Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the third-generation iPad will launch in China on Friday, July 20. The announcement comes a little over a week after Apple settled a trademark dispute over the "iPad" name in China for $60 million.
In China the new iPad will be available through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), select Apple Authorized Resellers and by reservation from Apple retail stores. Reservation requests will be accepted daily from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. beginning Thursday, July 19 for pick up the following day.
ipad_3_hand_china.jpg

China has rapidly become one of Apple's most important markets despite a slower-than-expected retail store rollout, and the launch of the latest iPad has been highly anticipated there as it debuted in roughly 100 other countries before making its way to China.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Third-Generation iPad in China on July 20

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
To them, it really will be the 'New iPad'.

Good for them. Finally they will be able to enjoy this awesome device.
Sheeet, I haven't been able to put one down since April 2010.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
despite a slower-than-expected retail store rollout

It is true that there are not many Apple stores in China, but there are many resellers (stores) that sell authentic Apple products. So the lack of Apple own stores will not effect sales in any way.

And of course people can buy online too, and probably from a million not-authorized sources, that still sell authentic Apple products - often grey imports from Hong Kong or other places.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
...and JUST when I got mine from HK too!

Well, be interesting to see what the prices come in at ... at the moment the local *gray market* stocks them from ~ 3500 RMB (for 16 gig wifi) last I checked.

Kwramm

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
I wonder how much the copyright dispute really has to do - after all, the iPad 2 has been on sale all time long with the exception of a few days. And not long ago I read that they finally have a partner for the 3G version. I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for the delay was finding that partner and signing the contract so both Wifi and 3G version could be launched on the same date, which is definitely more newsworthy than a staggered release.

Anyway, if it's the usual "China launch", add 2 months to the release date until you'll be able to actually walk into a store and just pick one up right there. So I wouldn't feel bad for getting a HK version.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Great news!

This time around, the demand in mainland China will probably not be as high as it was for iPad 2 because many people have got their new iPads coming from Hong Kong and other regions.

roanmartigan

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
...and JUST when I got mine from HK too!

Well, be interesting to see what the prices come in at ... at the moment the local *gray market* stocks them from ~ 3500 RMB (for 16 gig wifi) last I checked.

Here are the prices:

WLAN 机型
RMB 3,688 16GB
RMB 4,488 32GB
RMB 5,288 64GB

WLAN + Cellular 机型
RMB 4,688 16GB
RMB 5,488 32GB
RMB 6,288 64GB

stormdanny

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
why Apple take so long time to enter the China market? They should know there are plenty of grey import making huge profit from it(big market right?)

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Here are the prices:

WLAN 机型
RMB 3,688 16GB
RMB 4,488 32GB
RMB 5,288 64GB

WLAN + Cellular 机型
RMB 4,688 16GB
RMB 5,488 32GB
RMB 6,288 64GB

Wow that's jumped! last I looked in Shanghai was early May, so they must either be tight on supplies or what I was quoted was 'too good to be true' :p Thanks for the heads up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.