Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byziphone4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
This has not been a good past couple of days! My iPhone 4 speakers "went out" due to what I believe was using to much alcohol for cleaning the home button...the water damage indicator now looks pink...and the phone thinks it is always connected to the dock connector. Well to make matters worse...my MacBook Air speakers are not working...no sound is coming out of them...but they did work when I first turned it on this morning for the Apple boot up and I heard the Apple chime, but after that nothing...no sound! No sound for videos on YouTube...music...iTunes...but in iTunes the music has to be played through my airport express speakers to hear music. No...I did not also clean my MacBook with anything! Am I missing something...is there a way to test for sure if it is my speakers failing or not?...software issue? Mute somehow on?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
First, ill get the stupid answers out the way.

You have gone deaf

You have the volume turned down

Now some sensible answers

When you adjust the volume using the volume keys, does it say HEADPHONE on the icon ? Sometimes the headphone jack fails to report that there is no headphone in and so it continues to cut off the internal speakers and try and play on the headphones.

Try plugging in headphones and removing them again, sometimes this "resets" the connector.

Failing that, its an apple support call i think

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Do you have BT on on your Air? Have you gone to system prefs and looked at what Sound says? That should be your first step. Obviously the speakers work given the startup sound, so something happened after that. My bets are on BT being connected to something, but I could be wrong.

Try restarting again and see what happens. If resets don't work and Sound shows the internal speakers on, then take it to Apple to have them check for other issues.

byziphone4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Do you have BT on on your Air? Have you gone to system prefs and looked at what Sound says? That should be your first step. Obviously the speakers work given the startup sound, so something happened after that. My bets are on BT being connected to something, but I could be wrong.

Try restarting again and see what happens. If resets don't work and Sound shows the internal speakers on, then take it to Apple to have them check for other issues.

After trying headphones...this still didn't work...no sound was even coming out of the headphones either...this really started to concern me even more..till I went to system pref and went to sound chose output and sure enough..the output that was selected was "Soundflower (2ch)"...so I selected internal speakers and now they work again even when I plug the headphones in..that works too! Thank you!

So with that said...what is "Soundflower (2ch)" and what is "Soundflower (16ch)? Secondly, how did it change by itself?

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
After trying headphones...this still didn't work...no sound was even coming out of the headphones either...this really started to concern me even more..till I went to system pref and went to sound chose output and sure enough..the output that was selected was "Soundflower (2ch)"...so I selected internal speakers and now they work again even when I plug the headphones in..that works too! Thank you!

So with that said...what is "Soundflower (2ch)" and what is "Soundflower (16ch)? Secondly, how did it change by itself?

The last time that was on my system was when I was using Airfoil. Have you installed anything that might hack up Apple's methods of Airplay?

byziphone4

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
The last time that was on my system was when I was using Airfoil. Have you installed anything that might hack up Apple's methods of Airplay?

I have Airport Express..that I have a set of speakers connected to...this I use at times...it does work like AirPlay. I also use iCamSource, but this only uses my mic...I also use Splashtop Streamer...and this does route my sound to my iPad..iPhone..when I connect to my computer remotely. Could it be the Splashtop?

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have Airport Express..that I have a set of speakers connected to...this I use at times...it does work like AirPlay. I also use iCamSource, but this only uses my mic...I also use Splashtop Streamer...and this does route my sound to my iPad..iPhone..when I connect to my computer remotely. Could it be the Splashtop?

Yeah, it looks like Splashtop uses Soundflower to route your audio to your iPad/iPhone via wifi.

Fairan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
something wrong with my speakers

I spent the weekend away and put my 2009 Macbook air to sleep and drove home. When I tried to use it at home the speakers did not work and the volume keys did not make that 'blip' sound when I pressed them. After referring to the learned and expert MacRumors users, I restarted the computer and they are working again. Thanks. :) PS, the place I stayed did also have a BTwirless router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.