Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
Something to ponder ...

Why are we thinking of this as "the iPad Mini" like a totally different consumer product? I think we need to prepare for the mindset of purchasing iPads like we do Macs now.

Want to buy an iPad? Ok - what screen size? Retina or not? Wifi or 3G? Storage space? Any other BTO option?

At the end of the day it's still just an iPad. We don't call the 11" MBA the MBA Mini.

I think with Apple changing the naming scheme of the new iPad - this may be what begins happening.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
There's no way a company like Apple could pull something like this off. It will fail. Badly.

Hahaha I think the thing we're all debating is if Apple would make one, not if they could. We're all in agreement that Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time, except for you.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
I may buy this but first gen device tends to dissappoint people. Look at iPad 1 for instance (no iOS6).

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Something to ponder ...

Why are we thinking of this as "the iPad Mini" like a totally different consumer product? I think we need to prepare for the mindset of purchasing iPads like we do Macs now.

Want to buy an iPad? Ok - what screen size? Retina or not? Wifi or 3G? Storage space? Any other BTO option?

At the end of the day it's still just an iPad. We don't call the 11" MBA the MBA Mini.

I think with Apple changing the naming scheme of the new iPad - this may be what begins happening.

Exactly. And just like how (correct me if I'm wrong) adding the 11 inch sku to the MacBook Air resulted in dramatically better sales for the line, Apple's making a bet that the same will happen for th iPad line.

iPad Air anyone?

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
When the iPad was released, it was basically a (great) web browser. Between Facebook and eBay, lots of popular websites have a native app now. Apps are usually much cleaner and would absolutely work on <8". Are there world-wide usage statistics for tablets? I wonder if browsing still ranks high. I only see Facebook, casual games and movies on the subway.

And this is even more anecdotal, but I wonder if there is a local bias towards bigger tablets in the American and European markets. I'm in Asia and many people have pointed out that the iPad is too big and heavy. I've never heard anyone in Europe say that.

i m in asia too, held one yes its heavy but not a small sized device, the components need to get lighter not the screen that needs to be smaller, ipad size is perfect for content consumption device.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
To each his own. I purchased the new iPad for my kid and did not like it's size and weight. So we're waiting for a smaller iPad. I also will benefit from a smaller iPad because I have apps for my home theater that will control the devices. It's way better than a universal remote and I'm willing to pay the price to use it as such.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Launch this October? I was really hoping for a 13 in retina Macbook Pro launch this October instead (like what was rumored weeks ago)

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If this is true, it means we will never get an iPhone larger than what we get this fall.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Without Steve Jobs, Apple is falling into the rabbit hole.... This company it's supposed to LEAD not to FOLLOW. Let the small tablets fight with each other and keep improving the iPad in it's form factor. Now we are going to have an inconsistent app ecosystem as Android with apps that will look good on that space and others that wont fit. Why Apple?? Why?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm happy with my $319 iPad 2. Would not want to go any smaller for close to that price, although I am sure many would want it. If this is true, I don't see the iPod touch being around much longer...

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
What's the point of a smaller iPad? You would truly be better off with th regular iPad size. It seems a little unnecessary to decrease the size of one of your products to compete with another company...

As I said before, a smaller iPad is as relevant as a 27" inch iPhone. If this really happens, it will be a CLEAR sign that Apple has lost its way under Cook's non-visionary leadership, who seems to cave to each and every stupid "advice" by vocal analysts and customers.

I assure you: a smaller iPad would be the first of many post-SJ blunders, just like Sculley did with the fragmentation of the Mac line back in the 90s (PowerMac, Performa, LC, Quadra and Centris)...Cook is an executor, NOT an innovator.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
No reason why they can't do this. They've got a lot more surface area to spread the components around.

...and that's the key to improving the ipod touch. Add gps and maybe prepaid data and voila, there's now a need for a larger battery. Might as well bump the screen while you're at it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The major factor in this is +price+.

I don’t believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7” still won’t fit in a pocket, it’s only slightly more portable), it’s that you can buy (especially with the Nexus 7) a very nice tablet product for $200-250.

...and I don’t see an Apple 7-8” tablet, if it follows the current design model, being _that_ much cheaper. An iPad 2 is now $399 retail, 16GB, WiFi only, and I’d figure the internals on a iPad Mini would be the same, and the reduction in size could even wind up costing more.

Apple loves to tout battery life across a family of products, so a 7.xx” tablet with 10 hours of battery life (assuming an A5, 1024x768 display) might have to use a more costly display or battery tech[?] On the other hand, they might decide to cut costs on the materials: maybe go to cheaper plastic chassis? (that would have a positive side effect of being lighter, which is a attribute the small tablet manufacturers carp about).

I think the “magic” price point is $299 (or less). So maybe an 8GB model for $299 (and the upgrade to 16GB for $50, to $349), plus if cell/3G is an option, +$ along the lines of the full sized iPad models.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
When it is actually announced, all those here who said it is a dumb idea and won't ever happen will suddenly be singing its praises.

sonicboom

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
ipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense

Not if you live in a 3rd world country, which is what Brazil is, and where the rumor says it will be manufactured.

The price has to come way down for the iPad to go mainstream there. An iPad mini may be the way to accomplish that.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Just for kicks, I was rereading all the 2010 articles covering the ipad and all the naysayers who claim that it would never work. Just a giant ipod that can't make call. I already have a laptop. No multitasking/flash = fail. Boy were they off the mark.

This thread is like deja vu all over again. But then again, even a broken down clock is correct twice a day. ;)

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The major factor in this is +price+.

I don’t believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7” still won’t fit in a pocket, it’s only slightly more portable)

7" won't fit in a pocket, but it will fit in a lady's purse. I have heard that complaint that the ipad is too big from multiple women that I know.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I'm really not understanding all the iPad mini haters? If you don't like it, don't use it. Pretty simple.

Personally, I'm after a smaller iPad and a larger 'Prosumer' iPad that has more of an OSX feel to it. I find the current iPad both too small and too big.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I think Steve Jobs was right that a tablet needs to be around 10" to be effective, but there are times when a smaller will do fine. In retrospect, maybe they should have called the current iPad line, "iPad Pro" and the smaller one just iPad :)

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
I may buy this but first gen device tends to dissappoint people. Look at iPad 1 for instance (no iOS6).

Weak argument. Apple supports devices much longer than the competition. How many Android devices don't support ICS and have only ben on the market less than a year. Is it a first ten device if it just a smaller form factor? It will release with iOS6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.