Android apps on mac. I wont don't need it is a different thing.
Thanks for the development though.

simon the diver

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Google apps for Android have many features that the iOS version don't have... which is perhaps to be expected.
As for jailbreaking, in my opinion the security/privacy concerns outweighs the added functionality.

yes that turn by turn GPS will come in real handy on my GPS-lacking Apple hardware - particularly so on the desktop machine

still, I'm sure some enterprising soul could always knock up a GPS dongle and special car seat belt for the 27inch iMac so you can take advantage of this :)

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
yes that turn by turn GPS will come in real handy on my GPS-lacking Apple hardware - particularly so on the desktop machine
I was comparing the features of the respective mobile apps, not their value emulated on a desktop computer.
Indoor Maps and Offline Mode would still be pretty cool for iMac and particularly MacBook models.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This would be as pointless if it were for iOS applications. A Mac already has about every application under the sun you could want, and with its full browser and decent screen, web apps make up the bulk of what isn't there (native facebook kinda crap...).

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Great 400,000 inferior clones of what I have on my iPad! and I don't even want those on my Mac..
What is wrong with manufacturers, they sometimes seem so out to sea with what their customers want sometimes, having not long got a new Mac Pro with Lion, is a good example, I mean what were Apple thinking removing so many features, that we have manulaly to replace, I simply don't get it.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
This seems pretty cool to me. There are a handful of Android Apps that simply do not exist on iOS that are actually pretty useful (a specific guitar chord app springs to mind, but there are others). Whether or not they will translate well to the MacBook Pro's trackpad is still left to be seen. Either way, it's kind of nice someone is working on this. I'd be quite happy to see the same done for iOS, but THAT will never happen.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I actually got Android for Intel processors running in VirtualBox. I think it was an outdated, illegit, Chinese edition though.

Can't be illegit. Android is Open Source, you know.

That being said, it's cool that somebody works on a product that allows me to run my Android software on my Mac. That's the beauty of open platforms: You CAN do something like this. People who use Android devices WILL find uses for this. And if Apple allowed you to run your iOS apps on OS X, the iOS users here would quickly shut up and instead try to find uses for that feature, too.

----------

Does this mean that eventually, we'll be able to run apps from google's play store ?

I would think so. They won't sell those 400,000 apps themselves.

----------

Did they say why they are making this? :confused:

Did Erik the red say why he wanted to discover America? And why did people decide to go to the moon?

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?

Whatsapp ! This was out before iMessage and a great app ! This is really good news imo, I think android has a lot to offer that apple doesn't, now you can run windows, apple and android on your mac talk about one stop shop !

CortoMaltese

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Could very occasionally be useful.

I see this being useful for a developer, quickly checking compatibility of a cross platform app.
And for general users, well perhaps occasionally. There are bound to be at least a handful highly useful android apps without proper equivalent.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Did they say why they are making this? :confused:

Because they can.

Some people build lego versions of the death star...
Some people go to scifi conventions dressed as Spock...
Some people get excited about extreme sport....
Others get to have sex with random strangers on a frequent basis.

One or two people have to settle for making android emulators.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Does this mean that eventually, we'll be able to run apps from google's play store ?

I believe the PC version does have access to Google Play. This is the main reason I am interested in this. My wife has a Kindle Fire, which only has access to the Amazon App Store, not Google Play. There are definitely more apps available from Google than Amazon. You can side load any apps you want onto the Fire, but I just don't trust downloading apps from random sites around the web. Who knows what kind of malware has been added. If I can get access to Google Play with Bluestacks, then I can get the .APK legitimately and then side load it onto the Fire.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
A Netflix app might be nice once it's opened up to Google Play, but it still seems pretty inconvenient having to open the emulator just to open another app. What I need is a one-click solution right from the launchpad.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Yeah, this is pretty much a file under "don't care."

Now, if an iOS emulator came to Android, that would be a real worry for Apple (though not necessarily for consumers) since that's the one thing that really preserves their market dominance. Even if there's an Android device that I like better, the lack of iOS apps makes it a non-starter.

Dave

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I believe the PC version does have access to Google Play. This is the main reason I am interested in this. My wife has a Kindle Fire, which only has access to the Amazon App Store, not Google Play. There are definitely more apps available from Google than Amazon. You can side load any apps you want onto the Fire, but I just don't trust downloading apps from random sites around the web. Who knows what kind of malware has been added. If I can get access to Google Play with Bluestacks, then I can get the .APK legitimately and then side load it onto the Fire.

No, the PC version doesn't have access to Google Play either. You can root it to install it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.