Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Looking into buying a game console...haven't owned one in years. Wanted some opinions on the 360 and PS3 because I really can't decide - thanks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have a couple of 360's. They have improved a lot since they first came out. They are a lot quieter and more reliable than the early versions.
I've never owned a play station but hear good things. I think it comes down to what games you want to play (as some franchises are limited to one or the other) and the extras. Like Kinect verses move, or blue ray verses DVD. Xbox live verses Play network. Consoles do a lot more than just play games these days. Pop along to your local store and try them out. That's probably the best advice I could give.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
I restarted gaming with the PS3 at launch and switched to the 360 after Halo 3. Never went back to PS3. Yes Xbox live cost $35-50 a year but I enjoy the service and less lag than the free PSN or what ever it's called. I also like the evolution of the Xbox and live brand with multi media.

One last thing I prefer the Xbox controller over the ps3 controller too.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
At the end of the current generation lifecycle... why not wait until next gen launches in the near future, and get that, or current hardware at a discount?

Games have gotten very stale across most platforms as of late - not sure if it's a sign of another "game crash", or just that developers not pushing hard on hardware they know is near EOL.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, the Xbox "720" and PS4 are due out next year according to rumors.

The only reason why I bought a 360 a few months ago was because my white one broke..... :mad:

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Yupp. Next year is the refresh.

For now, I'd say go with the 360. While xbox live does cost ~$35 a year, that's not that much if you think about it, and you do get a superior online experience.

Get whichever console suits your games.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
They both have a few games specific to each console, so see which you would rather play.

Also, I agree with the others for a 360. PS you should add a poll.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm going to get a next gen console at all. Only 2 or 3 titles on the PS3 that really wow'd me. On the PS2, maybe double that... on the original Playstation - dozens.

It seems the graphics and hardware costs have gone up, while actual content and playability have stagnated or even regressed.

Couple this with death of used games market, and the abysmal financial straits in the console gaming business - the future is not bright for either of the big players. (you know the two I speak of)

I believe these poor business returns will result in desperate actions to get much needed cash where they can. More in-game advertisements, more expensive "expanded content" that will need to be purchased, less interest in quality developers pushing work out for something they can't sustain from. Finally, constant regurgitation of titles / formats that generate lots of cash - and atrophy of innovation that does not.

Don't mean to sound like a downer, but from what I see, the current gaming ecosystem is barreling towards a crash.

I would like to be wrong here, and hope that I am.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd say PS3.

I hadn't given attention to the current console gen until October last year (and to a greater extent the last couple of weeks). Neither are the most advanced machines compared to modern technology. Games rarely run at 1080p (although the PS3 seems to have more higher res games, and more games with 3D support) and having to pay for online services seems archaic to me having been a PC gamer for the past decade.

But just look at the exclusives. That's all that really differentiates them-

Xbox
Halo
Gears of War
Trials
Forza
Alan Wake

PS3
Little Big Planet
Journey
Gran Turismo
God of War
Heavy Rain
Metal Gear Solid
Wipeout
ICO/SOTC

The Xbox's lifeblood seems to be bulky, spacemarine, military-based action games. The PS3's seems to be arty, experimental, Japanese-focused games. But that's down to the demographics both consoles were born into.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Thing is, I'm not sure if I'm going to get a next gen console at all. Only 2 or 3 titles on the PS3 that really wow'd me. On the PS2, maybe double that... on the original Playstation - dozens.

It seems the graphics and hardware costs have gone up, while actual content and playability have stagnated or even regressed.

Couple this with death of used games market, and the abysmal financial straits in the console gaming business - the future is not bright for either of the big players. (you know the two I speak of)

I believe these poor business returns will result in desperate actions to get much needed cash where they can. More in-game advertisements, more expensive "expanded content" that will need to be purchased, less interest in quality developers pushing work out for something they can't sustain from. Finally, constant regurgitation of titles / formats that generate lots of cash - and atrophy of innovation that does not.

Don't mean to sound like a downer, but from what I see, the current gaming ecosystem is barreling towards a crash.

I would like to be wrong here, and hope that I am.

Yikes! It sounds like the truth though. I haven't seen as many TV commercial advertisements for games as I used to.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
At the end of the current generation lifecycle... why not wait until next gen launches in the near future, and get that, or current hardware at a discount?

Games have gotten very stale across most platforms as of late - not sure if it's a sign of another "game crash", or just that developers not pushing hard on hardware they know is near EOL.

That's a good observation. Copycats, sequels and resurrections. Really, it's all been done to death at this point.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Most major game releases are reboots vice new IP, but opening each COD MW... has me as excited as a kid at Christmas. Yes game developing blockbusters has slowed down, but I still have a backlog of games and love cod multiplayer with friends.

As for waiting for next gen, why wait and miss out on the fun? You have an interest in gaming feed the need. I took a few years off after the PS2 was released and bounced back for the PS3. I enjoy the new gaming world with the next gen consoles.

As for which machine the divide was wider back in the day. In game XMB on the PS3 was a dream. Now both machines share similar features. I still prefer how the UI is executed on the 360. Another decision point may be even if they share similar features, the games I like get DLC on the 360 first.

I play cod mw3 and some battlefield 3 multiplayer on the 360. If you choose the 360 look my gamer tag up scrub175.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
It's honestly cheaper to become a Gaming Hipster and play mostly indie stuff. Games are consistently better too.

Have you played Bastion, Amnesia, Journey? There's a bunch of ports on steam now for older games like oddworld.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes game developing blockbusters has slowed down...

No, it hasn't.

More money than ever is being poured into large scale projects.

We just had a huge wave in November 2011- Batman AC, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Zelda Skyward Sword, COD MW3, Saints Row 3, Mario 3D Land, Assassins Creed Revelations, Rayman Origins, Sonic Generations... each one of those games cost more than their predecessors.
The biggest are yet to come, each consoles last hurrah- Halo 4, Beyond, The Last Guardian, Black Ops 2. I can't fathom the cost of those projects.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
No, it hasn't.

We just had a huge wave in November 2011- Batman AC, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Zelda Skyward Sword, COD MW3, Saints Row 3, Mario 3D Land, Assassins Creed Revelations, Rayman Origins, Sonic Generations... each one of those games cost more than their predecessors.
The biggest are yet to come, each consoles last hurrah- Halo 4, Beyond, The Last Guardian, Black Ops 2. I can't fathom the cost of those projects.

The thing is, of all those, how many are fresh new titles? And how many are updates to known cash cows?

Simply because lots of money is spent, does not make a game good, in fact, it can create something worse.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The thing is, of all those, how many are fresh new titles? And how many are updates to known cash cows?

Simply because lots of money is spent, does not make a game good, in fact, it can create something worse.

Was just pointing out that they do develop blockbusters (or AAA titles) more than before. And most of those were very good games, but that's just opinion.

We're actually in a great era for gaming. There are plenty of cheap, disposable mini games on mobile devices, insanely-expensive titles on home consoles, and a happy inbetween on handheld consoles. Every market has plenty of content. There are lots of tiny, bedroom coders and lots of very large dev studios. It's all quite good.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
No, it hasn't.

True. Most of which are reboots and not new IP. New IP is to risky. Console gaming is going through a change where mega budgets and $60 game prices are being challenged by mobile and indie games. Mobile lacks the depth to overtake consoles, but blockbusters will wane. Sales are down on games not gears or call of duty. Developers are getting shut down.

It's great for the gamer. I mostly stick to a couple of titles a year so delays to bioshock for example doesn't concern me. Or the let down of ghost recon. Big game development is a risky business now.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I have had both consoles since launch but this is a very easy choice. As a gaming console the Xbox 360 wins hands down, not even a contest. Also as others have said the new xbox is due out next year :D

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
What games do you want to play? Most of them exists on both consoles - so find out which has the most exclusives you are interested in.

If it's 50/50 go for the one your friends have.

It more or less can't be reasoned from a objective point what console is "best", it's all based on your particular need and what's best for you.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
It is such a great time to buy the PS3, I am so excited about whats coming, and because you haven't owned one before, there is an incredible back catalogue for you to sink your teeth into.
For me personally, for the first time in a while there are no 360 exclusives that I wish were coming to PS3. And it is not too late to jump in on this generation of gaming, there is plenty of steam left in the PS3/360.
Right, I'm off to watch the Grand Prix and play Gran Turismo all afternoon. Good day

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I personally like PS3 more. I've had both consoles ... my 360 broke and Microsoft wouldn't fix it since it was three weeks out of warranty, so I said to heck with them ( I might be a little bias. lol ).

PS3 has some really good exclusives and Blu-Ray. It's getting a Crunchyroll app soon if you're into anime at all.

If you're more into online gaming I'd go with a 360 though. Live is pretty good ... especially when you find some nicer people online. I played a number of games online when I had a 360, I haven't really played anything online on my PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.