Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
http://www.cultofmac.com/176778/no-one-wants-to-save-1000-by-buying-a-virgin-mobile-iphone/

Lear Communications, who owns Cricket, won't even release sales numbers on the iPhone so you know that's a bad sign.

I figured that even with the substantial savings over a standard two year contract, most people only think about the short term when buying a smartphone. "How much does it cost me right now?" is what most consumers think about.

What will be interesting to see is will Virgin and Cricket lower the price of the iPhone in the near future? They typically do this on other phones. They would probably have to go up some on the monthly service plan if they do. I would think they will.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
http://www.cultofmac.com/176778/no-one-wants-to-save-1000-by-buying-a-virgin-mobile-iphone/

Lear Communications, who owns Cricket, won't even release sales numbers on the iPhone so you know that's a bad sign.

I figured that even with the substantial savings over a standard two year contract, most people only think about the short term when buying a smartphone. "How much does it cost me right now?" is what most consumers think about.

What will be interesting to see is will Virgin and Cricket lower the price of the iPhone in the near future? They typically do this on other phones. They would probably have to go up some on the monthly service plan if they do. I would think they will.

"According to checks by BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk, there were no lines at eight RadioShack and Best Buy locations in New York City and San Francisco."

So it is a flop because people weren't lining up outside Best Buy and RadioShack?!

Sometimes I wonder if some of these "reporters" are paid shills to steer the gullible to contract plans.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
My AT&T iPhone account, while my own account based on my own credit, etc. is reimbursed by my company.

(My company requires me to notate every personal call on my bill and then deduct a percentage....It takes way too much time each time I have to send in my bill for reimbursement).

So, I went last week to purchase the Virgin Mobile 4S at Best Buy on launch day. I figured that I could keep the Virgin Mobile phone for my personal calls, and my AT&T for business.

The $30 plan was just too tempting. I had actually purchaed an android from Virgin Mobile weeks before but returned it and added monies for the iPhone.

Best Buy was doing a BRISK business on the Virgin Mobile iPhone while I was there...AND activation was decidedly slow because Virgin Mobile was overwhelmed by the demand.

So far, the only thing I don't like is the slower data speeds than AT&T. I figure I have 45 days to return it (Premier Silver member).

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
"According to checks by BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk, there were no lines at eight RadioShack and Best Buy locations in New York City and San Francisco."

So it is a flop because people weren't lining up outside Best Buy and RadioShack?!

Sometimes I wonder if some of these "reporters" are paid shills to steer the gullible to contract plans.

No it flopped because the EVO V is 299.99 and is a very good phone and a much better deal than the iphone 4 or 4s. It also has much better cdma radios. Theres also the one v which is as good as the iphone 4 and is only 199.99.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
You can't expect weekend breaking sales from a prepaid carrier that uses a nationwide carrier for its backhaul. It just doesn't work that way.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
T-Mobile is a fraction the size of other large carriers, and this is a phone that has been available for purchase since October. I don't think anyone expected huge swaths of people to queue up for this.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Not a surprise, though I don't believe any one expected earth shattering sales here. The sheeple are conditioned to walk in every 2 years for their "FREE" or very low cost ($199 or less) phone and that's it for 2 more years. They might adjust their plan but other than that, off they go. $650 up front for a phone? Not going to happen for most.

Then again, as I wrote in another thread, it's a bad deal anyways. Though I suspect the opposition is by and large to the price tag.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Why would anyone expect big sales numbers for a prepaid iphone at $600, that is about to be replaced by a new iphone? This is always the worst quarter 'sales wise' before the next release.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Wow, no one wants to pay $650 for a phone on Virgin? Shocker! Especially when you consider there are Android phones on Virgin that do a lot more for $200, no brainer. You already know people going Virgin are cheap to begin with.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Wow, no one wants to pay $650 for a phone on Virgin? Shocker! Especially when you consider there are Android phones on Virgin that do a lot more for $200, no brainer. You already know people going Virgin are cheap to begin with.

Well, actually, Virgin's line of phones are crap. The Optimus V is still popular and that thing is a hunk of junk (but hey I seen them for $65 or $75) again it is all about the price tag. I don't know what phone in their lineup you surmise does more than the iPhone 4/4S for $200...Actually I guess Virgin carrying mostly Android devices makes sense. Cheap skates, birds of a feather, you know the line. I actually felt sorry a while back for the poor saps who bought the Triumph at retail ($300) and were stuck with that hunk of crap.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Well, actually, Virgin's line of phones are crap. The Optimus V is still popular and that thing is a hunk of junk (but hey I seen them for $65 or $75) again it is all about the price tag. I don't know what phone in their lineup you surmise does more than the iPhone 4/4S for $200...Actually I guess Virgin carrying mostly Android devices makes sense. Cheap skates, birds of a feather, you know the line. I actually felt sorry a while back for the poor saps who bought the Triumph at retail ($300) and were stuck with that hunk of crap.

The evo v and one v aren't crap though. They android 4.0 too. The one v is 199 and does more than the iphone 4 and had a better screen/camera. It has the same type of screen as the one x, its just smaller and a little lower resolution.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Too soon to determine if it's a flop or not.

Though I have no doubt that sticker shock might be driving people to get android devices instead. Some people are cheap. Some people are poor. That's life.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
The evo v and one v aren't crap though. They android 4.0 too. The one v is 199 and does more than the iphone 4 and had a better screen/camera. It has the same type of screen as the one x, its just smaller and a little lower resolution.

Exactly. The Evo V running ICS is a mile ahead of an iPhone 4 an better than a 4s too.

buddgeez

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012

You do know everyone like me and you aren't fortunate enough to have a iphone , so stop talking about people. And the One V on virgin mobile is a great phone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
No it flopped because the EVO V is 299.99 and is a very good phone and a much better deal than the iphone 4 or 4s. It also has much better cdma radios. Theres also the one v which is as good as the iphone 4 and is only 199.99.

That's quite true. iPhone can't compete in prepaid because of it's huge mark-up. The type of customer who is OK with such extremely limited coverage would also be fine with a sub-$200 Android phone.

You can't expect weekend breaking sales from a prepaid carrier that uses a nationwide carrier for its backhaul. It just doesn't work that way.

It's not backhaul. Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's WHOLE network.

Yup. Don't know why the dummies in this forum are downrating you, but it's quite true. VM people are cheap. That's why they are there in the first place.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yup. Don't know why the dummies in this forum are downrating you, but it's quite true. VM people are cheap. That's why they are there in the first place.
I supposed that you are one of those who aren't cheap and like to spend money needlessly. Do you measure your self-esteem by how much you pay for your cellphone? :confused:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Cricket at $55 is too expensive
Virgin is ok at $30 but you have to buy a custom iPhone that's useless everywhere in the world

I'm looking at straight talk in a few months. $35 a month unlimited if you prepay and you can use the AT&T iPhone which is the best one

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
I actually pre-ordered the iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile last Thursday night, kept it until yesterday, and switched back to AT&T.

I live in Washington, DC; one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. I was SHOCKED that Sprint's speeds (Virgin runs on the Sprint network) were THAT slow. I mean, come on - sometimes, it wouldn't even register, and I would get no notification of new emails.

My job requires me to be all over the place - I was in DC itself, Alexandria, Arlington, Largo, Ft Washington, Bethesda, Chantilly, Centreville, Fairfax, Springfield, Columbia, Ellicott City, Annandale, and Tysons Corner in the past week. I barely got service - ANYWHERE.

The worst part is - I am a former Sprint customer, and I know that the network is not that bad. People told me about the iPhone's CDMA radios being terrible...I didn't want to believe it; now I do. Holy CRAP!

Anyway, I am back on AT&T. I'm a professional; I need my cell phone service to run my business. I'd love to spend less, but now I understand the need to pay more - you get better service and a reputable company standing behind you.

I'm incredibly disappointed. I do hope anyone who uses the Virgin iPhone as their first Apple product has a better experience than I did.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I actually pre-ordered the iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile last Thursday night, kept it until yesterday, and switched back to AT&T.

I live in Washington, DC; one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. I was SHOCKED that Sprint's speeds (Virgin runs on the Sprint network) were THAT slow. I mean, come on - sometimes, it wouldn't even register, and I would get no notification of new emails.

My job requires me to be all over the place - I was in DC itself, Alexandria, Arlington, Largo, Ft Washington, Bethesda, Chantilly, Centreville, Fairfax, Springfield, Columbia, Ellicott City, Annandale, and Tysons Corner in the past week. I barely got service - ANYWHERE.

The worst part is - I am a former Sprint customer, and I know that the network is not that bad. People told me about the iPhone's CDMA radios being terrible...I didn't want to believe it; now I do. Holy CRAP!

Anyway, I am back on AT&T. I'm a professional; I need my cell phone service to run my business. I'd love to spend less, but now I understand the need to pay more - you get better service and a reputable company standing behind you.

I'm incredibly disappointed. I do hope anyone who uses the Virgin iPhone as their first Apple product has a better experience than I did.

The iPhone ruined Sprints network. I had been with Sprint for 5 years and my Android phones ran so well on 3G, I never needed 4G. I even traveled across the country and back with an Evo 4G. We used the Evo as a hotspot for the iPad and MacBook and we got reception everywhere really except a few spots in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Then, about a month after the iPhone was released, Sprints network took a dive. I couldn't even get .3Mbps when I was normally seeing 2Mbps before the iPhone was released. I switched to Verizon and a ton of Sprint customers have gone elsewhere now too. Hope it was worth it Sprint.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
The iPhone ruined Sprints network. I had been with Sprint for 5 years and my Android phones ran so well on 3G, I never needed 4G. I even traveled across the country and back with an Evo 4G. We used the Evo as a hotspot for the iPad and MacBook and we got reception everywhere really except a few spots in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Then, about a month after the iPhone was released, Sprints network took a dive. I couldn't even get .3Mbps when I was normally seeing 2Mbps before the iPhone was released. I switched to Verizon and a ton of Sprint customers have gone elsewhere now too. Hope it was worth it Sprint.

Sprint was already hemorrhaging money before sprint got the iPhone. Sprint needed the iPhone to compete with the big 2 to win back customers.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
all the unlimited data whiners went to sprint after they got the iphone

if you need a phone for work you stay with AT&T or VZW. i have an extra phone from work and on wifi almost everywhere so i'm going as cheap as possible for a personal phone

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Has anyone bought an iPhone with Sprint or another contract carrier then broke the contract the next day or soon after to join another network? If so, how did it go? I'd like to get the 64GB iPhone on Virgin Mobile since I'm already with them, but I'd rather pay $399 with Sprint then the early termination fee of $350 which would come to $100 less than $849 for the phone with Virgin.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Has anyone bought an iPhone with Sprint or another contract carrier then broke the contract the next day or soon after to join another network? If so, how did it go? I'd like to get the 64GB iPhone on Virgin Mobile since I'm already with them, but I'd rather pay $399 with Sprint then the early termination fee of $350 which would come to $100 less than $849 for the phone with Virgin.

I don't believe you will be able to use Sprint's phone with Virgin (even though they use the same service) due to CDMA restrictions. THat is why a lot of people are saying the Virgin iPhone's resale is going to be terrible... all we can ever use it on, in the states, is Virgin.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
I don't believe you will be able to use Sprint's phone with Virgin (even though they use the same service) due to CDMA restrictions. THat is why a lot of people are saying the Virgin iPhone's resale is going to be terrible... all we can ever use it on, in the states, is Virgin.

Thanks for the helpful information lordofthereef! I figured since they were both CDMA it would work. No luck there I guess. So no unlocked CDMA iPhone will work with Virgin Mobile then?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks for the helpful information lordofthereef! I figured since they were both CDMA it would work. No luck there I guess. So no unlocked CDMA iPhone will work with Virgin Mobile then?

AFAIK, no. It's the same reason why we cannot use a Verizon phone on Sprint. Technically everything is compatible (in terms of the CDMA network) but the companies don't want to sign "foreign" ESNs.

I should also add that Sprint will not let you pay your ETF until you are locked into contract (your return period has expired). With Sprint you would essentially pay your first month's fees (around $85 after taxes) PLUS the ETF. The $100 you were planning on saving would be closer to $15. Not worth the hassle IMO, even if it did work.

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic, and a lot of people feel that buying an unlocked GSM model and then going the $45/mo straight talk route (uses AT&T's towers) is the way to go. Better coverage, faster data, with only a slightly higher monthly rate. The resale value of the phone if/when you are wanting to sell it will likely more than make up the extra $5-10 you spend a month on the plan.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.