Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhernandez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I have an Ipod Nano that when playing mp3's it continually stops. During a 3 minute song it literally stop 5-20 times. It doesnt matter what mp3 I put on it. Yet the mp3's (all of them) plays fine on other players and laptops.

I even converted everything over to the acc format in itunes, still same problem.

I have to continually hit the power button and play.

I took it back to apple 5 times and they will do nothing. I am ready to throw it into the trash. Any ideas? Please help.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Your post needs a little more info for anyone to help.

You say it stops at least 5 times and up to 20 when playing a MP3 files (at least once about every 30 seconds and up to once every 10 seconds). It does this even if you convert the MP3 to AAC (which is a terrible idea). What happens if you play a native (iTunes Store or CD rip) AAC file?

Also when you take it to the Apple store and the Nano stopes/starts 20 times playing a song what exactly does the Genius say to you? Does he say it is working fine and we can't replace it? Is is under warranty?

mhernandez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Your post needs a little more info for anyone to help.

You say it stops at least 5 times and up to 20 when playing a MP3 files (at least once about every 30 seconds and up to once every 10 seconds). It does this even if you convert the MP3 to AAC (which is a terrible idea). What happens if you play a native (iTunes Store or CD rip) AAC file?

Also when you take it to the Apple store and the Nano stopes/starts 20 times playing a song what exactly does the Genius say to you? Does he say it is working fine and we can't replace it? Is is under warranty?

Hello Julien, It does this during ANY mp3 I try to play, it just turns off randomly. It doesnt matter what I play, even if native, it just stops.

Just about 20 minutes ago I was trying to listen to one mp3 and I had to click power and then hit the play button on screen over 5 times for a 5 mins mp3.

When I take it into the store they do nothing. They just reset it and say's, all is okay. I told them, no this is broken, they REFUSE to help. My warranty is no longer. I guess I am just out the money. Makes me mad. I am so frustrated as I feel like apple just does not care about their customer base.

I should have heeded the warning of my freinds, but NOoooo I bought into marketing hype of how great these things are.

Truly frustrated,

Mike

Lopper

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Mike,
Not sure if you've figured out our problem yet or not. I think I had a similar issue about a year ago. From what I remember, based on the screen backlight settings, when the screen turned off and went black, the music would stop playing. What earbuds are you using? I think I figured out that if I was using apple issued earbuds WITH volume controls, that this was causing the problem. If I switched to an Apple earbud w/o volume controls I did not have the problem, or if I used another brand of earbud (even a Sony brand WITH volume control) everything worked just fine. Hope this helps.

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
...When I take it into the store they do nothing. They just reset it and say's, all is okay. I told them, no this is broken, they REFUSE to help. My warranty is no longer. I guess I am just out the money. Makes me mad. I am so frustrated as I feel like apple just does not care about their customer base...
This seems very fishy; this is the exact opposite of how the Apple store tech support usually operates. About the only way they would do that is if you approach them all pissed off screaming about how "this POS is broken, and you better fix it!" Approach them like you would approach a good friend who you would like to ask a tiny favor of, which seems to work every time. "Is there any chance you could help me?" can work wonders. Using that approach, if they can, they will.

I had this problem with a 4G nano a year or two ago, and all it took was a restore. Try that (not a reboot or reset, a restore, which wipes the flash memory back to silicon and is available on the device page of iTunes once you connect the device. Then you have to reload all of the files.) I never had it happen again.

I f that does not work I would first try a DFU reset, which you can google. If you still have the issue after that, open a ticket with applecare on the net. Warranty or not, they will still do whatever they can to help you.

Why are you using MP3s anyway? AAC is the approved conventional format for iPod, and it sounds better. Do you know if this happens on AACs as well? It could just be some funky MP3s that choke the iPod.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Looper's suggestion could be it, but I'd be willing to bet that you're not pushing in your earphone plug far enough. When the nano goes to screen-sleep mode, there's not enough power being output to the headphones to "jump" the small gap.

Plug the headphones all the way in and I guarantee that this issue goes away.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.