Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

codblops.png

Call of Duty: Black Ops, the bestselling first-person shooter, is coming to the Mac this fall from Aspyr.

Pricing and system requirements have not been announced, but the game will include the full single-player campaign, multiplayer, and both co-op and single-player Zombie mode.
Aspyr Media, Inc., the leader in Mac game publishing, announced today that Activision Publishing, Inc.'s record-setting Call of Duty®: Black Ops will be coming to the Mac. Developed originally by award-winning studio Treyarch and brought to the Mac by Aspyr Media, the Mac version of the epic Call of Duty® blockbuster will be available on Macs worldwide in digital and boxed formats this fall.

Call of Duty: Black Ops takes players to conflicts across the globe as elite black operations forces fight in the deniable operations and secret wars that occurred under the veil of the Cold War. Featuring an adrenaline-pumping single-player campaign, out-of-this-world Zombies co-operative game mode, and an incredibly deep multiplayer experience, Call of Duty: Black Ops delivers the complete Call of Duty experience with amazing enhanced graphics, streaming texture technology, and superior lighting effects for the most immersive and cinematic action.
NewImage32.png

Along with the Black Ops announcement, Aspyr has put Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, and Call of Duty 4 on sale for 50% off on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] and the GameAgent digital download store.

Article Link: Call of Duty: Black Ops Coming to Mac This Fall, Half-Price Sale on Older CoD Titles

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
The entire series is overpriced for their age and qualities.

I enjoyed the first two YEARS ago, but seeing them at those prices now is a bit ridiculous.

Then again I just checked on Steam and the windows versions are as expensive if not more, even if they have been there since late 2006 (6+ years old games should see a declining price). At least Steam offers packs (that are still overpriced).

I wonder if the latest games are true ports or Cider wrappers?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great news! I just hope Aspyr can fill in the gaps and bring out World at War and/or MW2 next.

You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

I’m for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.

Exactly. Even though I have bootcamp, I'm just not a day 1 person when it comes to games. My intense backlog of games insures that. I'd also rather get this on the Mac so I really don't mind waiting.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

I’m for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.

yes but by fall when its suppose to be release it will be a 2year old game. they should be working on MW3 for Mac

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I haven't played a game in many years, do you typically need a mouse to play these?

Yea, a good ol' mouse and keyboard is all you need for any first person shooter, and most PC/Mac games for that matter.

Over The Hill

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
yes but by fall when its suppose to be release it will be a 2year old game. they should be working on MW3 for Mac

So what? Will it be less fun? I still play Diablo II from time to time. I really have no idea what this year counting thing has at all to do with games. If a game is good, it’s good.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Yea, a good ol' mouse and keyboard is all you need for any first person shooter, and most PC/Mac games for that matter.

K thanks. I guess no gaming for me, not worth buying a mouse just to play the occasional game. I guess there is always chess or iPad games.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Now I am really hoping that the iMacs are updated soon with decent graphic card options.
I've run this game on my 2011 iMac through boot camp in 1080p with no problems. The current line of iMacs should be plenty sufficient for this.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I've run this game on my 2011 iMac through boot camp in 1080p with no problems. The current line of iMacs should be plenty sufficient for this.

Ja, but at how many FPS? Plus I'd like to give BF3 a whirl at Ultra with 45+FPS. Sure that it might be a bit of a pipe dream as it would prolly take a GTX 680 or so on a 27", but still...

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Now I am really hoping that the iMacs are updated soon with decent graphic card options.

Newer iMac be damned :) Any current iMac will play it just fine. I played this game almost 2 years ago on my 2009 iMac, using Crossover Windows emulator, with decent graphics settings.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I wish we would see a Mac Pro priced at the Mac Mini level with lower specs of course.. I love being able to upgrade a computer..

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Ja, but at how many FPS? Plus I'd like to give BF3 a whirl at Ultra with 45+FPS. Sure that it might be a bit of a pipe dream as it would prolly take a GTX 680 or so on a 27", but still...
I don't know about the exact frame rate because I don't know how to set that up, but I do know it was buttery smooth on max settings.

As for Battlefield 3, I also obtained a VERY smooth framerate out of that game in all max settings playing at 1600x900 resolution. Of course, then just for laughs I tried playing the game on the LOWEST resolution and was amazed to find almost NO difference in overall graphical quality. I had very similar results with Crysis 2.

Note that in all this I was using the same iMac cited in my signature, and I was running it all in Windows 7 64-bit through Bootcamp. It's about as optimized as you can get gaming on an iMac to be today... but it's still a benchmark nonetheless.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
K thanks. I guess no gaming for me, not worth buying a mouse just to play the occasional game. I guess there is always chess or iPad games.

Well I have seen people here who have experiences using the trackpad to play shooting games and they find it enjoyable. Not my own preferred input method, but it may be worth checking out. You could always grab a free demo at Steam, like Portal and give it a try. But if your using something like a track ball however, I wouldn't bother :p

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Well I have seen people here who have experiences using the trackpad to play shooting games and they find it enjoyable. Not my own preferred input method, but it may be worth checking out. You could always grab a free demo at Steam, like Portal and give it a try. But if your using something like a track ball however, I wouldn't bother :p

Nice tips. Didn't know they had demos. Thanks.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I wouldn't think using my track pad would be enjoyable at all for fast paced shooters like this? I'll have to try it out sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.