Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erdnaqwe

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
That's a game, and it runs at 2880x1800, as well as every game I tested.

Games seem to have no issues. It's the apps and how they handle the retina scaling that requires updates, etc.

Ok thanks.
I did not know games were excluded from the list.
Sorry

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
NONE of this talk whatsoever answers ANY of my questions about Lightroom -- mainly I am concerned with the image quality...

Does it render images using the full 2880x1800 pixel resolution of the display, or does it render them based on a 1440x900 display, using pixel-doubling to make it fit on a 2880x1800 pixel screen??

This is what the current iterations of Photoshop do, both CS5 and CS6, the images use pixel-doubling when displayed in Photoshop, looking very pixellated on the Retina display. The image display does not take full advantage of the micro-sharp pixel density of the retina display, and only renders images based on display at a 1440x900 resolution. There is no way in Photoshop to see a true "Retina enhanced" image.

The text in Adobe Dreamweaver is the same way, pixellated, like it is in Microsoft Word. These apps haven't been Retina-enhanced either. They take the 2880x1800 display and simulate a 1440x900 pixel projection on this display...taking FOUR pixels of the Retina display and turning them into ONE pixel, so the pixel size is much larger, giving the blocky pixel effect.

So -- my real question about Lightoom 4 (current version) -- is, DOES it display high resolution images in extreme detail on the Retina display, with no visible pixellation to the images? If you opened the same image in OS X Preview App, and then looked at it in Lightroom, would they look the same? What about Aperture (which DOES take full advantage of the Retina display) --is there a notable difference in image quality between Aperture and Lightroom 4?

I would love to go ahead and buy Lightroom 4, but I only want to do so if I know for certain that it's going to look good, and be a pleasure to work with on the Retina display. That's the whole reason I'm holding out on buying Adobe CS6 -- I'm not doing it until it's Retina-enhanced, it's not worth looking at, and working with crap.

Hopefully someone can answer my Lightroom questions.

mattonthemoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto, ON
NONE of this talk whatsoever answers ANY of my questions about Lightroom -- mainly I am concerned with the image quality...

Does it render images using the full 2880x1800 pixel resolution of the display, or does it render them based on a 1440x900 display, using pixel-doubling to make it fit on a 2880x1800 pixel screen??

This is what the current iterations of Photoshop do, both CS5 and CS6, the images use pixel-doubling when displayed in Photoshop, looking very pixellated on the Retina display. The image display does not take full advantage of the micro-sharp pixel density of the retina display, and only renders images based on display at a 1440x900 resolution. There is no way in Photoshop to see a true "Retina enhanced" image.

The text in Adobe Dreamweaver is the same way, pixellated, like it is in Microsoft Word. These apps haven't been Retina-enhanced either. They take the 2880x1800 display and simulate a 1440x900 pixel projection on this display...taking FOUR pixels of the Retina display and turning them into ONE pixel, so the pixel size is much larger, giving the blocky pixel effect.

So -- my real question about Lightoom 4 (current version) -- is, DOES it display high resolution images in extreme detail on the Retina display, with no visible pixellation to the images? If you opened the same image in OS X Preview App, and then looked at it in Lightroom, would they look the same? What about Aperture (which DOES take full advantage of the Retina display) --is there a notable difference in image quality between Aperture and Lightroom 4?

I would love to go ahead and buy Lightroom 4, but I only want to do so if I know for certain that it's going to look good, and be a pleasure to work with on the Retina display. That's the whole reason I'm holding out on buying Adobe CS6 -- I'm not doing it until it's Retina-enhanced, it's not worth looking at, and working with crap.

You should ask Adobe or post the question in their forums.

Teo Morabito

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Bali

I'm a photographer and will be getting mine by wednesday, so i'll tell you if Lightroom 4 uses pixel doubling,
I hope adobe will update these apps ASAP
Then again, even apple haven't updated iWork's yet...

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Parallels in NOT compatibile with retina! I have the last build

so what was all that in their forums about being compatible with retina? I 've been asking about this a while back, as I can't figure out what they are going to do, they can't go with os x 's text rendering, so unless windows 8 comes around with proper retina support they can't do much, can they?

lucas3d

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada

If you check my previous post, I did a analyze on the Lightroom screenshot.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15204165/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15206333/

I just receive my new rMBP today. I have the same conclusion.

Let me know if you have more question.

Last edited:

rnspaight

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
so what was all that in their forums about being compatible with retina? I 've been asking about this a while back, as I can't figure out what they are going to do, they can't go with os x 's text rendering, so unless windows 8 comes around with proper retina support they can't do much, can they?

The Parallels UI is now retina-enabled, but obviously there's not much they can do with the way the guest OSes render.

lucas3d

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
DaisyDisk will be supported Retina Display

DaisyDisk it's an nice app to check disk usage (very interesting with low space as SSD :). I contact the support about full retina support of the app. Currently part of the text are blurred but graphic look very nice !

They are working to support Retina Display.

Attachments

• DaisyDisk  Retina.png
    DaisyDisk Retina.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 111

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
Citrix says (via a support email to me) that GoToMeeting will be updated in July. That'll be the first screensharing program that's usable with a retina Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.