Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah.. every year apple want us to buy a new mac those of us who have quad core iMac i don't see any reason not to be supported.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Oh man, this sucks, but I'm really glad that I held off on my MacBook Pro purchase until the Sandy Bridge refresh...

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
It has to be a Mid 2011 iMac due to the hardware features.

Then this is the first time since I joined the Apple faithful that I can honestly say they've lost my respect. I don't care HOW much you plan for obsolescence, there is no way that new software should not be backward compatible for at least a couple years. That's *************.

I suppose that I will have to do something I thought I'd never have to do and jailbreak the Apple TV or crack the OS with the inevitable non-Apple 'fix' to correct this seriously idiotic Apple contrived blunder.

Thanks Cupertino. That's strike 1. :mad::mad::mad:

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
AirPlay Requires a special part of the processor (Intel QuickSync) whereas AirParrot is software based. On pre-2011 Macs Apple would have to use a similar process as AirParrot which is more intensive and likely to ramp up the fans. It's entirely possible to implement, but Apple are known to not release something that doesn't work to their standards.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
As someone pointed out in the other thread....here's the official list of supported Macs for Airplay:

AirPlay Mirroring
Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

-Kevin

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
One word.....Hollywood.

NEVERMIND....looks like it's more processor based encoding rather than DRM

-Kevin

Maybe I'm ignorant but does DRM stand for something other than digital rights management?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Maybe I'm ignorant but does DRM stand for something other than digital rights management?

It does stand for Digital Radio Mondiale....but that's not what I was referring to. Regardless....I read an incorrect article claiming Quicksync is DRM.

-Kevin

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This was really about the only reason I wanted to upgrade to ML. :mad: Now I am considering downgrading to Snow Leopard, because I didn't really gain anything from from Lion.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
This was really about the only reason I wanted to upgrade to ML. :mad: Now I am considering downgrading to Snow Leopard, because I didn't really gain anything from from Lion.

Yeah and what sucks is neither of these pages mention the restriction:
http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/
http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

You have to view the tech specs page for it.

I see a trend with Apple....announce all these new features....but wait to read the specs pages to see if you "really" get them.

-Kevin

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Airparrot can do without quicksync why cannot tim cook ?

If airparrot works so well then why not just use that? If it does not work all that great then there's your answer!

I have never used it but based on the posts that I have read it is not all that great. Don't blame apple for taking advantage of newer hardware. Its clearly a hardware limitation, there has already been a long thread about this.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
If airparrot works so well then why not just use that? If it does not work all that great then there's your answer!

I have never used it but based on the posts that I have read it is not all that great. Don't blame apple for taking advantage of newer hardware. Its clearly a hardware limitation, there has already been a long thread about this.
You think apple couldn't optimize the software to support older hardware even with slower performance sure can but its all about marketing and money.

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
You think apple couldn't optimize the software to support older hardware even with slower performance sure can but its all about marketing and money.
I agree that while Apple are a business and do exclude new features from old products to drive people to upgrade, (read Siri, iCloud requiring Lion etc) it seems that this is not the case here. As stated by multiple posters, you only need to look at AirParrot to see how AirPlay would perform on pre-2011 Macs. It's not a matter of optimisation, it just can't run at an acceptable quality if it is software based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.