Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buntym

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I paid for an unlock for my AT&T locked iPhone 4S, and after I restored I got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" message. However I'm paranoid and I don't have nor do I know anyone that has a non-AT&T sim card. I'm moving out of the country in a couple weeks and I just wanted to know if there are any sites where I can just type in my IMEI number and see if it's unlocked. I wouldn't even mind if there's a small fee I need to pay. I just don't want to go there and find out that my phone is still locked.

Thanks a lot in advance guys! :D

buntym

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
You think iTunes is trying to scam you?:confused:

Hahah no nothing like that. It's just that since this isn't a kosher method of unlocking (I'm not even sure if it's legal or not), I was having some doubts about it's legitimacy. But if you say it's unlocked if iTunes says it is, then I believe ya. Cheers!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hahah no nothing like that. It's just that since this isn't a kosher method of unlocking (I'm not even sure if it's legal or not), I was having some doubts about it's legitimacy. But if you say it's unlocked if iTunes says it is, then I believe ya. Cheers!

Try this site just so you can feel better. http://dev.mk/
But if iTunes is telling you its unlocked there is no better confirmation than that IMO.

cody.lilley

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
im all kinds of confused

well, let me start from the beginning.

I got an iphone off ebay, said it was unlocked, it wasnt (jailbroken instead)
due to some stuff i was doing with iOS 6 i had to wipe and restore back to 5.1.1, i called AT&T, they said my phone wasnt unlocked and THEY wernt the ones to unlock it. Si i called Apple, and they told me that the Carrier (AT&T) has to do the unlocking. anyway, nobody would do it for me. so i Jailbroke and unlocked it thrugh a Cydia app, it works ( as long as i dont Software Update) so i used it for a few weeks, was playing around with installing SiriPort, and got the "Stuck on Apple Logo" screen, so i turned it off, held home button while plugging Sync cable in, it entered Recovery mode, and after it wiped and reinstalled ( back to unjailbroken 5.1.1) it iTunes popped up and said "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked", so i was a little skeptical, i used the link above to check my IME # and it says it is still locked. and when i go to Settings > General > Network, there is no place to put in my Carriers Info (StraightTalk). so if somebody could help me out, that would be awesome.

iPhone 3GS
iOS 5.1.1

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
well, let me start from the beginning.

I got an iphone off ebay, said it was unlocked, it wasnt (jailbroken instead)
due to some stuff i was doing with iOS 6 i had to wipe and restore back to 5.1.1, i called AT&T, they said my phone wasnt unlocked and THEY wernt the ones to unlock it. Si i called Apple, and they told me that the Carrier (AT&T) has to do the unlocking. anyway, nobody would do it for me. so i Jailbroke and unlocked it thrugh a Cydia app, it works ( as long as i dont Software Update) so i used it for a few weeks, was playing around with installing SiriPort, and got the "Stuck on Apple Logo" screen, so i turned it off, held home button while plugging Sync cable in, it entered Recovery mode, and after it wiped and reinstalled ( back to unjailbroken 5.1.1) it iTunes popped up and said "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked", so i was a little skeptical, i used the link above to check my IME # and it says it is still locked. and when i go to Settings > General > Network, there is no place to put in my Carriers Info (StraightTalk). so if somebody could help me out, that would be awesome.

iPhone 3GS
iOS 5.1.1

AT&T phones, even when IMEI unlocked, do not expose the Cellular Data Network panel. That is no indication of the phone being IMEI unlocked.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Try this site just so you can feel better. http://dev.mk/
But if iTunes is telling you its unlocked there is no better confirmation than that IMO.

This website used to be a great lock/ unlock verification tool.

Recently, all phones come up as locked so the website can flash up an advertisement to sell you IMEI unlock. Same phones which all used to come up unlocked, now all show locked (which they are not).

For example, this is a screen capture from my Grandson's iPhone4 (usually no sim, just for games). The website shows it "locked" (used to show unlocked) but as you can see my T-Mobile sim works just fine in it.

Disappointing !

Attachments

• IMG_0014.PNG
    IMG_0014.PNG
    653.7 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:

cody.lilley

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Ok, thanks for the tip on the Dev.mk website, I noticed that they were very eager to "help" me. And on the AT&T iPhones not showing up the Network Panel, what do I need to do about that?

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This website used to be a great lock/ unlock verification tool.

Recently, all phones come up as locked so the website can flash up an advertisement to sell you IMEI unlock. Same phones which all used to come up unlocked, now all show locked (which they are not).

For example, this is a screen capture from my Grandson's iPhone4 (usually no sim, just for games). The website shows it "locked" (used to show unlocked) but as you can see my T-Mobile sim works just fine in it.

Disappointing !

Wow, that sucks.
Scooping down to the level of giving false info in order to advertise an unlock website is pretty crappy.
Good to know to avoid that site from now on.
And did you say your Grandson? I thought you were in your 20's for some reason:D

Ok, Thanks, I've been looking at TetherMe. I like how it looks. Any thoughts on PdaNet, or others? Also if I buy TetherMe through Cydia is my purchase saved so I can reinstall in the future?

Yes, you can download and install anything from cydia at any time as long as you use your facebook or google login to authenticate yourself to the cydia store.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
And did you say your Grandson? I thought you were in your 20's for some reason:D.
.:eek:

----------

Ok, Thanks, I've been looking at TetherMe. I like how it looks. Any thoughts on PdaNet, or others? Also if I buy TetherMe through Cydia is my purchase saved so I can reinstall in the future?

I use MyWi for tethering but TetherMe is a cheap method to be able to enter APN settings for data and MMS

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Hmmm..
Apparently you skipped over a few posts here (like post #11)
But, yes, the "dev.mk" site has been sold and is no longer reporting accurate info.
Does anyone know of a site that does what dev.mk used to do, which is show information like iPhone model, purchase date, carrier, iOS version, et cetera? Now dev.mk and iphoneox.com just show SIM lock status and nothing else.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Does anyone know of a site that does what dev.mk used to do, which is show information like iPhone model, purchase date, carrier, iOS version, et cetera? Now dev.mk and iphoneox.com just show SIM lock status and nothing else.

Seriously, did you read all the posts here ?
This question is already answered and the website is provided.

(Hint: #17)

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Seriously, did you read all the posts here ?
This question is already answered and the website is provided.

(Hint: #17)
You didn't read my question.

Both dev.mk and iphoneox.com show the SIM lock status, but dev.mk used to (as recently as a month ago) show a lot more information with just the IMEI. I looked up lots of IMEIs and got the purchase date of each phone, iOS version, carrier, and more.

My question is if any website currently shows that information that dev.mk used to show.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
dev.mk shows (correctly) that my iPhone is unlocked. Tested it just now. Maybe try again?

That is odd.
About a week ago (Aug 3rd) I noticed it started showing every IMEI as locked and displaying a pop-up offering unlock service.

It is back to working correctly now for the 2 phones I tried.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.