Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
Hi

I'm suffering from slow internet speeds. I believe the problem lies with the ISP, because:

• My wife's iPad and my MBP are experiencing same problems at same time.
  • It's an intermittent problem. A few minutes in every hour, or sometimes an hour or two every day.
  • As well as slow internet, we're sometimes getting no internet – for minutes or hours (Just Internet; not Airport, ISP etc).

I do receive technical support, and I'd like to complain and maybe ask for a different ISP. But I know that if I do, the tech support people will say things like: "Define slow" or "Maybe you're accessing slow sites" or "Are you using it at peak time?" or "Are you just using more bandwidth?" (And maybe I don't blame them.)

I need empirical data to argue my case. So my question is: Is there an easy way of measuring internet performance over time and automatically recording those results? Maybe a utility I could download?

Marcus

MarcusH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
THANKS!

Speedtest is really great! The problem though is that when I need to measure the internet speed, the internet is so slow that I cannot activate the Speedtest test!! :( So in my case, Speedtest just works when the internet is operating normally.

If there were an application that I could download and install, then I could measure really slow speeds and record when the internet has gone down entirely. Does such a thing exist?

PS By the way Speakeasy doesn't work in my country.

MarcusH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
And the answer is….

For the sake of anyone with the same problem who finds this thread, the answer is an app called Network Logger. :D

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-logger/id448857637?mt=12

As I said, my problem with Speedtest was that it didn't work when my internet was down or slow, which kind of defeated the purpose, for me at least. Network logger on the other hand can generate an internet outage log that you can show your ISP or tech support or whoever. It runs constantly in the background and doesn't take up much system resource.

A professional network or website manager might need something better, but those tools cost a whole load more than the $2.99 that Network Logger cost me.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.