Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Well as I have intimated in previous posts, I did finally take the plunge to get a SSGS3. Here are my opinions/assessments on it compared to my iP4.

Build Quality:

Despite what some people say about the build quality, I think the device feels lovely in my quite small hands. It has a nice feel to it, best compared to a really nice slick candy that slides across your tongue or a really good quality chocolate that just melts in your mouth like silk. No I am not biting on the device, but to say it feels cheap is BS (remember this is all MY opinion). It is light as hell and compared to the build quality of the iP4 (which is my comparison basis), feels more nimble and light. Yes iP4 has a SOLID build to it, it is a lovely device but the GS3 feels lighter and nicer in the hand.

Screen:

The screen IS awesome. I can see no difference in text or desktop resolution. I was anticipating to see some fuzzy but I see nothing to say that it is in any way less than the retina screen. The real estate of the screen is also amazing. If this was a factor to keep from switching, don't even sweat it.

Size:

OK here I am mixed. I do like the pocket-ability of the iP4 make no bones about that. SSGS3 is NOT a pocket phone in any way, shape or form. If you have really baggy pants or large pockets you can fit it in there but for me, since I value investments, it will now either be in a holster or in my purse.

As far as texting, I find it the same if not a little bit better than the iP4 (i love the haptic feed back, but have currently disengaged it to solve a battery issue). Even though I have short stumpy thumbs it works well. I am looking into getting a thumb keyboard app which splits the keyboard like it does on the iPad.

Reading and watching everything is better on this device. Especially as you get a bit older haha!

One handed texting: Awkward, but I have never one hand texted much before so it's not an issue for me. This might be a deal breaker for some though. I couldn't one hand text for shizz anyways...

Speed:

Yep it's fast but this is my first 4G/LTE phone so I am not really going to count that as a comparison.

Battery:

Here is the pain. Firstly since this is my first Android phone, other than reading forums etc I really can't judge what is GOOD for an Android phone battery...I can only compare it to the iP4 and the iP4 wins hands down for battery.

I know I have to be much more diligent with my usage and what to have on vs what I did with the iP4. With the iPhone, I never had to turn off things such as wifi, bluetooth etc just to save battery. I realize the screen takes a lot of juice and I have it turned down accordingly. What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it. I am getting a full day out of the phone, but I hear others are doing much better than I (even after going to several sites and learning tips on how to best conserve battery on Android phone).

So, the battery comes nowhere near the iPhone4. This is not a deal breaker for me as I am still new to it and I still have a learning curve on the device. I hear this is an issue for the european versions (regarding cell phone standby).

Odds and Ends:

I am sure I haven't even begun to tap the depth of what this device can do. It is really easy to get wallpapers, ringtones etc to customize it and this is a delight.

I haven't delved into the music aspect yet, but video plays smooth and loads fast.

The speaker is much better than on the iP4 for listening to music when I am in the shower.

I have taken some video and a few pics and the camera seems to work well but I will go more into it this weekend.

Call quality is great both on receiving end and my end.

I had a beeotch of a time trying to convince my friends idevices that my phone number was no longer associated with an apple ID. I had to actually turn off iMessage AND remove the device from my account on the Apple website as I would text my friends and their texts would bounce to my iPhone.

Again, I am just starting the learning curve, but so far no regrets. The apps I have downloaded look great but one thing that blows is that for the Mint.com finance one, Android doesn't allow you a quick search function to choose what you spent your money on when you are entering an expenditure which iPhone app does (huge time saver that is too!).

Now it is just the time will tell. If I can get the battery to work as I expect it should and if the device proves as reliable and constant as my iPhone then I will have no regrets.

UPDATE: Still experiencing some issues with battery but am unsure as to whether it is me with a new device or I am just spoiled with the iP4 battery life.

UPDATE 2: Gameloft games are not recognized on this device, which is a bit of a bummer. Hoping they address the issue soon. Also, I think my battery may have resolved itself, but I won't know this for sure over time. Oh and for GODS sake!! If you have a Blizzard Authenticator App, REMOVE it from your account FIRST before you switch your phone! Then reissue it to your account using your new phone!

I have discovered a program/app called isync which allows you to sync playlists etc from iTunes to your Android device and it seems to work well, you can reverse sync also from what I read.

I also took some pretty damn good fireworks pictures this evening with the phone for Canada Day!

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
This lull in Apple innovation is causing a lot of people here to take the Android plunge.

I gotta say that it's kind of embarrassing that there's men here who claim that the iPhone is too big and meanwhile, we've got women buying 4.8" Android phones and not complaining about them at all.

Wrathwitch, I did the same thing and I'm having zero regrets as well. Android isn't perfect but it's farther along in the direction that mobile OSes need to go.

Enjoy your device!

Last edited by a moderator:

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it.

Cell standby might be listed as the most power consuming just because you aren't consuming much power. If that makes sense.

Most often your screen should be highest on the list, but if it's not then there's nary a reason to fret.

The only time you should be worried about cell standby is if you have a high percentage of time without a signal. In that case, it is the fault of your carrier rather than Android. Hope this helps.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
This lull in Apple innovation is causing a lot of people here to take the Android plunge.

I gotta say that it's kind of embarrassing that there's men here who claim that the iPhone is too big and meanwhile, we've got women buying 4.8" Android phones and not complaining about them at all.

Wrathwitch, I did the same thing and I'm having zero regrets as well. Android isn't perfect but it's farther along in the direction that mobile OSes need to go.

Enjoy your device!

LOL probably cuz most dudes don't want to have to carry a man purse to carry it with them! How do you carry yours? As I really meant it when I said I would not keep it in pocket.

Waiting for my SGP screen protector to come in. Til then I am treating it with kid gloves.

----------

Cell standby might be listed as the most power consuming just because you aren't consuming much power. If that makes sense.

Most often your screen should be highest on the list, but if it's not then there's nary a reason to fret.

The only time you should be worried about cell standby is if you have a high percentage of time without a signal. In that case, it is the fault of your carrier rather than Android. Hope this helps.

Actually, your words make a great deal of sense!!! The other day when I had it on for about 5 hours straight, when I looked at the battery app, it did NOT have Cell standby listed in the top areas!!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Yea, cause all women are midgets and all men are giants. :rolleyes:

On another note: I thought it was suppose to have equal or better bat life than the iPhone.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
LOL probably cuz most dudes don't want to have to carry a man purse to carry it with them! How do you carry yours? As I really meant it when I said I would not keep it in pocket.

Exactly I don't carry a purse, and I don't wear ghetto pants with pockets big enough to fit an iPad in. I wear regular jeans and khakis, and my iPhone fits comfortable in my pants pockets (Don't even notice it), but when I put a case on it I don't like it. So I have been going caseless since the iPhone 3G.

Though I own a case for when I take it skiing or hunting or someplace I think I might break it.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
I have a screen protector on mine and that's it. Sits in my pocket for the last month and so far no problems. Like you, I don't like cases.

On the battery life. I take my phone off battery at 7am and charge again at night at about 11pm, when I have at least 40% left. You will find that using the screen a lot will chew the battery - its a 4.8 inch screen vs the iphone's 3.5(?) so yes its going to be a lot more power hungry.

Try juice defender pro (couple of $). Its pretty good at handling the 3g/wifi connections and also the syncing interval (something that also eats battery).

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010

Waiting for my SGP screen protector to come in. Til then I am treating it with kid gloves.
I've got the Galaxy Nexus so its a bit heavier yet smaller than yours with a 4.65 inch screen and I have no problem with just putting it into any pocket I have because unlike most men here I seem to have pockets that aren't pressed against my skin.

I would suggest you get a nice slim case for it. When you sell it a year or two down the road, you'll get a great return considering how many listings for non-mint Galaxy phones I see.

I'd also like to advise you on the battery issue. You seem to be quite a lady for going past the Apple reality distortion field and trying new things so here's another good step to take:

This is now your central hub of information for your new phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1563

You'll find a lot of information here about how to root your phone, unlocking your bootloader and then installing custom ROMs and most importantly, custom kernels, which can mean the difference between a phone that lasts a day and a phone that can last SEVERAL days. There's a great toolkit in the development section that will do all these functions easily for you, and once you get the hang of optimizing your handset, you'll feel like you're using a completely different phone.

Good luck!

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I think the real issue here is the switch to a fall iPhone launch instead of a summer release. Many people have available upgrades and want a new phone but don't want a 2 year old designed 4/S. Will this hurt Apple in the long run in terms of a mass exodus to Android? I doubt it, but Apple now more than ever really needs to hit a home run with the next iPhone as the competition is now fiercer than ever.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power.

1) The battery usage page is confusing. It's not showing the actual amount each item uses. It's just showing the percentage for each item over time.

It's as if you didn't do anything all day, but took a nap for 10 minutes. The nap would be counted as 100% use of your time, because nothing else of interest for the chart took place :)

2) I always warn people about the "new toy" battery syndrome. We all tend to use the heck out of a new device, without even realizing it. Looking at the screen, wallpapers, fidding with settings, moving icons around etc.

So naturally the first few days the battery will seem to die more quickly than we expected.

That said, I also almost always buy an extended battery that fits in the same slot, if the battery can be changed (can it, on this model?). It's cheap happiness.

Good luck!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I wear slacks to be professional at work (so they have pretty small pockets) and I have to say when I slid the SIII into my pockets the device just felt like it disappeared. To be more accurate it just felt form fitting. The thinness is really a marvel and helps deal with the size of the phone.

Kudos to the OP for giving android a fair shot.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Apple now more than ever really needs to hit a home run with the next iPhone as the competition is now fiercer than ever.
Eh, not really. The only true competitor is Android.

• Windows Phone has failed to make a splash, despite the marketing push.
  • Blackberry is bleeding out like a stuck pig and RIM will probably be bought out.
  • Tizen isn't out yet and won't make a big splash this Fall because there's no apps on the horizon.
  • BootToGecko is still in Alpha state.
  • WebOS died an obscure death, with its top man working for Google now.
  • Meltemi is even more obscure than WebOS and got shelved yet again by Nokia recently.

It's still a 2 horse race. I'd like it to be 5 horses but really, Apple and Google are too mature and too ubiquitous to be reckoned with.

npggirl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
City of your dreams
Well as I have intimated in previous posts, I did finally take the plunge to get a SSGS3. Here are my opinions/assessments on it compared to my iP4.

Build Quality:

Despite what some people say about the build quality, I think the device feels lovely in my quite small hands. It has a nice feel to it, best compared to a really nice slick candy that slides across your tongue or a really good quality chocolate that just melts in your mouth like silk. No I am not biting on the device, but to say it feels cheap is BS (remember this is all MY opinion). It is light as hell and compared to the build quality of the iP4 (which is my comparison basis), feels more nimble and light. Yes iP4 has a SOLID build to it, it is a lovely device but the GS3 feels lighter and nicer in the hand.

Screen:

The screen IS awesome. I can see no difference in text or desktop resolution. I was anticipating to see some fuzzy but I see nothing to say that it is in any way less than the retina screen. The real estate of the screen is also amazing. If this was a factor to keep from switching, don't even sweat it.

Size:

OK here I am mixed. I do like the pocket-ability of the iP4 make no bones about that. SSGS3 is NOT a pocket phone in any way, shape or form. If you have really baggy pants or large pockets you can fit it in there but for me, since I value investments, it will now either be in a holster or in my purse.

As far as texting, I find it the same if not a little bit better than the iP4 (i love the haptic feed back, but have currently disengaged it to solve a battery issue). Even though I have short stumpy thumbs it works well. I am looking into getting a thumb keyboard app which splits the keyboard like it does on the iPad.

Reading and watching everything is better on this device. Especially as you get a bit older haha!

One handed texting: Awkward, but I have never one hand texted much before so it's not an issue for me. This might be a deal breaker for some though. I couldn't one hand text for shizz anyways...

Speed:

Yep it's fast but this is my first 4G/LTE phone so I am not really going to count that as a comparison.

Battery:

Here is the pain. Firstly since this is my first Android phone, other than reading forums etc I really can't judge what is GOOD for an Android phone battery...I can only compare it to the iP4 and the iP4 wins hands down for battery.

I know I have to be much more diligent with my usage and what to have on vs what I did with the iP4. With the iPhone, I never had to turn off things such as wifi, bluetooth etc just to save battery. I realize the screen takes a lot of juice and I have it turned down accordingly. What is bloody wierd is that I am getting a crap tonne of battery drain from Cell standby when I use the battery guage to see what resources are using power. I am still working on this to see how I can configure it. I am getting a full day out of the phone, but I hear others are doing much better than I (even after going to several sites and learning tips on how to best conserve battery on Android phone).

So, the battery comes nowhere near the iPhone4. This is not a deal breaker for me as I am still new to it and I still have a learning curve on the device. I hear this is an issue for the european versions (regarding cell phone standby).

Odds and Ends:

I am sure I haven't even begun to tap the depth of what this device can do. It is really easy to get wallpapers, ringtones etc to customize it and this is a delight.

I haven't delved into the music aspect yet, but video plays smooth and loads fast.

The speaker is much better than on the iP4 for listening to music when I am in the shower.

I have taken some video and a few pics and the camera seems to work well but I will go more into it this weekend.

Call quality is great both on receiving end and my end.

I had a beeotch of a time trying to convince my friends idevices that my phone number was no longer associated with an apple ID. I had to actually turn off iMessage AND remove the device from my account on the Apple website as I would text my friends and their texts would bounce to my iPhone.

Again, I am just starting the learning curve, but so far no regrets. The apps I have downloaded look great but one thing that blows is that for the Mint.com finance one, Android doesn't allow you a quick search function to choose what you spent your money on when you are entering an expenditure which iPhone app does (huge time saver that is too!).

Now it is just the time will tell. If I can get the battery to work as I expect it should and if the device proves as reliable and constant as my iPhone then I will have no regrets.

I want to thank you for your post!
I appreciate the honesty and simplicity in your review and am now a bit more at ease for pre-ordering the SGS3 for Verizon in the U.S.
I, as odd as it may sound, have honestly felt sad in ways since I pre-ordered the SGS3 simply because I have always talked Apple iPhones UP! The reason for talking Apple up is because I have had Androids in the past (when Verizon did not have iPhone...I had iPhone with ATT but the service was awful, so i switched to Verizon in hopes they would one day get the iPhone...and they did) and every Android I ever had was choppy, bumpy, nowhere near as seamless as the iPhone. I am talking the OS here, not the body of the phone... As soon as Verizon got the iPhone I switched and have had it ever since...BUT, I was honestly disappointed when there was absolutely NO design change last year...none! I was already sick of the small screen, not that I have to have a HUGE screen, but seriously, IMO, the iPhone is too small! I was tired of purchasing songs, then if I wanted a ringtone, I either had to go through a 5 minute process to make the darn thing into a ringtone, OR purchace a CLIP of a song for the same darn price as a full song from iTunes. Tired of attempting to read anything in landscape mode, while using the keyboard (you can see one line at best). Just tired of some of the things that truly are made simpler on an Android.
But still, I could not forget how horrible the Android OS was after using it after a few months.
I have heard since that they have gotten better, and finally when I saw the SGS3, I just felt this overwhelming urge to try Android again. I hovered over the Pre-Order button 5 or 6 times on separate occasions until I finally took the plunge...
Worst case, I can sale the SGS3 when the iPhone 5, or New iPhone comes out IF the iPhone is actually different...
But your observations have made me less ill at ease, so I thank you!
;)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I carry my S3 in my back pocket usually. It fits fine. Jeans or dress pants, I haven't had any issues.

Sometimes around the office I use to carry my iPhone 4S in my shirt pocket. It's a little weird with the S3. Phone is longer so camera sticks out above pocket. Looks like you're filming everybody.

My battery usage is great. I have the international version. I have heard LTE eats up more battery. However, now that I settled in with phone and am not playing with it every 2 seconds. It easily lasts all day.

Great phone as was my 4S. Definitely loving the larger screen and features.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Enjoy your device!

iphone too big? I have no idea what person would say that.
I used to have a Droid x and it was ok until i sold it, but these new android phones make the droid x look tiny. IMO 4 inches is the sweet spot for phones.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I think the real issue here is the switch to a fall iPhone launch instead of a summer release. Many people have available upgrades and want a new phone but don't a 2 year old designed 4/S. Will this hurt Apple in the long run in terms of a mass exodus to Android? I doubt it, but Apple now more than ever really needs to hit a home run with the next iPhone as the competition is now fiercer than ever.

I am sure they will release an awesome device. I have no fear on that. I AM relieved to feel that I won't feel anxious wondering if I made the right decision.

1) The battery usage page is confusing. It's not showing the actual amount each item uses. It's just showing the percentage for each item over time.

It's as if you didn't do anything all day, but took a nap for 10 minutes. The nap would be counted as 100% use of your time, because nothing else of interest for the chart took place :)

2) I always warn people about the "new toy" battery syndrome. We all tend to use the heck out of a new device, without even realizing it. Looking at the screen, wallpapers, fidding with settings, moving icons around etc.

So naturally the first few days the battery will seem to die more quickly than we expected.

That said, I also almost always buy an extended battery that fits in the same slot, if the battery can be changed (can it, on this model?). It's cheap happiness.

Good luck!

My issue is that from wake up 04:50a.m(unplug from charger) checked 2 emails, messed with settings til 06:07a.m I went from 100% to 95% (not sure if this is normal but seems a bit excessive.

Eh, not really. The only true competitor is Android.

• Windows Phone has failed to make a splash, despite the marketing push.
  • Blackberry is bleeding out like a stuck pig and RIM will probably be bought out.
  • Tizen isn't out yet and won't make a big splash this Fall because there's no apps on the horizon.
  • BootToGecko is still in Alpha state.
  • WebOS died an obscure death, with its top man working for Google now.
  • Meltemi is even more obscure than WebOS and got shelved yet again by Nokia recently.

It's still a 2 horse race. I'd like it to be 5 horses but really, Apple and Google are too mature and too ubiquitous to be reckoned with.

I think Windows will/is making a comeback, almost no reviews I have read on the device has had significant negative things to say, and much more positive on that scale.

I want to thank you for your post!
I appreciate the honesty and simplicity in your review and am now a bit more at ease for pre-ordering the SGS3 for Verizon in the U.S.
I, as odd as it may sound, have honestly felt sad in ways since I pre-ordered the SGS3 simply because I have always talked Apple iPhones UP! The reason for talking Apple up is because I have had Androids in the past (when Verizon did not have iPhone...I had iPhone with ATT but the service was awful, so i switched to Verizon in hopes they would one day get the iPhone...and they did) and every Android I ever had was choppy, bumpy, nowhere near as seamless as the iPhone. I am talking the OS here, not the body of the phone... As soon as Verizon got the iPhone I switched and have had it ever since...BUT, I was honestly disappointed when there was absolutely NO design change last year...none! I was already sick of the small screen, not that I have to have a HUGE screen, but seriously, IMO, the iPhone is too small! I was tired of purchasing songs, then if I wanted a ringtone, I either had to go through a 5 minute process to make the darn thing into a ringtone, OR purchace a CLIP of a song for the same darn price as a full song from iTunes. Tired of attempting to read anything in landscape mode, while using the keyboard (you can see one line at best). Just tired of some of the things that truly are made simpler on an Android.
But still, I could not forget how horrible the Android OS was after using it after a few months.
I have heard since that they have gotten better, and finally when I saw the SGS3, I just felt this overwhelming urge to try Android again. I hovered over the Pre-Order button 5 or 6 times on separate occasions until I finally took the plunge...
Worst case, I can sale the SGS3 when the iPhone 5, or New iPhone comes out IF the iPhone is actually different...
But your observations have made me less ill at ease, so I thank you!
;)

Not a problem, happy to help.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Given that the OP specifically described it as a purse phone, I'm wondering just what exactly you're suggesting to me here.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Women don't typically carry phones the way men do.

Well I can't speak for most women (didn't start carrying a purse til I hit my 30s) but for the most part in the 2 years I owned my iP4, I have been because I didn't like carrying it in my pocket. Once I put a Mophie battery pack case on it, it felt a lot more protected and less fragile so I started putting it in pocket on occasion then. SGP screen protector ftw. Phone still looks MINT. I am sure my mom will love it. I am giving her my iP4.

How DO most other women carry theirs? Yes this is a bit of a departure from the initial post but now I am curious....

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
The Galaxy S III has a bigger screen, beefier processor, and most importantly, an LTE radio. So, ofcourse the iPhone 4 will have batter battery life!

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
The cell standby high usage is just a known harmless bug, it isnt actually using as much as it says, you can root your phone and edit some file to make it show the correct usage but it doesnt bother me.

Also every test Ive seen along with my own experience has the s3 having a way better battery life than the 4/4s.Just to add Im not a fanboy of Android or ios, I just like buying as what as I see as the best device at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.