Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I want to save some of my music which is in iTunes onto a usb memory stick which I can then play using a distant music player. I need to save the music in mp3 format.
Can't see any way to do this, only to burn to an optical disk... Surely something as simple as this can be done, can someone tell me how?

Many thanks in advance.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
I want to save some of my music which is in iTunes onto a usb memory stick which I can then play using a distant music player. I need to save the music in mp3 format.
Can't see any way to do this, only to burn to an optical disk... Surely something as simple as this can be done, can someone tell me how?

Many thanks in advance.

Just drag and drop the songs you want into a folder and copy it onto the flash drive.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Just drag and drop the songs you want into a folder and copy it onto the flash drive.

This produces Apple MPEG-4 Audio files.. I need to export them to MP-3 but can't see how to do so. My music player won't read the MPEG-4 format.

There must be a way to do something so simple without resorting to optical drives?

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
This produces Apple MPEG-4 Audio files.. I need to export them to MP-3 but can't see how to do so. My music player won't read the MPEG-4 format.

There must be a way to do something so simple without resorting to optical drives?

Are you sure all your music is in MP3 format? I just tried dragging and dropping and it copied to the folder as MP3.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
My music is all in Apple music MPEG-4 on my hard drive. What I need is a facility to convert to MP3 or else to export the files in MP3 format as would be the case if I were to burn a CD.

TheAdamUK

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Hi

If you highlight all the tracks you want to convert to MP3 in iTunes and then right click on one of them you should see an option of convert to MP3

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Hi

If you highlight all the tracks you want to convert to MP3 in iTunes and then right click on one of them you should see an option of convert to MP3

That is true, and I convert to MP3, then try to drag the files to my flash drive..

Then when I look at the format on the flash drive they are all MPEG-4!!

TheAdamUK

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
I can't think of anything else as it works perfectly for me

I don't want to insult you but are you sure your moving the MP3 and not MPEG-4 across

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.