Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
While I'd never want to own a 7" tablet, this may be good for the people who think the ipad is too big. If they price it at $250, then it's a worthy competitor to the nexus 7

same with me, making ipad smaller makes no sense, its already small and if people remember ipad was made to compete against crappy netbooks, its much capable device than netbook and screen real estate is just perfect.

i also vote against smaller ipad, instead apple shud focus on improving ipod touch which is their king device for media consumption

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
making ipad smaller would not be a good step as we need adequate amount of area for a good web experience and apple doesnt offer compromized products, a big screen ipad can make sense not shrinking it down even further.

When the iPad was released, it was basically a (great) web browser. Between Facebook and eBay, lots of popular websites have a native app now. Apps are usually much cleaner and would absolutely work on <8". Are there world-wide usage statistics for tablets? I wonder if browsing still ranks high. I only see Facebook, casual games and movies on the subway.

And this is even more anecdotal, but I wonder if there is a local bias towards bigger tablets in the American and European markets. I'm in Asia and many people have pointed out that the iPad is too big and heavy. I've never heard anyone in Europe say that.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Still isn't going to happen, and if it does Apple will only price themselves out of the market with it.
And I would also call BS on the idea of it being made on a different production line in a different country to the current iPad and iPhones etc!!

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
I was reading an interesting article (I think it was a Smartmoney blog--saw it on Flipboard) that mentioned how a majority of iPad users (60%) leave the device at home. It's possible that this rumored device would be targeted at people who would be more inclined to have an 'on the go' tablet. Although, for me, my iPhone is about the only thing I want to be carrying unless I'm traveling somewhere.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
i used a iPad for 2 years. i think i'm now moving on to jellybean.

i'm not going to jump through a million hoops anymore to do something basic in restricted iOS.

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I can't wait - I want this as a dashboard mounted iOS device - for GPS etc. - it's perfect size for this.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I'm thinking if this is true then maybe we see one event announcing both the new smaller iPad and the new iPhone.

If production is supposedly ramping up in September for this device and iOs6 is going to be available this Fall, well, Sept 22nd marks the beginning of Fall, maybe we get a Sept announcment with a release in October.

Remember the article not to long ago, Apple is planning to have an "exciting September"?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...uld_see_apple_intro_new_iphone_ipad_mini.html

I'm thinking an event the week of 24-28 in Sept for the announcement, ya heard it here first folks! lol

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
While I'd never want to own a 7" tablet, this may be good for the people who think the ipad is too big. If they price it at $250, then it's a worthy competitor to the nexus 7

So if the original iPad and all subsequent ones had been 7" you would never of bought one, and still not own one now?

----------

There's no way a company like Apple could pull something like this off. It will fail. Badly.

So if then original iPad and all later ones had been 7" devices then the whole iPad range of tablets would have been a massive fail for apple?

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I think there could be some truth in this. The market for e-books has taken off ( with Apple pushing text books) and maybe this model could serve that purpose (as a Kindle-like device), notwithstanding different screen technologies.

There is a potential gap in the line up and Apple may think they'd rather have some of that than let competitors take it. A £200 or similar price point gets easier to justify. I'd probably consider one for times when I don't want to take my MBA around with me.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Now look at the education market. $500 is too much to spend on a child or ask a parent to spring for. $250 isn't much more than we used to expect in terms of graphing calculators. They have smaller fingers, and are more comfortable working on small screens. This has to happen to capture the education market.

This.

I'd buy one for each of my daughters simply for the education factor. At that price point, it'd be a no brainer, for our needs anyway.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
What's so unlikely about either?

Well we seem to get a lot of stories in bunches "leaked" out that Apple don't seem to care about as much as they used to, based on their "doubling down" on security statement it would seem unlikely that they wouldn't take action if true.

The iPhone 5 stretched samples have many basic design/styling errors that Jony Ive would not approve - look at the camera on the back of the iPhone 4/S, notice how the radius follows the corner radius, neat. Now look at the alleged iPhone 5, it's in the wrong place for that AND it's not even in the middle (vertically) of the band at the top of the phone. This is Far-East design - I know enough from working with them that those details don't matter much, to Apple they certainly do.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Don't we usually see references in iOS to a new device? I don't remember reading anywhere there was.

What of this is just a replacement to the iPod touch? A new redesigned, more powerful and larger touch?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Anyone who keeps saying this isn't going to happen is deluding themselves.

I especially shake my head at those who scream with utter conviction "but it makes no sense!" :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, it'll absolutely fly off the shelves both in consumer and education markets. And when I say fly, I mean outstrip iPad sales 4:1.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What's the point of a smaller iPad? You would truly be better off with th regular iPad size. It seems a little unnecessary to decrease the size of one of your products to compete with another company...

I have friends who switched over to the 7" tab as they found the ipad was too big to fit comfortably in their handbag. Not sure how big the market is, but I daresay there is definitely room for a smaller ipad. :)

GeeEllBee

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Xcode on iPad

Of course the mini iPad will happen. Why not? What I really need is an implementation of Xcode for iPad :confused:
It's the only thing stopping me from acquiring an iPad, as I already own an iPhone and a MBP. If Xcode for iPad ever became reality, I'd toss away my MBP in a millisec. Apple: let's litigate but let's also innovate. ;)

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I was reading an interesting article (I think it was a Smartmoney blog--saw it on Flipboard) that mentioned how a majority of iPad users (60%) leave the device at home. It's possible that this rumored device would be targeted at people who would be more inclined to have an 'on the go' tablet.

This.

regisq

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
There will be NO iPad Mini.
Just stop posting fake info...
Apple is not a kind of company that pursues markets, it defines and creates markets.
iPad mini just doesn't make any sense.
After 2 years of posting "news" about it you should learn that it's not going to happen.
Get over it!

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
This is what I have been holding out for...a smaller version of the current iPad. Probably will wait longer for a retina display though.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
How many years has this rumor been going? Give up on it already.

"The new small ipad due out this year!"

"I know we said last year it was coming out but this year we're sure!"

"OK, OK. We know the last two years we said it was coming out but this is the year!"

Are these stories ran by the seventh day evangelists?

Sure but when's the last time WSJ and Bloomberg joined in? This thing is happening. I'd love to put $20 MacRumors bux down on it and bet you on it ;)

shnln14

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
I don't see this happening, but if it happens so what, I still have my iPad (3rd Gen.), I still love the retina display and I still carry it to school and church, no big deal for me.:D

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
There will be NO iPad Mini.
Just stop posting fake info...
Apple is not a kind of company that pursues markets, it defines and creates markets.
iPad mini just doesn't make any sense.
After 2 years of posting "news" about it you should learn that it's not going to happen.
Get over it!

Don't look at it as Apple "pursuing" a market. Just simply look at it as being consistent with what they did to the iPod line (iPod nano) and the Mac line (MacBook Air). I believe the iPod nano and MacBook Air are the most successful products in each of their lines. Why wouldn't they do the same for the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.