Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesOK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I'm thinking about purchasing MS Office 2011 for my new rMBPro. How have others handled the distortion issue as MS Office 2011 isn't yet updated for Retina Display? Any updates when this will be updated?

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
This has been asked before and knowing Microsoft it could take many months to update and it's already 10 months in and they still don't fully support Lion Fullscreen yet.

JamesOK

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Would you get MS Office or is iWorks completely compatible with MS documents, i.e. converting to .doc.

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Would you get MS Office or is iWorks completely compatible with MS documents, i.e. converting to .doc.

When I had both I always found some issues with loading .docx into iWorks which was mostly formatting, table errors but they are easy to fix.

I heard also that libreoffice is meant to look pretty good too when compared to office 2011.

markp99

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
New Hampshire
I'm thinking about purchasing MS Office 2011 for my new rMBPro. How have others handled the distortion issue as MS Office 2011 isn't yet updated for Retina Display? Any updates when this will be updated?

I frankly do not see any significant distortions in Office 2011. It is totally usable IMO.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Supposedly litre office doesn't have pixelation. Could always use that instead.

Sorry, didn't realise is was already posted.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
What part of Office doesn't support Lion's full screen?

It supports full-screen in the most basic sense. It would have been nice to see them utilize it better considering it took them almost a year.

I frankly do not see any significant distortions in Office 2011. It is totally usable IMO.
It's usable, but it is terrible looking. It can actually be quite straining on the eyes after a while.

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I'm not even using "best for retina" and I don't see any issue with MSOffice11 either.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
When I had both I always found some issues with loading .docx into iWorks which was mostly formatting, table errors but they are easy to fix.

I heard also that libreoffice is meant to look pretty good too when compared to office 2011.

this. I have had awful formatting issues going from word to pages. If you use word at work...get office of mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.