Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ram Thakkar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hello Everybody,

I am a totally newbie on this forum and also as a user of mac. I use mac only for unity3d. When i operate mac system at first time, i felt something strange cause its totally new enviornment for me. But nowadays a like mac os very much. So my question is if i want to develop mac desktop application then how to develop it. If somebody tell me something about it or provide some link for it, then it would be very helpfull for me. I also plan to learn about ipad programming, but first i want to learn some basic. One thing i want to tell u that i have very good programming experience on windows.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
some hints

Some hints or ideas.

First of all, download Xcode from the app store. It is free of cost.
You probably will very soon enrol in the Apple Developer program. Not quite free but a gold mine of information.
https://developer.apple.com/

If you want to program for iPad or iPhone, a very good start is the Stanford University series. It teaches a lot of important concepts including a lot about Cocoa (the code name for the graphical programming environment). Currently the only good way to program on IOS is to use the Objective-C programming language (quite elegant in IOS, nothing to be afraid of).
http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/developing-apps-for-ios-hd/id395605774

The Mac OS X allows several different ways of programming. One of these is using Objective-C and Cocoa, very close to how you program on IOS.

Below (sort of) the graphical Cocoa system the Mac also runs a Unix dialect. Programming on this level is just about the same as for any Linux or Unix system, allowing you to use all the tools and languages there. The "windows" interface is very different though, so go for Cocoa and Objective-C for that kind of work.

If you go for the web development route, the Mac OS X includes the standard tools there as well, including web server and SQL database and all the languages including Python and Pearl and Java and Javascript ( and more ). This will allow you to install and program full web applications inside you Mac.

And not least, the Mac OS X has a nice scripting language built into the Automator that makes some things very simple to do.

So in short, my suggestion is to go for the perhaps not obvious route using Cocoa on IOS using Objective C. The environment is slightly different from Mac OS X but many of the concepts are exactly the same.

Anyway, my five cents of advice.

// Gunnar

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
You probably will very soon enrol in the Apple Developer program. Not quite free but a gold mine of information.

AFAIK one can still join the ADC for free (it's just a bit hidden these days). This doesn't include access to OSX-betas or the ability to upload to the Appstore(?) but for the start free should be fine.

trevorde

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
MonoDevelop lets you develop in C# which will allow you to use your Unity3D experience

Ram Thakkar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Thank very much all of u for show me right direction for mac development.

@trevorde, before jump into mac development, i searched on a net cross platform development. I found that monodevelop, but on mac applicaiton build with monodevelop doent give native look and there are still some limitation. So i started to learn xcode (cocoa and objective-c).

Once again thank u very much.

richimages

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
Southeastern US
Hello Everybody,

I am a totally newbie on this forum and also as a user of mac. I use mac only for unity3d. When i operate mac system at first time, i felt something strange cause its totally new enviornment for me. But nowadays a like mac os very much. So my question is if i want to develop mac desktop application then how to develop it. If somebody tell me something about it or provide some link for it, then it would be very helpfull for me. I also plan to learn about ipad programming, but first i want to learn some basic. One thing i want to tell u that i have very good programming experience on windows.

I'm kind of in the same boat you're in, luckily, I have a friend who's pushed out an iOS app with Unity already, and will be helping me out next week to show me what he did. Apparently, he's bypassed the cocoa and Objective C stuff by just using Unity3D and XCode to push out the project via TestFlight. Grant it, this will also bypass the app store as well (as that must go though normal iOS development ) ... but for graphical stuff with Unity3D development, TestFlight simiplifies the process and makes things very easy ....

Will report back more week after next ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.