Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Unless the new iMacs do away with the glossy screens (I highly doubt that) I will pass and wait for the next Mac minis.

Unfortunately, no rumors there. So I will start my own rumor: How about upgraded Mac minis in the same timeframe?

Fingers crossed. I wouldn't want to wait until 2013 for new Mac minis.

It's always sad to see the mini is the second stepchild of the desktop line after the MacPro.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Unless the new iMacs do away with the glossy screens (I highly doubt that) I will wait for the next Mac minis.

Unfortunately, no rumors there. So I will start my own rumor: How about upgraded Mac minis in the same timeframe?

Fingers crossed. I would hate to wait for updated Mac minis until 2013.

LOL. Apple typically doesn't ruin their products when they update them, so no they won't be doing away with glossy displays. It was one of the best things they've ever done.

It will be even better when the new iMac displays get the same treatment as the New MacBook Pro received.

Treebs

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
This just in.
Chicago, Il

You're an idiot!!!

This waiting is getting very old. Why is it that Apple is the only company out there that can get away with this non shallont attitude. This wouldn't be happening if Steve were alive. He had a way of cracking the whip and making his employees do the impossible. Seeing that many of Apples un replaceable execs are starting to leave leads me to believe that perhaps they are losing faith in Tim Cook. I listened to an interview in which Steve Jobs stated that he was able to advance a product by as much as 3 months when nobody else at apple thought it was possible by psychologically dealing with every member of them team in a different way. It's a technique that Tim Cook is obviously unable to pull off. If he were pushing all the right buttons with the supply chain and his own design teams we would all have our new Macs.

I believe that whomever at Apple is responsible for the IMac line should be fired. Obviously he's not doing his job.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah I think it's odd that the rumoured refresh is in October, I think it must be due to a complete redesign..

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
We Need More Power for our iMacs
Slim should be considered

i think he will slim down, they got what it takes

Retina & Non retina please

We aint all that Rich .......For now:D

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
It will be even better when the new iMac displays get the same treatment as the New MacBook Pro received.

How is that possible with the 27'' model? Technically possible yes, but affordable for the iMac range?

Larger EIZO and Viewsonic 4k screens cost around 30k USD. I know Apple orders larger quantities and has better supplier prices, but I highly doubt costs will come down enough to put Retina displays in the iMac line.

For comparison, here are the EIZO and Viewsonic 4k monitors:

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/duravision/fdh3601/ -> 30-35k USD

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/viewsonic-vp3280-led-4k-monitor-hands-on/ -> costing "about the price of a car."

Maybe a 21.5'' Retina model is possible, but I really don't see it in the 27'' model for now (maybe in 2013 or 2014).

Last edited:

Treebs

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
I'm just pissed and want somebodys head on a stake. Apple really should make a formal statement about these BS claims of an October launch. I too have a wife that wants to upgrade now and I keep telling her just wait. She's getting to the point of telling me she will be buying one August 1 if they aren't out by then. At least if Apple formally announced that they will be updating in October I could get her to hold off. It's just wrong

brbrown1988

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
I'm not buying it. There has been more conflicting rumors on the iMac than ever before. As frustrated as I am with Apple, listening to these rumors has drove me next to insane. Nothing like getting your hopes shattered on a weekly basis.

I simply can not convince myself to buy such an outdated machine for the full retail markup. I have jobs on hold, and now your telling me I have to wait three more months! Why!? Please explain. I get the holidays are coming, but like its been said 50+ times already, the hardware is available. ***k the retina. Its not necessary on a screen this large.

obama_kick.gif

On a side note, If iMacs are not released with mountain lion, will the current line up come with it already installed?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
they need to make the thing MORE user servicable than less user servicable.

iMac's are a PITA to service. Before they started using desktops parts, the iMac's I worked on behind the bar were always a ***** to work on. Any time an iMac goes in for service, a business loses a system which is one reason why many design firms and businesses are moving away from iMac's and back to towers as they're quicker for on-site part swapping and upgrades.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
How is that possible with the 27'' model? Technically possible yes, but affordable for the iMac range?

Larger EIZO and Viewsonic 4k screens cost around 30k USD. I know Apple orders larger quantities and has better supplier prices, but I highly doubt costs will come down enough to put Retina displays in the iMac line.

For comparison, here are the EIZO and Viewsonic 4k monitors:

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/duravision/fdh3601/ -> 30-35k USD

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/viewsonic-vp3280-led-4k-monitor-hands-on/ -> costing "about the price of a car."

Maybe a 21.5'' Retina model is possible, but I really don't see it in the 27'' model for now (maybe in 2013 or 2014).

10bit

Treebs

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
Obviously not happening on July 3rd as the apple store is still up and running. It would have closed by now. Doubling down on secrecy is one of the stupidest things Tim Cook has said so far. Everybody reported damn near every detail about the MBPR before it came out. How about doubling down on honesty. I'd like that.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Hopefully with matte display, at least as an option, even if more expensive. It is a health and productivity issue.

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I hope the new iMacs are not Retina. We don't need anymore Retina, we have quite enough Retina now. I'd rather have excellent GPU performance. If they are thinner, I hope it is not at the expense of overall performance. I'd rather they stay the same thickness, and add in upgradeability and repairability. Apple is becoming guilty of form over function. Particularly with the MacBook Pro Retina. Let's not hope for the same thing with the iMacs.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Retina Display is hopefully the holdup for new iMacs

If there isn't a retina diplay and/or redesign for this hypothetical october refresh, then you have to wonder why they weren't updated last month...

Exactly my thoughts. My hope is that the new iMacs will sport 5120x2880 pixel displays, and that to me seems the only reason that the iMacs weren't updated at WWDC 2012. The new iMacs can have a much better discrete GPU that can handle the 14.7 Million Pixels better than the mobile GPU in the Retina MacBook Pro that just handles the 5 million pixels.

All the other components for a normal update, especially the Ivy Bridge CPUs are already available. (Along with USB 3.0 directly supported, and an HDMI port would be welcome, even though HDMI would only support 1080p external displays, a good fit for HDTVs anyway as well as inexpensive displays.)

The preview window in Final Cut Pro X could show a full 4K video on a Retina iMac with a little more extra free space than the full 1080p preview window on the rMBP!

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
thunderbolt, usb 3, hdmi,
very, very thin.

I disagree completely.

No retina display - low power GPU's aren't capable enough yet. Retina MacBook is pretty disapointing performance so far at 15" screen, iMac size would be pathetic.

Solid state storage as an option or secondary boot drive only. The cost/capacity ratio of solid state is still absurd compared to hard drives. Acceptable for a small capacity secondary computer like a MacBook Air, but insane for a primary machine like I use my iMac. The whole point of an iMac is an uncluttered desk - I don't want to have to hang an extra external drive off a state of the art machine just to afford decent storage. OTOH, the smaller size & weight of solid state is immaterial in a iMac.

Definitely needs an internal optical drive. Still necessary from time to time and whole point of iMac is to be all in one. Again, the marginal size reduction from eliminating serves no purpose in an iMac.

No soldered RAM - same arguments as above.

Thunderbolt yes. Already there, but more better. USB3 should die - Thunderbolt adapter if really necessary. HDMI can use an Thunderbolt adapter if really be essary. Not all that useful in a desktop - makes more sense in the Mini.

No need to be thinner. Only if it doesn't reduce capability or increase price. Of aesthetic value only, if that.

Sorry, but your list makes sense only for a laptop, not a all-in-one desktop.

What I WOULD like to see is an internal PCI slot for adding bigger GPU cards. Thicker would be ok if they add this. If not, then an Apple branded external PCI chassis with Thunderbolt connection and OSX support for an external GPU. Same thing internal to the Thunderbolt displays would be nice too.

The main thing though is to get it out there NOW! My iMac G5 is running on fumes. Apple's product release cycle is getting pretty silly considering the resources they have these days.

----------

I hope the new iMacs are not Retina. We don't need anymore Retina, we have quite enough Retina now. I'd rather have excellent GPU performance. If they are thinner, I hope it is not at the expense of overall performance. I'd rather they stay the same thickness, and add in upgradeability and repairability. Apple is becoming guilty of form over function. Particularly with the MacBook Pro Retina. Let's not hope for the same thing with the iMacs.

Agree completely!!

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
Exactly my thoughts. My hope is that the new iMacs will sport 5120x2880 pixel displays, and that to me seems the only reason that the iMacs weren't updated at WWDC 2012.

...Because if you release all your new products on one day you get less press overall.

I don't think Apple will wait until October. They'll want to have a new version ready before the school year starts.

I'm pretty sure we'll see the update with Mountain Lion.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I'm more curious what they might do with making a larger Cinema Display model and even perhaps one with the power and frame rates to handle even 3d material cleanly. I'd take a 40 inch Retina 3d capable Cinema Display as a tv any day. With both thunderbolt and HDMI I could hook my computer and blu-ray to it as well as my Apple TV and be very happy.

The margin for iMacs is much larger than for the Cinema Display.
I think they'll go iMac first because they can sell them for more money.

I can also think of a smaller iMac being Retina, but I'd rather not buy any of those.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I agree, keep the upgradability and thickness, but go Retina (With A Big DESKTOP GPU)

I'm for Retina iMacs. Apple does have plans to make everything Retina anyway, it's the next logical step.

Though, I do agree, we do not need a thinner or more mobile chipset iMac again. Keep the thickness, if it means upgradability to 32-64 GB RAM, a HDD, as well as a SSD, and a real desktop GPU as in the iMacs since 2009.

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I don't put a lot of stock in digitimes rumors, but if there is no new iMac this month I'll be buying a new MacBook Pro instead, begrudgingly. Don't get me wrong, I love the MBP's and I need a new laptop but I need a new desktop more than I need a new laptop.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Apple really needs to get with the program on resolution independence.

Most people in my office are fighting over the old 24" iMacs.

Most complain that the 27" iMac strains their eyes, because the DPI is too small to be viewed comfortably, unless they stick their face in the screen.

Of course, the old 24" iMac have been discontinued for a while now, as have been the 24" Apple monitors.

Windows has supported resolution independence for ages.

I wish Apple would focus its resources on finally bringing features like this to the Mac, rather than on building a Mac OS "walled-garden" with things like the App Store.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Does the new MBPr have less glare? Haven't been down to the store to see.

Always thought Jobs insisted on the glossy screen.

Bet that all Apple devices south of the Pro will be sealed and dealed, just like the new MBP.

Marketing will be directed at the new screens and SSD. Most people aren't lusting after more computer power so much these days.

You have to think the new Apple TV will feature a high def screen of some sort.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012

Yes upgradeability is key.... I hate how they are becoming more and more non-upgradeable! It is ridiculous!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.