Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Does all new iPad 3rd gen with serial number starting with DK indicates its a refurbished unit?

That applied to the iPad 2 because my refurb from Apple starts with that serial number. I'm not sure if iPad 3 refurbs are out yet. When they become available then someone can post it here so we can check the serial number.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
That applied to the iPad 2 because my refurb from Apple starts with that serial number. I'm not sure if iPad 3 refurbs are out yet. When they become available then someone can post it here so we can check the serial number.

Well DK replacement ipad 3 is available, so i will assume thats refurbished as well just like the ipad 2?

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hi guys,

I am back and would like to confirm that the iPad 3 refurbs are already there. So, don't worry!

Well, as I told you, I sent our first iPad 3 (bought for my wife as a present) that had some issues described in my first post. A couple of days later, we finally received a "new" new iPad and...

...tadaaa... it was a refurb! (serial number starting with DK) To be 100% sure that it was a refurbished unit, I checked it here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/ The device was indeed a refurbished one.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of buying refurbs, as I would rather pay 100-150 Euro more, but will get a brand new device in a nice shiny package. In this case, the iPad was bought as a present and what we received after sending the first defect iPad in its original white box back was a refurbished unit in an ugly brown box. I was specifically asked by the Apple employee to send the first iPad back in its original box and called twice to confirm that. Well, after having examined the second iPad I discovered that it was as bad as the first one. There were minor scratches on the back of the device (scratches, black and red(!) dots that could not be wiped away), the screen had an ugly red tint on the black background, backlight bleeding and power button/volume rocker that felt very loose.

What I did next, was calling Apple Care and making sure that I would talk to someone from Customers Relations department. A nice lady on the phone arranged an exchange and a couple of days later we received a "new new" new iPad. This one came in an original box and was brand new. The condition of the device was almost perfect. The only thing I discovered was a couple of specks of dust under the glass, which are clearly not the dead pixels. I called Apple again and they told me it would be possible for me to return the iPad and get my money back (2 months after buying the first one at the end of March 2012). This was a nice offer.

Well, my wife told me she was fine with this new iPad and we decided to keep it after all these returns and calls. She needs her iPad for her work and wants to stay in touch with me when she is abroad using Facetime and iMessage. If it was an iPad I bought for myself, I would definitely send it again to Apple and get my money back. I think that Apple needs to do something about its QC, which is not that good considering all that mass production of the new iPads. But... my wife is happy and that is what matters.

Oh, yeah... And the lady I had spoken with on the phone called me back a couple of days later and kindly offered me a discount voucher for all the problems we had. It was very kind!

That's it. My first experience with Apple refurbs was definitely not the most pleasant one, so I will try to stay away from them and buy only new products. You might disagree with me, but again, my decision is solely based on my own experiences.

PS. See also pictures I made before sending the refurbished device back to Apple. The text is in Dutch, so please ignore it if you are not able to read it. :) One of the main problems were the loose buttons (power button, volume rocker), but - as you can imagine - I was not able to take a picture of it.

v4782f.png

2iixv8x.png

kedqvc.png

2j5l0qw.png

zwy01.png

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think there are some fundamental mistakes being made here.

Apple has a quality control standard, as does every manufacturing company in the modern world.

It's a level at which they deem a product to be fit for sale to the public and is "Good enough" to pass whatever standards they have set for themselves.

Is anyone here that foolish to really believe say a ultra fussy customer buys an iPad, finds a tiny spec of dust in the very corner of the bezel, or a tiny tiny mark on the back and demands a new one.

This iPad get's sent back to whoever handles refurbs, then then of course inspect them to find out what needs doing.

Given the quality of new iPad's being found by customers, there is every chance this returned iPad is well within their inspection pass criteria.

Do you really think they will strip the whole thing apart and put loads of work into this model, or just give it an electrical test and clean it totally back as new?

They are not going to strip down and refub returned models that are still well within their pass standards just because one ultra fussy customer returned it.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
... They are not going to strip down and refub returned models that are still well within their pass standards just because one ultra fussy customer returned it.

Relax, Piggie!

You're completely entitled to have your own opinion about the Apple standards that meet your needs and expectations. I, for my own part, know that Apple is capable of making and delivering "perfect" products, as I have also other Apple devices in my collection: iPad2, AppleTV3, MBP etc.

Apple does indeed have a quality control standard and I didn't even try to imply that it was not the case. The quality control is, on the other hand, something I cannot be very excited about. If I pay a large amount of money for a "premium" product, it is my own choice and I expect it to meet my expectations. If it doesn't, it will simply be exchanged until I get one unit that is "perfect" in my opinion. And there is nothing you can do about it.

PS. A small speck of dust was a black spot in the middle of the screen that was clearly visible when reading e-books. Loose buttons did not function properly and needed to be pressed twice sometimes. If you would be fine with it, that's good, but I wasn't.

And your point about Apple not willing to strip down every unit sent back to it: I have heard that that is what they actually do. Every single device that is sent back gets a new battery and outershell.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
And your point about Apple not willing to strip down every unit sent back to it: I have heard that that is what they actually do. Every single device that is sent back gets a new battery and outershell.

Yes that's what they do and it's in writing on their website. Not only that but they run other tests and diagnostics to determine if other issues need to be corrected before they are shipped. Even refurbs are not perfect but in general they are sent out in solid working order.

I have a refurbed iPad 2 and it looks and works like new.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I just want to say, everyone's standards is different.

I myself have a weird high standard for "Newly purchased" gadgets.

I also do not have a good experience on replacement unit, I said replacement unit not necessary to have to be refurbish units that other people buys.

9 out of ten has cosmetic damage. And I will believe this based on my own experience.

Brand new ones are most likely to have better cosmetic condition.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Hey guys,

Can you imagine that?

Yesterday, I discovered quite a big speck of dust under the glass of my iPad 3 (bought in April 2012). It wasn't there before and I am very sure about it, as I always tend to baby my Apple products.

Considering the fact that I also have a very slow Wi-Fi connection on this iPad (in comparison to my iPhone 4 and iPad 2), I had decided to give Apple a call. When the Apple employee heard about that nasty speck of dust, he immediately told me that my iPad will be picked up by UPS tomorrow and that I will receive another one (he said: "most probably, you will receive a new unit".)
Now, I need to send this iPad back without accessories and original box.

Does it mean that I am going to receive a refurbished unit back? (a unit that had been used by someone else and returned to Apple)

Does anyone have experience with this kind of returns?
I am a little bit worried... :(

By the way, I am from the Netherlands.

refurbs are crap amnd dont work as good. IMPO

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I just want to say, everyone's standards is different.

I myself have a weird high standard for "Newly purchased" gadgets.

I also do not have a good experience on replacement unit, I said replacement unit not necessary to have to be refurbish units that other people buys.

9 out of ten has cosmetic damage. And I will believe this based on my own experience.

Brand new ones are most likely to have better cosmetic condition.

Why would that be? I thought all refurb iPads get brand new outer casings.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Wow, this thread is over a year old.

But yeah, if you get a refurb iDevice from Apple, it comes with a brand new outer casing and a brand new battery.

If you buy a refurb iDevice from anyone else, you'll be lucky if the previous owners finger prints were wiped off first. :D

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

They do, along with new screens. In fact I would want a refurb over a new iDevice if I had to return mine for whatever reason. Generally because Apple check and double check everything in a refurb.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
They do, along with new screens. In fact I would want a refurb over a new iDevice if I had to return mine for whatever reason. Generally because Apple check and double check everything in a refurb.

I think refurbs take a while to get into the supply chain though. I don't think there are many ipad 4 refurbs around yet.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
My first warranty replacement on my black iPad mini was a "remanufacture" and looked beautiful except for the light leak. I should have just kept it but asked for a non-refurb and was sent one with a 3 inch scratch across the back. When I sent it in for a replacement they returned the same one stating it had no problems. I was offered a brand new shrink wrapped box by my apple senior adviser and after waiting 2 weeks had to call and speak with another advisor in order to find out his request had been denied :mad: I am currently getting a one time exception and they are replacing it once again. I am almost hoping for another remanufactured one as it is quite possible the non-refurbished are indeed items returned for cosmetic reasons.

didgeridoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I had a sick iPad3 replaced three months ago. The replacement iPad3 looks and acts like a new one.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
My first warranty replacement on my black iPad mini was a "remanufacture" and looked beautiful except for the light leak. I should have just kept it but asked for a non-refurb and was sent one with a 3 inch scratch across the back. When I sent it in for a replacement they returned the same one stating it had no problems. I was offered a brand new shrink wrapped box by my apple senior adviser and after waiting 2 weeks had to call and speak with another advisor in order to find out his request had been denied :mad: I am currently getting a one time exception and they are replacing it once again. I am almost hoping for another remanufactured one as it is quite possible the non-refurbished are indeed items returned for cosmetic reasons.

Surely, if it was returned for cosmetic damage, they would change the casing. And how do you know whether its remanufactured or not?

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Surely, if it was returned for cosmetic damage, they would change the casing. And how do you know whether its remanufactured or not?

That is what we are conjecturing - Apple has made it clear that they do not consider cosmetic flaws to be a problem (senior manager speaking to me as case in point) so how do we know that those offered as replacements with original serial numbers are not indeed returns that passed diagnostic tests?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
That is what we are conjecturing - Apple has made it clear that they do not consider cosmetic flaws to be a problem (senior manager speaking to me as case in point) so how do we know that those offered as replacements with original serial numbers are not indeed returns that passed diagnostic tests?

I thought they change serial numbers whenever an item is returned. And also replacements have protective covers on them.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I thought they change serial numbers whenever an item is returned. And also replacements have protective covers on them.

Who knows what Apple does with returned units. Certainly refurbished items get a new battery and case but two of the three replacements I received were not refurbished and both had damage to the case caused by someone handling them poorly before they got to me.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
the refurb iPad 3's are of higher quality than regular production iPad 3's. by the very nature of the refurb process, these units get 100% inspection. a regular iPad 3 - nope. they are spot checked based on sample size at the factory.

i had 2 iPad 3's with horrendous back light bleed. then went without an iPad for a while. then i grabbed an iPad 4 in November and it had horrendous back light bleed as well. when they dropped the iPad 3 refurb prices i bought one and it is perfect - no backlight bleed, no tint, no overheating, no wifi issues, absolutely perfect.

i only plan to purchase refurbs from now on

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
In most cases, if not all. Apple will swap your original device with a Apple Refurbished Device. If for some reason you purchased through ATT/Verizon and they are willing to value whatever warranty they offered you, they will most likely supply you with a brand new device.

Hope this helps!

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
the refurb iPad 3's are of higher quality than regular production iPad 3's. by the very nature of the refurb process, these units get 100% inspection. a regular iPad 3 - nope. they are spot checked based on sample size at the factory.

i had 2 iPad 3's with horrendous back light bleed. then went without an iPad for a while. then i grabbed an iPad 4 in November and it had horrendous back light bleed as well. when they dropped the iPad 3 refurb prices i bought one and it is perfect - no backlight bleed, no tint, no overheating, no wifi issues, absolutely perfect.

i only plan to purchase refurbs from now on

Do you really think that they are checking the refurbs for backlight bleed and dead/stuck pixels. The refurb mini I was sent had fairly significant backlight bleed. The refurb iMac I was given under warranty (right after purchase) has a stuck red pixel.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Do you really think that they are checking the refurbs for backlight bleed and dead/stuck pixels. The refurb mini I was sent had fairly significant backlight bleed. The refurb iMac I was given under warranty (right after purchase) has a stuck red pixel.

i can't speak to the iMacs and Macbooks, i was referring to the refurb iPads only

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I hope so. But how will they handle the warranty?

I suppose the new unit will have another serial number. Does it mean that I will have again 12 months warranty instead of 10 months? How does it work?

I can't speak to how they have to handle things under the law in the Netherlands. But in the US the remaining warranty from the original or 90 days (which ends later) is what you get.

As for the issue of new v refurb etc. in the US at least you will not get a refurb. That term is for a non defective unit returned by a customer within the legal return period. It is erase, run through diags and a new battery and backplate. It is the same serial as before with the warranty reset to when it is bought.

What you will get is either a factory new unit or a remanufactured unit. This means not only a new battery and backplate but a new hard drive and a more through test with any defective parts replaced. That can mean as far as only a single part from the returned unit being used with the bad parts being ground, melted etc for recycling the component materials. Essentially a carefully done Frankenstein job of several janked ones to make one good one. And no you have no way of knowing if you got new or rebuilt.

----------

In most cases, if not all. Apple will swap your original device with a Apple Refurbished Device. If for some reason you purchased through ATT/Verizon and they are willing to value whatever warranty they offered you, they will most likely supply you with a brand new device.

Hope this helps!

More like the other way around. I bought my first iPhone at AT&T and got their insurance. They didn't even hide that they were giving me a unit returned by a customer a few days before. It even still has his contacts etc in it. When I raised a fuss because I was returning the phone because it was defective and only three months old they told me that I was returning a used product so I had no right to demand a new one and to read what I sign more closely next time

Apple on the other hand does make some factory new service parts so you have a decent chance of getting on. Although if you think you didn't cause you read on some blog that units starting with whatever are refurbs don't expect them to grab a new one with a serial that you like. Cause the terms you agreed to are in their favor in that one.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Apple does not replace with refurbished only remanufactured devices which have never been used. They just failed somewhere along the path inside the factory and were redone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.