Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bslax28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
so i got a 12" pb two days ago. its incredible, superdrive, 80 gb, 1.5 ghz.. etc.. lovin it. but.. i have two questions about it. first, AIM crashes after about 10 minutes of IMing. i just click try again and it opens up no problem, but then crashes several minutes later. any idea why? should i delete it and then reinstall it? any other suggestions?

also, i assume this is normal, but im stiting here iwth my pb on my lab watching tv and its really hot. i mean, reallly hot. how hot do your powerbooks get and is this a problem at all? should it not be used for extended periods of time?

thanks for the help

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I would recommend Adium over AIM, just off the bat. Much more fun to use, you can get it at: http://adiumx.com/. Other than that, yeah, my PowerBook heats up, but not so much that I can't use it. I do avoid putting it on my lap, though. Are you running and programs that take heavy processing power? Oddly enough, even Firefox is a huge CPU drain, so you may wanna limit the amount of apps running at the same time if you're using it on the go.

bslax28

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
thanks, adium works well. this is my first mac, after going through 4 pc's, and i love it. who cares if it was made obsolete two days after i bought it? haha

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
bslax28 said:
thanks, adium works well. this is my first mac, after going through 4 pc's, and i love it. who cares if it was made obsolete two days after i bought it? haha

Hey, if you bought it and Apple released a new version right afterwards, you may be able to trade it in. Give them a call. If that's what you meant be "obsolete" of course.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
yep, they get pretty hot. I would recommend some kind of stand for it, it's easier on the wrists and keeps it cooler, definitely a good idea when you're mobile as the fan can use a fair amount of power.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
bslax28 said:
also, i assume this is normal, but im stiting here iwth my pb on my lab watching tv and its really hot. i mean, reallly hot. how hot do your powerbooks get and is this a problem at all? should it not be used for extended periods of time?

I've read good things about the iLap from http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html I'm thinking about getting it. As far as temperatures go, a lot of people reccomend downloading Temperature Monitor from VersionTracker at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994 .

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
I just make sure to have a pillow on my lap or something :p

However, no need for condom's now, just cook the little buggers ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
altair said:
I just make sure to have a pillow on my lap or something :p

The pillow will actually absorb heat and make the powerbook get super hot. No es bueno!
the icepad(?) from MacAlly is nice. I have one (but can't remember the exact name!)
it can either be a little tilted stand or you fold it out to make a lap stand.
it's got airflow channels and everything! :D :D
I love my Mac accessories... hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.