Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_icon.jpg

Earlier today, we noted that Apple's App Store was experiencing issues with corrupted binaries affecting dozens of newly-updated apps over the past few days. While in many cases the corruption is resolved a few hours after an updated app becomes available, TechCrunch reports that Apple has now officially acknowledged the issue in its developer forums and is working on a broader fix.
According to our developer sources, Apple has now responded to numerous complaints in its Developer Forums with a brief statement posted by username "iTunesConnect."

The statement reads: "We are aware of the issue related to apps crashing after update. We are currently working on resolving the issue. Stay tuned for updates."
Apple is also emailing developers regarding the issue and including contact information for support issues, with one developer who was able to speak to a support representative being told that Apple has a dedicated team working on the issue. More details will be made available as Apple investigates the problems.

Update: Apple has now issued an official statement to AllThingsD:
"We had a temporary issue that began yesterday with a server that generated DRM code for some apps being downloaded," Apple said in a statement to AllThingsD. Apple said it affected only a small number of users.

"The issue has been rectified and we don't expect it to occur again," Apple said. Those who have an affected app can re-download it from the App Store.
Update 2: Macworld reports that Apple will be removing one-star app reviews given by users as a result of the issue.

Update 3: As noted by MacStories, Apple has apparently removed all reviews stemming from the corrupted versions of the apps.

Article Link: Apple Working on Fix for Corrupted App Store Downloads [Update: Fixed]

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Does anyone have any clue what's causing it? Sounds like packets are being dropped unnoticed and breaking the code signing and binary itself.

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
3 to 4 years of perfect operation

and this is the first hiccup

only on "some" apps

devchris

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Does anyone have any clue what's causing it? Sounds like packets are being dropped unnoticed and breaking the code signing and binary itself.

I don't think it is a data hosting problem. If it was, I would think it'd be affecting all apps and not just ones that have been recently updated. I'd imagine the issue lies somewhere between the app approval process and then pushing it live to the AppStore.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
The free version of Angry Birds Space must be affected. Won't launch. Reviews are scathing lol.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I don't think it is a data hosting problem. If it was, I would think it'd be affecting all apps and not just ones that have been recently updated. I'd imagine the issue lies somewhere between the app approval process and then pushing it live to the AppStore.

Dev here and I have noticed it happening with some ios 6 devices. At first my app "Bracket Maker" was not working then I learned it might be tied to the device.

I had 3 updates come through and the same ios6 user could not get any of them to correctly download and run without crashing.

I had the user download the update and it crashed on all 3 apps during start up. I had them delete the app and redownload and they got the same thing.

It could have something to do with the buggy app store on ios6. I will have them delete and redownload through itunes and see what happens.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
This isn't an iOS 6 problem as far as end user. I'm running iOS 5 and when I updated Instapaper on my iPad last night I had the same issue. Additionally, this seems to be region specific (Instapaper data). Thankfully, I had a backup on my computer and reverted (was able to update late last night without incident, though). This really looks like an Apple server issue and they should let users know that. Devs are getting flooded with 1 star reviews by no fault of their own because of this and those don't go away.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Dev here and I have noticed it happening with some ios 6 devices. At first my app "Bracket Maker" was not working then I learned it might be tied to the device.

It could have something to do with the buggy app store on ios6. I will have them delete and redownload through itunes and see what happens.
I doubt it has anything to do with the "buggy app store on ios6" since it is affecting regular users on iOS 5.

As devchris mentions above, there is probably something happening in between the app approval and the push to the App Store since the same bundle is being downloaded by iOS 6 and iOS 5 users. My guess is that the binaries are getting corrupted in the packaging process.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
The Higgs Boson was announced, and due to quarks and being measured it's started to cause the end of the world. Starting with the source of all happiness and love and joy.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
This isn't an iOS 6 problem as far as end user. I'm running iOS 5 and when I updated Instapaper on my iPad last night I had the same issue. Additionally, this seems to be region specific (Instapaper data). Thankfully, I had a backup on my computer and reverted (was able to update late last night without incident, though). This really looks like an Apple server issue and they should let users know that. Devs are getting flooded with 1 star reviews by no fault of their own because of this and those don't go away.

Yea this is pretty weird and thanks for the heads up on ios5. I dont think its a region specific problem because me and the friend on ios6 both live in phx. we downloaded the updates within mins of eachother.

Another thing that makes me think it is device related is that all 3 apps I updated dont work on their phone. These 3 apps all work on my phone and a friend from des moines phone.

I believe all 3 of us downloaded over 3g.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
The Higgs Boson was announced, and due to quarks and being measured it's started to cause the end of the world. Starting with the source of all happiness and love and joy.

Actually, it is a "Higgs-like particle" with the weight of a Barium atom, previously being innert since it only has mass but does not interact otherwise with our physical and chemical world. Predicted is that 2/3 of all gravity in the universe consists of higgs-like matter. Quarks are way smaller hand are observed when matter decays because some funny physicists put stuff (protons, neutrons, or whatever) in a tube and accellerate it so they they can see it go boom with something going the other way.

Edit: I realized that wasn't clear: Why "Higgs-like particle?" because they measured different sizes and it could be indeed a whole set of new kind of matter they started to discover. It's very exciting and me as an interrested N00b in the field of Physics, I like to read more about such stuff.

Last edited:

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
This is almost assuredly an automated process issue. Things have to go through an ABCDE process to get all the way to the store. As time goes by and features are added steps can get lost or transposed which can cause an unexpected problem.

Testing sometimes can't find it because live and test are simply not the same. And identifying the lost or missing step can be difficult because the human knowledge becomes diminished over time and critical documentation may be sketchy or unavailable.

Expect this more not less as time goes on. This happens in all systems and bureaucracies and trying to prevent it can cause all sorts of problems. Anyone who has worked in a stodgy and scared IT department knows this.

Last edited:

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Androids get hacked and turn into bots

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18720565

not to mention fake "open" google does not publish its search algorithm...

do no evil

more like

can't do anything right...

Funny part is, most likely, its the same App the App Store pulled after Kaspersky Labs found that it automatically sent messages and emails to contacts. At least, it sounds like it. It would have used Yahoo Mail for sure...

Edit: Article here: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/05/apple-pulls-russian-sms-spam-app-from-app-store/

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I had a problem with the first-generation iPad -- it kept restarting. So, I went to the Apple Store and talked to a Genius at the Genius Bar. He couldn't find a fix so he gave me a reconditioned iPad. I asked him what was causing the iPad to keep restarting and he said I probably downloaded a corrupted App from the App Store. This was a couple of years ago.

Really now, thats crazy, but hey, you got a newer iPad :) Thats always a good thing :)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Androids get hacked and turn into bots

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18720565

not to mention fake "open" google does not publish its search algorithm...

do no evil

more like

can't do anything right...

Well, obviously you are trying to use misdirection here. Those are totally different problems that have nothing in common with the store corrupting the apps. As we learned today (not really a revelation - just a confirmation), malware can get into App Store just as easily as it can to Play Store. So, let's compare two ecosystems.

With Apple, you get lucky if the app you like gets approved in a first place. And if it does get approved, then you should pray that App Store does not corrupt it. And if it does not corrupt the app, you should pray that it's not a malware.

With Android you have just one of these three problems.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
I realize I'm feeding a troll here, so apologies up front.

As we learned today (not really a revelation - just a confirmation), malware can get into App Store just as easily as it can to Play Store. So, let's compare two ecosystems.

This is the first instance of malware in the app store in over five years. How many apps are in Apple's app store? How many apps are in Google's app store, how long has it been in existence, and how many instances of malware have there been? We're talking an order of magnitude difference here!

With Apple, you get lucky if the app you like gets approved in a first place.

How would one know if they like an app before it's released?

And if it does get approved, then you should pray that App Store does not corrupt it.

Yeah, I can see how people would pray for something not to happen that hasn't happened in over five years.

And if it does not corrupt the app, you should pray that it's not a malware.

Again, we're talking about the first occurrence in millions of cases. No need for prayer here.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Well, obviously you are trying to use misdirection here. Those are totally different problems that have nothing in common with the store corrupting the apps. As we learned today (not really a revelation - just a confirmation), malware can get into App Store just as easily as it can to Play Store. So, let's compare two ecosystems.

With Apple, you get lucky if the app you like gets approved in a first place. And if it does get approved, then you should pray that App Store does not corrupt it. And if it does not corrupt the app, you should pray that it's not a malware.

With Android you have just one of these three problems.

While they are 2 very diff problems your reasoning is a little flawed.

1. As long as you follow the rules your app will be approved 99% of the time. I will admit apple is pretty controlling about its rules but that is the reason most iphone apps look and work 2x better than google apps.

2. As for the corruption this is a new thing and lets hope short lived thing. This is nothing compared to the horrible fragmentation that occurs on android. The dl might as well be corrupt tbh.

3. This is the first case of “malware” I have seen on the app store compared to hearing about quite a few others on android.

I am no huge Apple fan and while I hate that they never communicate with devs or customers for that matter its impossible to say the google store is better or safer than the itunes app store….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.