Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
You are aware that the Facebook integration in iOS 6 requires that the Facebook app be installed right? It's just like the Twitter integration in iOS 5.

Except that you don't need the Twitter app installed. It's an option to install from that control panel, but you don't need to install it to get full integration with the OS.

BassPlayer

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
Yes, faster and more stable would be great. Those improvements should be the least that happens.

As a musician who relies on Facebook for band promotion, I would love to have the ability to create events and invite people to them from my iPhone/iPad. If iOS6 is going to integrate events to my calendar app, I think it would make sense to be able to use Facebook on iOS to create events and invite people. The "Pages" app doesn't let you, and even in Safari, it is a royal pain in the a$$ to invite people once you create the event.

The way I see it, the largest social site on the web is heavilly integrating with the company that has ushered in the "Post PC World". It's frustrating to therefore have to rely on my PC to do one of the most important functions I use Facebook for.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Like watching paint drying.

It could hardly be any slower than it is now - it's like back in 7600 dial-up days :)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I'm all for a faster app, but the current HTML5 one was wayyyyyyyyyy faster for me a few months ago than it has been recently, so it seems like something else has been going on with them. Even from a desktop browser, Facebook has been slower/glitchier lately than before.

That slow down you're feeling is the heavy use of Javascript libraries which must be cached.

A real native application in ObjC will always stomp all over a Javascript/Web App.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
ABOUT FRIGGEN TIME. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Having 3k+ Facebook "friends" and this HTML5 nasty has produced a HORRIBLE experience. As an app developer myself, I have never understood how the Facebook QA team was okay with such a horrible user experience. :confused:

No wonder I don't have many problems with it, I don't have enough friends! :)

That might actually be related to the issue. The UITableView class used for most lists in iOS apps is quite cleverly implemented in its handling of big lists. If you have a list of 3,000 friends, the table view class only creates how many rows are visible on the screen (plus 1, if you're partially scrolled through a row). Every time you scroll, it grabs a row that just became hidden and reuses it for a row that's becoming visible at the other end. So long lists consume less memory and scroll very quickly.

In a HTML5 app Facebook might be dynamically fetching rows when you scroll towards the bottom, but I imagine they're just adding them onto an increasingly long list of rows, which will impact performance.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Uh huh... the Facebook app really is soooo bad... it almost seems like a joke. I mean seriously, for a such a big company, it's preposterously unstable... it reflects badly on the company...

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
Hopefully this will let us copy phone numbers from message or FB Group postings

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Most importantly for me, will this improve the reliability of push notifications from the Facebook App?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Most importantly for me, will this improve the reliability of push notifications from the Facebook App?

Nope, that's an issue on Facebook's servers.

However, if it could finally fix bloody copy and paste so you could copy the text of a wall post (for example because it contains updated address details for an event or a contact phone number) that would be very helpful, as the current nonsense drives me up the freakin wall.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Hmm. My bad experiences with the Facebook app have usually been super slow network connections and timeouts, not the UI lag you'd expect if it was a layout engine issue. I have to wonder if they're putting all the blame on HTML 5 to avoid admitting other engineering flaws.

Yet if it were a native app, you wouldn't notice these quite so badly.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Sounds like good news. At times, it seemed the Facebook html5 browser worked better. Hopefully, with this change, they plan to put in true support for Facebook updates lest we have to deal with consistent incompatibilities everytime they do one of those silent Facebook updates in the back end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.