Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Could someone please help me get rid of the boot time password? cmd-opt-p-r doesn't work for me and I can't find any other things to try.

This is new 2011 macbook pro 15 i7. I have a new blank drive and more RAM in it. I also lost a lion cd to it since i can't boot to anything usable to eject it.

This is a work laptop so they put some kind of boot time password, if that makes it any clearer.

Much appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could someone please help me get rid of the boot time password? cmd-opt-p-r doesn't work for me and I can't find any other things to try.

This is new 2011 macbook pro 15 i7. I have a new blank drive and more RAM in it. I also lost a lion cd to it since i can't boot to anything usable to eject it.

This is a work laptop so they put some kind of boot time password, if that makes it any clearer.

Much appreciated.
Mac Open Firmware Password Removal - MacForensicsLab

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks, didn't see this before but essentially all it says is remove the drive or press cmd-opt-p-r. I have a new drive in and more ram and i still cannot select a boot device. all i get is the lock. am i reading this wrong?
i dont care about the data on the old drive, which is what this software does.

I think you need to take this to an Apple Store so they can confirm that it isn't stolen.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The 2010 Macbook Pro and newer cannot have their EFI password reset by the user. You'll have to take it to an Apple Store so that it can be removed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, didn't see this before but essentially all it says is remove the drive or press cmd-opt-p-r. I have a new drive in and more ram and i still cannot select a boot device. all i get is the lock. am i reading this wrong?
i dont care about the data on the old drive, which is what this software does.
No, that's not all it says. Read it again. #3 says to change the amount of RAM installed. That means if you have 4GB, take 2GB out, so the amount of RAM installed is different. Then proceed with the other steps. After you've removed the password, put the RAM back in.

The 2010 Macbook Pro and newer cannot have their EFI password reset by the user. You'll have to take it to an Apple Store so that it can be removed.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Perhaps this may help (I haven't tried this, so I can't guarantee it works):

Setting an EFI Password on Mac Computers (Models Late 2010 or Later)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No, that's not all it says. Read it again. #3 says to change the amount of RAM installed. That means if you have 4GB, take 2GB out, so the amount of RAM installed is different. Then proceed with the other steps. After you've removed the password, put the RAM back in.

The ram change trick no longer works on 2010 or newer Macs. The OP's is a 2011.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Work laptop you say? Then why are you upgrading it yourself, shouldn't this be the IT dept. work?

Anyway, there is absolutely no way to remove it, so just bring it back to work and they should fix you up.

vmpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Work laptop you say? Then why are you upgrading it yourself, shouldn't this be the IT dept. work?

Anyway, there is absolutely no way to remove it, so just bring it back to work and they should fix you up.

OK concerned citizens, what do they do in the store to reset it? I'll pray later:)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
An Apple Genius runs an utility that resets it. This utility is only usable once the Genius enters his or her Apple Connect credentials.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I'm really not sure about that, but I think they need to change the logic board.

Again, really not sure.

Also, personally I really don't care if it's stolen or not, it's none of my concern really, but can't you just call your work or bring it there to have this resolved?

----------

An Apple Genius runs an utility that resets it. This utility is only usable once the Genius enters his or her Apple Connect credentials.

I was writing my reply before this post got here... Good to know!

vmpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks for the heads up on this. Perhaps this may help (I haven't tried this, so I can't guarantee it works):

Setting an EFI Password on Mac Computers (Models Late 2010 or Later)

OK, this is a step forward.
With the old drive back in, I have /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/. However, the permissions are taken away. Again, work admin bs which I'm trying to get rid. Anyways, it would seem I can slave this drive to another laptop and open up this directory to try something.
The only thing that makes it doubtful is the this
/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/setregproptool –p <newpassword> -o <oldpassword>
it requires the old password. Is there a force reset, can anyone check?

Any other ideas? Thanks

----------

What's an apple genius? White shirt and a screwdriver and a set of instructions. I'm shivering with excitement to meet this extraordinaire.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What's an apple genius? White shirt and a screwdriver and a set of instructions. I'm shivering with excitement to meet this extraordinaire.
"Genius" is the job title Apple gives to its technical support personnel. It is only a job title and is not necessarily a reflection of their knowledge, experience or expertise.

vmpunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
So not to leave an unresolved thread and I'm already passed this. Here is a few tips on what you can do.

Since, I could only boot from the original company drive (no usb boot, no cd boot, not even other drive boot) I needed to gain root access. This can be done by slaving the drive to another OS. I used another laptop with koppix boot cd and the mac drive inside.
You will need to mount the hfsplus mac volume. (Shut down your mac clean otherwise it complains on mount)
from memory, cmd was something like this
mount -t hfsplus -o force rw /dev/sda2 /media/sda2
Then, you'll need to edit or replace
/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/root.plist
to have a working password, google more on this if you're in my exact situation
Once, you have full control of the OS, the best I can offer is getting setregproptool from /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Installer/Applications/Utilities/Firmware\ Password\ Utility/Contents/Resources
It won't work for you as described as it requires the original password but that doesn't mean you can't try a million times. It is a command line utility and you can fairly easily script a brute force loop to get at the password.
I've read some posts that setregproptool is a bit clunky but based on the usage description, it should be able to do this.
Good luck folks.

HASHER

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
There I have the same problem Is there a solution Please help Change RAM is useless

enferrari

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2011
There I have the same problem Is there a solution Please help Change RAM is useless

I'll explain what happens...You MUST take it to the Apple Store...just schedule an appointment. When you arrive they will chat with what they call TSPS support (its some engineers in a foreign country) and they will email your genius a key which they flash to the motherboard to remove the EFI password. The EFI password has been strengthened with the 2011 MacBook models and 2010 MacBook Air model.

yosgar

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
same issue

hi, i have almost the same problem, the only difference is that i managed to access do root user in the OS, and from there i ran teh osx installation so when the macbook pro restarted it restarted directly from the CD without giving me teh lock screen. now from here i can access the ram password but it keep asking me for the old one. is there a way to reset it having the admin rights or from the installation CD without putting the old one?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
No, you have to take it to an Apple Store - where they can generate the code to reset it. The team needed only work mon-friday though, so you may have a bit of a wait (they can't generate them directly in store).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.