Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I have my friend's iPod and what I'm trying to do is to get all the music to sync to my iTunes without deleting is songs on his iPod. Any help please??

EvilTrovis

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Can't you just hit "Cancel" when iTunes asks if you want to erase his music and sync it with your library? From there, you should be able to choose manually manage music and drag your music onto the iPod in addition to his.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Can't you just hit "Cancel" when iTunes asks if you want to erase his music and sync it with your library? From there, you should be able to choose manually manage music and drag your music onto the iPod in addition to his.

You can't just drag music onto an iPod it has to be synced with either iTunes or something like gtk pod on linux. You could enable disc use but you might as well as kept the music on a usb thumb drive as you can't play it with out syncing with iTunes.

EvilTrovis

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
You can't just drag music onto an iPod it has to be synced with either iTunes or something like gtk pod on linux. You could enable disc use but you might as well as kept the music on a usb thumb drive as you can't play it with out syncing with iTunes.

I'm sorry but that's entirely incorrect about not playing it, unless maybe we're talking about an iPod touch (I vaguely remember something being different about them in terms of mounting and disk use; I don't own one, can't comment). Yes, you need iTunes (or another managing program; I used Amarok on Linux a few years back). But you don't HAVE to use the auto-sync feature, and the iPod doesn't have to be tied to one iTunes library.

Long story short, I have several iPods (I repair them as a hobby) ranging from a 1st gen 5GB to a 160GB iPod classic and you can, in fact, drag music DIRECTLY to the iPod (within iTunes), AND PLAY it on the iPod. At least you can with a Windows formatted iPod, but I don't see how a Mac format would make it any different. You need to enable "Manually Manage Music" for the iPod in iTunes. The setting is right above Enable Disk Use. I have a folder of songs from a previous computer of about 750 songs (in addition to iTunes libraries on different PCs; this is more of an archive) and every iPod I have, I literally just drag the folder to the iPod in iTunes (doesn't need to be added to the iTunes library first or anything) and iTunes will sync it to the iPod. Now, with manually managing music, you will lose the auto-sync feature, but it's the only way to reasonably add music from PCs outside of the host PC.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Yes but the op wanted to get the music from the iPod into his iTunes with out having to sync with his iTunes so it didn't delete the songs already on there so because the music was put on there in the first place with iTunes, your idea wouldn't get the songs from the iPod to his iTunes like he wanted to do, it would put his and his friends music on the iPod but not in to his iPod.

botwa

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
you can't place the songs from your friend's iPod to your iTunes because iTunes doesn't work this way.
you will need to copy songs manually if you want to get them so much.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
Long story short, I have several iPods (I repair them as a hobby) ranging from a 1st gen 5GB to a 160GB iPod classic and you can, in fact, drag music DIRECTLY to the iPod (within iTunes), AND PLAY it on the iPod. At least you can with a Windows formatted iPod, but I don't see how a Mac format would make it any different. You need to enable "Manually Manage Music" for the iPod in iTunes. The setting is right above Enable Disk Use. I have a folder of songs from a previous computer of about 750 songs (in addition to iTunes libraries on different PCs; this is more of an archive) and every iPod I have, I literally just drag the folder to the iPod in iTunes (doesn't need to be added to the iTunes library first or anything) and iTunes will sync it to the iPod. Now, with manually managing music, you will lose the auto-sync feature, but it's the only way to reasonably add music from PCs outside of the host PC.

I think you misunderstood what the op wanted to do 'ait? ;)
You can't just snatch music from anyones iPod to your iTunes just like that. Thats the whole idea with preventing people from stealing music ok?

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
you can't place the songs from your friend's iPod to your iTunes because iTunes doesn't work this way.
you will need to copy songs manually if you want to get them so much.

Read my first post for a way to do what you said first before you post.

I think you misunderstood what the op wanted to do 'ait? ;)
You can't just snatch music from anyones iPod to your iTunes just like that. Thats the whole idea with preventing people from stealing music ok?

Thanks for agreeing with me, I don't think steeling music is good but in this case sharing a friends iTunes library is just like sharing a really big CD and if any of of the songs are off iTunes then he will need to be a authorised computer anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.