Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I'm not sure why this is happening... I try to crop ONE screenshot in the Photos app (the native one) and I have *nothing* else Open, and the Phone crashes. It's an iPhone 4S running the latest iOS software, and I'm not sure what's causing it to crash. The image I'm editing isn't huge, it's a measly little screenshot.

None of the other apps are running in the background, so there should be sufficient RAM...

Why is this happening? I'm able to reproduce this bug easily. I've done it 7 times now and each time It won't let me edit the Image. The shutdown symbol comes up and the phone just restarts (Apple Logo >> Lock Screen)

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm flummoxed... :(

EDIT:

Here's how to reproduce the bug:

1. Open youtube (the native App). Take several screenshots of something (Menus, a video or two, etc)
2. Go to Photos and try to crop the screenshot using the Edit >> Crop >> Constrained >> Square
3. After a few images, you'll notice that it crashes your iPhone and corrupts the image you were editing so that every time after that, attempting to edit the image will crash your phone.

Additional note: I was building a tutorial for someone, which Is why the screenshot and crop abilities are so useful. I'm annoyed that this isn't as easy as it should be :p

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've run into weird bugs like this. I was trying to send a certain picture to a certain friend and it would crash the message app. Finally just gave up. Lol but I could send that pic to anyone else and I could send that certain friend any other pic and it's fine.

Did you try to reset the phone? Power + home.

mdouglass

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
I have the same exact issue, my iPhone 4S is fairly new and I just discovered this bug today. Were you able to do anything about it?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Sounds more like a jailbreak tweak conflict. Are you jailbroken?

While this is not a solution, have you tried using photoshop touch on the iphone/ipad?

happymarkkj

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
This just happened to me like this morning

I have a iPhone 4 and realized that was the problem when i took another photo and it wasn't at all starting to reboot itself. i checked all my apps, i freaked out a bit and then i went back to that picture and it was the only one causing my phone to restart and its the only screen shot that i was using i will use another screen shot now....nope, i just screenshot something from my phone and from Facebook and safari it didn't cause anything to happen, just a screenshot from instagram....so I'm thinking it was in the instagram update that made this possible. anyway i don't have any other problems because I'm hardly on instagram so as long as that was the only problem editing my photos and causing my phone to crash then I'm okay since i don't go on.

Iphone5please

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Same thing happens to me, with my completely updated ipod touch. I take a screenshot on safari, go to crop it, i get the loading circle, then my ipod goes to the lock screen.

RShakleford

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Try This

its not perfect but u can take a screenshot of the screenshot, that worked for me, its not perfect but the resulting screenshot wont be any poorer quality than the original screenshot

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
honestly from the iphone 4 to the 4s and now to the 5 i can actually say that has never happened to me.. it is not suppose to crash when your cropping a photo, let alone every time. somethings clearly wrong in your case, did you try a hard reset first? if not do a restore

----------

I have a iPhone 4 and realized that was the problem when i took another photo and it wasn't at all starting to reboot itself. i checked all my apps, i freaked out a bit and then i went back to that picture and it was the only one causing my phone to restart and its the only screen shot that i was using i will use another screen shot now....nope, i just screenshot something from my phone and from Facebook and safari it didn't cause anything to happen, just a screenshot from instagram....so I'm thinking it was in the instagram update that made this possible. anyway i don't have any other problems because I'm hardly on instagram so as long as that was the only problem editing my photos and causing my phone to crash then I'm okay since i don't go on.

hold the home button and the top lock button until your phone shuts off completly, do not slide to power off.. tell me if that fixes your problem

have you ever thought about just deleting instagram and reinstalling it on your iphone 4 again? why dont you go and try that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.