Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I like the PS3 exclusives more than the 360 ones, which is really the only difference between the two (PS3 has Blu Ray though). And I don't recommend just waiting for the next generation, those are a year away (they probably won't be released until either June or during the Holidays of next year). And since you've never owned either you'll have an ENORMOUS library of really good games to play and on top of that most of them will be discounted because they're a little bit older. By the time you've finished playing everything there is to play on the PS3/360, the next generation consoles will have already been out for awhile and will have much larger libraries, plus you won't have to wait a year to game.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I like the PS3 exclusives more than the 360 ones, which is really the only difference between the two (PS3 has Blu Ray though). And I don't recommend just waiting for the next generation, those are a year away (they probably won't be released until either June or during the Holidays of next year). And since you've never owned either you'll have an ENORMOUS library of really good games to play and on top of that most of them will be discounted because they're a little bit older.

Yup :)
Bought PS3 in October 2011. Through second hand bins, work and just going a bit mad I've ended up with 32 bluray games and 44 PSN (including PS1) games.

Plus Move (£15 new!), 2 fight sticks, 4 regular controllers. ;)
I cannot recommend jumping into the current gen of consoles at this moment in time enough.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 101

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Bought PS3 in October 2011. Through second hand bins, work and just going a bit mad I've ended up with 32 bluray games and 44 PSN (including PS1) games.

I cannot recommend jumping into the current gen of consoles at this moment in time enough.

Ok - I've done a lot of research on both consoles, and:
I just found out that my favorite arcade game (The House of the Dead 4) is ONLY available on PS3 Network for download...so that plus the Blu-ray pretty much makes my decision.

Most games I'm into are cross-platform (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, etc.).

The only thing I will be jealous of is the Xbox 360's "better online experience" and some 360 exclusives. I also personally like the design of the new Xbox 360 slim better...

This is a really tough choice. On paper, the PS3 is the one to get for me. But in reality, I think I may enjoy the Xbox more. This is actually one of the hardest shopping decisions I've had to make because both systems seem to be equally as good.

gamerish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Ok - I've done a lot of research on both consoles, and:
I just found out that my favorite arcade game (The House of the Dead 4) is ONLY available on PS3 Network for download...so that plus the Blu-ray pretty much makes my decision.

Most games I'm into are cross-platform (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, etc.).

The only thing I will be jealous of is the Xbox 360's "better online experience" and some 360 exclusives. I also personally like the design of the new Xbox 360 slim better...

This is a really tough choice. On paper, the PS3 is the one to get for me. But in reality, I think I may enjoy the Xbox more. This is actually one of the hardest shopping decisions I've had to make because both systems seem to be equally as good.

Xbox Live does have the larger community and arguably to better online experience, however PS3 has something called PS+. You pay something like $50 a year (the same price as Live, IIRC) and on top of "enhanced" features you also get free and discounted games. So it's something to consider. And you could possibly look into the option of getting both, there are tons of good deals on used systems all over the place.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I bought back in 2006 with an NTSC console :) Spent WAY TOO MUCH importing it. Around 800 Euro and then got caught for import duties...

Though unlike my 360's my fat NTSC PS3 (with backwards compatability) is working well though I use it mostly in the bedroom these days.

Then I bought a Euro launch PS3, both it and the NTSC version have been upgraded with new HDD's.

Then finally bought my 3rd PS3 when the slimmer model came out.

And yes I use all three in different rooms and as blu-ray players.

So far my Blu-Ray collection is around 250 titles. I spend too much money I know, and i don't even want to know how many games I've bought since 2006 on the PS3 but it would be well over 100 at minimum.

Love PS+ and all the freebies it gives me.

PS3 has been my favorite console of this generation no question, and yet some of my favorite games of this generation have been on the 360. I adore Viva Pinata 2, Banjo-Kazooie : Nuts & Bolts and Kameo : Elements of Power...

Ironically the biggest selling 360 franchises like Gears of War I absolutely hate with a passion, and seeing no further new games coming out I sold my 360 and around 40 games to gamestop and got the PSVita and 10 games on launch....

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I used to have the PS3, which held me back onto the BR thing. Then I found out on my TV that BR didn't make much difference with DVD in the first place (yes, I'm old school :)...

Sold the PS3 because of catching dust is not what it is supposed to do. The 360 has the advantage that anyone can play with the Kinect which is pretty cool.

However, I am no gamer myself, so I would go for a used gaming console (which is not what I went with) to play the games....

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
PS3 has been my favorite console of this generation no question, and yet some of my favorite games of this generation have been on the 360. I adore Viva Pinata 2, Banjo-Kazooie : Nuts & Bolts and Kameo : Elements of Power...

When I had the original Xbox I remember really liking the "Dead or Alive" games, and it seems the 360 has those games exclusively. But what I'm really waiting for is DOA5, which will also be on the PS3.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Just got back from the store testing both the PS3 and 360 on display, and the PS3 Slim was making a horrifically loud fan noise that was almost unbearable even in the store. The Wii also made a noise, but less than the PS3. The 360 was very quiet.

That, now, affects my buying decision. I was leaning towards PS3, but when I heard that fan humming, that made me change my mind into wanting an Xbox.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just got back from the store testing both the PS3 and 360 on display, and the PS3 Slim was making a horrifically loud fan noise that was almost unbearable even in the store. The Wii also made a noise, but less than the PS3. The 360 was very quiet.

That, now, affects my buying decision. I was leaning towards PS3, but when I heard that fan humming, that made me change my mind into wanting an Xbox.

It must have either been faulty or had poor air circulation, as my PS3 slim is much quiter than my 360 slim was. The fat PS3's are quiet to begin with, but after 30-60 mins they do become audibly noticeable. However again only in as much as the 360 is normally.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

The PS3 Slim is quieter than the Xbox S. Something was very wrong with the system you tested.

stavs

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
I had a PS3 years ago which I got rid of. It was great as a blu ray player but eventually died. I just recently after a few years got an XBOX 360 (a week ago). The UI on the XBOX is way better than the PS3. The PS3 UI was almost painful to look at. Between the two I guess what it comes down to isL

1. What exclusives are must haves for you and are there any deal breakers?
2. DO you need a blu ray player?
3. Which has better downloadable games
4. Cost after console purchase (controllers, online, etc).

For me the XBOX was a winner because I wanted something different. I also like the fact that the games I want are all older games in the $20 and under realm. Sure I could buy used games, but I'll take new for a couple bucks more. I will say this though...the Wii has the best selection of retro games out there on their virtual console and they are much cheaper. I wish MS had the Turbografix stuff and all the old capcom games.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I enjoyed both at the beginning of this generation but the 360 fell off big time with me. I do all of my gaming on the PS3/PSV and my 360 is laying and waiting.

PSN is good enough for me as I don't care for party chat and that's the only separating factor to me as multiplayer is butter smooth on PSN just like LIVE. I still keep the 360 around because some of the XBLA games are great but other than that its PS3/PSV.

I still have the old 20 gig X360 and if that goes RROD on me again then I'm completely done with the 360 and any other MS branded console.

Bless

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I enjoyed both at the beginning of this generation but the 360 fell off big time with me. I do all of my gaming on the PS3/PSV and my 360 is laying and waiting.

PSN is good enough for me as I don't care for party chat and that's the only separating factor to me as multiplayer is butter smooth on PSN just like LIVE. I still keep the 360 around because some of the XBLA games are great but other than that its PS3/PSV.

I still have the old 20 gig X360 and if that goes RROD on me again then I'm completely done with the 360 and any other MS branded console.

Bless

Another reason I want the PS3 is because I hate Microsoft. :D I think I'll bite the bullet, and I hope mine does not make an audible humming sound like it did at the store. I typed in "PS3 slim fan noise" on Google, and countless threads are shown that people have had this problem.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The PS3 Slim is quieter than the Xbox S. Something was very wrong with the system you tested.

I had a PS3 slim and just got a new model XBox360 a couple months ago, and during normal gaming usage the XBox is much quieter than the PS3 was. I think newer models of the XBox have been redesigned to be quieter.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had a PS3 slim and just got a new model XBox360 a couple months ago, and during normal gaming usage the XBox is much quieter than the PS3 was. I think newer models of the XBox have been redesigned to be quieter.

Mad, my buddies have all the consoles (I've got an original 360 but my girlfriend has an S in the living room) and the PS3 Slim trumps everything - even the Wii which used to be the quietest.

Another reason I want the PS3 is because I hate Microsoft. :D I think I'll bite the bullet, and I hope mine does not make an audible humming sound like it did at the store. I typed in "PS3 slim fan noise" on Google, and countless threads are shown that people have had this problem.

Then there does seem to be a problem with those. Mine is super quiet. Quieter than my external drives and even my iMac.

The UI on the XBOX is way better than the PS3. The PS3 UI was almost painful to look at.
This is quite an interesting point to bring up.

I love the XMB because I can access everything I want in a few button presses, it was (and succeeds) in being extremely quick to navigate.
The Xbox... not so much. It's awfully cumbersome, takes longer to boot, has no auto-cloud saving, no auto patch downloading, font rendering is hideous. I actually thought my system was outputting a SD or 720p image for the menu.

For me the XBOX was a winner because I wanted something different.
The Xbox game library is very not different. It's the mad IPs of Sony and Nintendo that are "something different".

gamerish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I think I'll bite the bullet, and I hope mine does not make an audible humming sound like it did at the store. I typed in "PS3 slim fan noise" on Google, and countless threads are shown that people have had this problem.
I'm getting a PS3 too but I'm going to wait for the new "ultra-slim" model that's going to be announced in the coming weeks at Gamescon. Also, if you google anything you're going to find people complaining about it. Just how it is. You can Google "Xbox 360 fan noise" and you'll find just as many complaints.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I always had Playstations, from the original model to the 3rd.

After using my brother in law's 360, and realising after a couple of hours being shot and never knowing who shot me (I suck at FPS!), that my hands weren't cramping, I couldn't go back to the PS3 controller. It's just too small, even for my average sized hands.

Then I looked at what the 360 had to offer, and found many more RPGs (my favourite kind of game) than the PS3, that Kinect actually works, that most of the cross-platform games were a bit better on the 360, and there was more DLC.

The BluRay drive on my PS3 was playing up, so I traded it in before it failed completely, and bought a stand-alone BluRay player for not very much. That has been playing up too (largely due to DRM according to Google) and I'm starting to realise that it is a bag of hurt.

I use my 360 more than I ever did my PS3.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Sony really does need to look beyond Japan when it comes to their controllers. I'm sure the size is just right for Japanese hands, but not so for a bulk of their customers outside Japan.

Always thought someone could make a decent chunk of change selling a controller scaled up by 15%. (but otherwise the same). Dear Sony, license this or build it, please!

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Thanks for all the responses - after the toughest shopping decision ever, I ended up going with PS3 and am very happy (though I'm sure the 360 is equally great). The PS3 and 360 is a TRUE competition - they each have their own positives and end up coming out equal as far as how good they are.

stavs

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
Thanks for all the responses - after the toughest shopping decision ever, I ended up going with PS3 and am very happy (though I'm sure the 360 is equally great). The PS3 and 360 is a TRUE competition - they each have their own positives and end up coming out equal as far as how good they are.

Congrats! Regardless of which way you went, you would have had a great system.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The PS3 and 360 is a TRUE competition - they each have their own positives and end up coming out equal as far as how good they are.

Yep. Congrats on your purchase.

And it's exactly that fact (both are equally good) that makes the fanboy rants that flair up on many many sites utterly pointless.

It just depends on what you want and what games you want to play. This will also apply to the next gen too.... That's why I buy them all ;) :p

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I know this must have been thousand times again, but what are the best exclusives around for both the 360 and the PS3??

This might help you choose too ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.