Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrok18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Just got a new 2g touch at Costco then i went to best buy to see if they have any new cases and well they did. So i bought a iclear and it came with a screen protector but when i put it on it had all these air bubbles. So should i peel it off and try again or is it too late? Also what is the right way to put it on?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You should be able to remove (you may need scotch tape to do it) then as you place it on there, use a credit card to smooth it out as it lays down.

TEG

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
You should be able to take it off and reapply it. After you take it off, start from the bottom of it and slowly push it towards the front. You can use a credit card to smooth out any bubbles. Worked for me. Then I bought the Bestskinsever and that was a little more difficult, but it looks awesome.

I put on the iClear over it (I know overkill, oh well) and like that also.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
since you're frustrated you could use a small pin and gently prick the bubbles without scratching the touch. the protector might have extremely small holes but you'll have peace of mind

jrok18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
since you're frustrated you could use a small pin and gently prick the bubbles without scratching the touch. the protector might have extremely small holes but you'll have peace of mind

But i keep getting these clearish grayish circles . Idk if they r bubbles but they r there.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I turned the shower on and waited till it got steamy in the bathroom before putting on the protector :)
Clears the dust out... Make sure your hands, area, and screen protector is clean and you should be fine.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I have stopped using screen protectors on both my Touch and iPhone. The glass on my iPhone still looks new after a year of being "unprotected". It shares the same space in my coat with keys, coins and other abrasive objects. I also think screen protectors diminish the screens picture quality.

Reactions: dan.me

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
I have stopped using screen protectors on both my Touch and iPhone. The glass on my iPhone still looks new after a year of being "unprotected". It shares the same space in my coat with keys, coins and other abrasive objects. I also think screen protectors diminish the screens picture quality.

Your totally full of crap. My old iPhone screen was scratched to *****, luckily the camera stopped working and was replaced under warrantee. You can buy protective screens on ebay for a buck.

Turkeyhut

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
hello

Well from my experience i noticed that if your screen protector is dirty there is a higher chance of bubbles.Also i noticed than if a tiny particle of dust or dirt lands on the screen an air bubble will form, because the protecter cant make contact with the screen because there is dirt in between.When dirt landed on my screen when it was brandnew i used some tape to pick up the dirt.
Good luck:)

80sarcades

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
Your totally full of crap. My old iPhone screen was scratched to *****, luckily the camera stopped working and was replaced under warrantee. You can buy protective screens on ebay for a buck.

The screen on the touch I use (no screen protector) is pretty much pristine except for a small hairline crack where I dropped it one day. This is after a year of me and my two kids playing with the thing day in/day out. Then again, I've never put it in the same pocket with pointed pieces of metal:D Just my observation, anyway.

Then again, if I had an Iphone I'd probably put some good stuff on it, considering I'd be using it for a long while...

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Edge of credit card or gift card works best. Mine has NO air bubbles in it. Only spots it's risen up is in the top 2 corners from peeling it off. (not to retry, I think it was to remove a piece of dust.) My screen protector has a decent amount of scratches on it. It as in the same pocket as my phone and they got banged up pretty bad, but it's only on the protector.

But then again, people always ask me to apply theirs because I can do them so good.

I'm not bragging (because it's practically a worthless skill haha) but maybe some have better luck than others?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euIPR-yTZrE

As it says with the instructions of most. Haha

rohit6060

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy a skin for ipod touch 4(whenever I get it).I've had a 1st gen touch for 2 years and I know how it scratches,specially the back.I'm considering 4 diff. manufacturers. Gadgetshieldz,bestskinsever,bodyguardz & zagg.
I don't mind how complicated the process is,I'll manage putting it on..
I have following 2 major consideration:
1.It should be absolutely clear and invisible.I don't want to mess around with all these pixels I'm paying for...
2.I really love these glass displays in all of apple multitouch devices.Hence the skin should give least of that rubber like feel and more like original.
I would seriously appreciate comments from people who have used either all or most of them...
I'm considering 1 more option.If I put the skin only on the back and go for a pouch smthng like zagg ultraslim..Will that be a good option?Can all these pouches really be sufficient to protect the screen?

Crackerjax1

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
Don't do it! Trying to will put scratches into screen protector. Learned that the hard way.

lincolnmayer

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Hi everyone.

It's very simple to get rid of the airbubbles actually. I'm using a brand called ArmorSuit from Amazon which I love.

Firstly, I watched their video on youtube which was very helpful. You really have to use a lot of the solution that they give you. I noticed that there were a few bubbles in the beginning; however, they began to disappear after a few hours of waiting.

So, I think the trick is to use enough of the spray, be patient, and you'll be fine. Hope this helps! I'm not sure how true this is for other brands though. If you want a simple and solid protector, here you go!

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
Look for some of the dry applications that do not require liquid. I've gotten some from Smartphone Experts.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

I had an iPhone 3G for 2 years, I've had an iPhone 4 for 19 months, and an iPad for a year. none have had a scratch on the screen so far. The iPhone 4 has a bumper, apart from than none have had any protection except I tried a matte screen protector for the 3G, but didn't like the sparkly effect. Not everyone has trouble with scratches.

When I did apply the screen protector, I found it fairly easy to apply without bubbles.

Make sure the screen is clean. I used spectacle cleaner to make sure it was free of dusk and oils.

I lined up the long side, but only let it touch at one corner. Have the rest up in a curve. It is possible to put some downward pressure on the edge of the contact point with the right manipulation of the curve.

Gradually increase the contact area diagonally across the screen.

If a bubble starts to appear, pull a bit back up and try again. If you get a bubble at the same point again, pull more back and wipe with a lint free cloth.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Q: How to put a screen protector without getting air bubbles?
A: I go to the mall have it done at the kiosk for $20.

I've tried doing it myself. On the various devices that I own, I have had varying degrees of success. In the end I've concluded that it isn't worth the hassle to attempt it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.