Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swishax3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
I have a Macbook Air 11" (2011: 1.6GHz, 128 SSD, 4GB RAM) and an iMac 27" (2010: 2.93GHz i7, 2 TB HDD, 4 GB RAM). Should I consider selling these two to upgrade to something more in the middle of the two? I am a high school photo student for the most part and sometimes work with high res video. Other than that my computer usage is pretty casual and I have no need for a CD Drive. Is it worth selling both of these computers for the retina Macbook Pro? Should I wait until they refresh the retina next year maybe? Any thoughts or advice would be nice seeing how a MBP Retina isn't cheap. Thanks in advance.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
You have fairly recent products, the specs of which are more than enough for what you do. I wouldn't give up two items to get your hands on a rMBP. Instead, wait till Apple releases a 13" retina will be a cheaper option than the current 15".

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Your iMac is more than enough. Your in high school bud and ave two really nice computers. You don't need to upgrade yet.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
The moment you start using a rMBP the rest of your computers will look like junk. (Says he having used one for the afternoon and accidentally going back to 30" 2560x1600 display...):)

starney

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
if your a gadget enthusiastic or pro photographer plus got sufficient cashes it's really worth it.

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
It's a no no for me. You have recent products. Just dave your money until you need to replace your MBA. Not to replace them both.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Uh, yeah. This. High School student and you've got two killer machines. Don't sweat the rMBP.

No doubt he has parents that can afford these luxuries. I've seen kids on YouTube I'd swear were 11-13 years old with many Apple computers and devices.

Sahee

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2012
Germany
It's not worth it... you will see no difference in Display-Quality compared to a full-HD 15'inch when you are about an arm length away from the Display. It's simple math compared with biology (human eyes). Every difference is most likely only placebo.

Its the same with Full-HD TV's. I do have a 51inch TV for example, normally I would see pixels everywhere cause it only carry's a panel with 1920 × 1080 Resolution (Full-HD), but as long as I do not stand right before my TV the Picture looks very crisp, when I am ~3meter away from it it looks like I am watching throughout a window.

The Retina-Macbook actually even looks blurry compared to a Full-HD Panel.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
No doubt he has parents that can afford these luxuries. I've seen kids on YouTube I'd swear were 11-13 years old with many Apple computers and devices.

Who's to say he did'nt pay for it himself, my 12yr old daughter made almost 20K last year working for a local sign company laying out graphics and freelances putting together elctronic scrapbooks for family of thier photo/videos She knows more about photoshop and video editing software than most professionals.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
It's not worth it... you will see no difference in Display-Quality compared to a full-HD 15'inch when you are about an arm length away from the Display. It's simple math compared with biology (human eyes). Every difference is most likely only placebo.

Its the same with Full-HD TV's. I do have a 51inch TV for example, normally I would see pixels everywhere cause it only carry's a panel with 1920 × 1080 Resolution (Full-HD), but as long as I do not stand right before my TV the Picture looks very crisp, when I am ~3meter away from it it looks like I am watching throughout a window.

BS. I see a difference in character clarity between my 13.1" laptop's 1080p panel and the Retina Pro's panel.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Who's to say he did'nt pay for it himself, my 12yr old daughter made almost 20K last year working for a local sign company laying out graphics and freelances putting together elctronic scrapbooks for family of thier photo/videos She knows more about photoshop and video editing software than most professionals.

Be extremely proud - She's one of a kind.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007

That is of course not true. If that is the case then she makes way more money than me. I don't think a 12 year old makes more money than me. I am busting my ass of everyday and I only get like $1000 a month from which I need to pay rent, food and other necessities.

Swishax3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
No, my parents didn't pay for either of the products. I just got lucky on ebay with good deals and used money I had made to pay for both computers.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Yes.

The very smart thing about the pricing is that if you opt for a 15 inch MBP and do some upgrades you end up paying the same if not more so you may as well opt for the retina and new 2012 macbook design/technology for the same price.

Today was the first day I actually played with one and compared the models @ an apple store and they are extremely powerful, I don't know how I could buy a non retina 15 inch they are heavy and to big compared to the other macbooks.

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011

As TheMacBookPro said - BS.

It's obvious you have no idea what are you talking about. And please, for the love of God, don't even start with apparent-size-of-pixel-smaller-than-1-arcminute talk. It's ultra-easy to kill that theory.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
That is of course not true. If that is the case then she makes way more money than me. I don't think a 12 year old makes more money than me. I am busting my ass of everyday and I only get like $1000 a month from which I need to pay rent, food and other necessities.

Bested by a 12 yrd smarts doesn't it :D

But in a way you are correct. Technically, the parents legally control the money so in a sense they don't.

Sahee

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2012
Germany
As TheMacBookPro said - BS.

It's obvious you have no idea what are you talking about. And please, for the love of God, don't even start with apparent-size-of-pixel-smaller-than-1-arcminute talk. It's ultra-easy to kill that theory.

Well... I've you are accustomed with Low-Res Displays like the Macbook 13inch or Macbook Air 13inch... than the Retina-Screen will blow your head off. I personally never use something beyond Full-HD (...surprisingly the Macbook-Retina is the first Mac with Full-HD support) and if you compare Full-HD Resolution on a 15inch screen with Retina-Resolution on a 15inch screen then you will not notice a difference when you are more than an arm length away from the display.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Well... I've you are accustomed with Low-Res Displays like the Macbook 13inch or Macbook Air 13inch... than the Retina-Screen will blow your head off. I personally never use something beyond Full-HD (...surprisingly the Macbook-Retina is the first Mac with Full-HD support) and if you compare Full-HD Resolution on a 15inch screen with Retina-Resolution on a 15inch screen then you will not notice a difference when you are more than an arm length away from the display.

I'm actually accustomed to the 13.1" 1080p panel on my VAIO Z series and I still see a difference in quality. Sorry.

Not sure what you're on about with the rMBP being the first Mac with FHD support... the 21.5" iMacs and 17" Pro have had FHD panels for a while now.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
For photo work, I think having a well-calibrated, big screen is more advantageous than a little screen with high pixel density unless you have space issues or are on the go a lot.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
For me the screen has always been the big issue with laptops (that and battery time). This is the first I´ve seen that can be compared to the best stationary screens. The screen is my work place, and it has just seen a major upgrade. Totally worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.