Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone know if external drives like seagates backup plus will work correctly with USB 3.0 on the new Air?

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Does anyone here use USB 3.0 HDD's on the new MBA? Whats your experience been like?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I don't have a computer with USB 3.0 or know anyone with a mac that has one. However my PC owning friend has 2-3 USB 3.0 drives and they perform well. The speed is excellent; way better than USB 2.0 and even quite a bit better than Firewire 800.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I just received a Seagate "Expansion" 1TB portable USB 3 drive to use with my new MacBook Air.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...1071344&sr=8-1&keywords=seagate+expansion+1tb

I used it last night to do a Time Machine backup (after formatting it for OS X) and it was quite fast. Watching "Activity Monitor" it seemed to run at 70-80 MBs most of the time. Occasionally it would slow down to 30-40 MBs probably when writing many small files, or when my system was busy doing something else.

-howard

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
I have a Goflex 2.5" with USB3, and it's fast as hell compared to USB2. Glad I upgraded from my 2011 MBA :)

Thanks man. Do you think it would cause problems or overheating to leave mine plugged in all the time at my desk?

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
How can you read what your transfer speed is? On my PC it just shows up, but not on my Mac.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
Thanks man. Do you think it would cause problems or overheating to leave mine plugged in all the time at my desk?

Do you mean leaving it plugged in to an outlet or your computer? If it's plugged into the outlet it won't be spinning because it isn't working. If you leave it plugged into your computer it will decrease the life of the HD because it is constantly spinning.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I purchased a USB 3.0 enclosure from NewEgg and created my own backup drive using a hybrid HDD. I get transfer speeds of about 80MB/s. With an SSD I get about twice that. It works well.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Do you mean leaving it plugged in to an outlet or your computer? If it's plugged into the outlet it won't be spinning because it isn't working. If you leave it plugged into your computer it will decrease the life of the HD because it is constantly spinning.

I mean leaving it plugged into the USB port. It runs on USB power so will be drawing all power from the Air (not wall socket).

I don't see how decrease in life span is any different than internal HDDs? The whole point is theres not enough room when you're used to 1TB in MBP.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I mean leaving it plugged into the USB port. It runs on USB power so will be drawing all power from the Air (not wall socket).

I don't see how decrease in life span is any different than internal HDDs? The whole point is theres not enough room when you're used to 1TB in MBP.

When you close the lid, the HDD will power down. However, because something is plugged into the USB port, the MacBook Air won't drop into "deep sleep" if you unplug it, meaning it will draw a bit more power while asleep than otherwise.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
When you close the lid, the HDD will power down. However, because something is plugged into the USB port, the MacBook Air won't drop into "deep sleep" if you unplug it, meaning it will draw a bit more power while asleep than otherwise.

Ok, I could just eject and unplug before sleeping to avoid this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.