Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Here is the usb charger that I made on my lunch at work today. I used this mini car charger, gutted it, hooked it up to some bullet connectors and put a few layers of shrink wrap around it. I have yet to test it since I left my battery at home but will as soon as I'm off. I sure hope it works!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 194

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Here is the usb charger that I made on my lunch at work today. I used this mini car charger, gutted it, hooked it up to some bullet connectors and put a few layers of shrink wrap around it. I have yet to test it since I left my battery at home but will as soon as I'm off. I sure hope it works!

Sweet Baby Jesus! that is nice! :)

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Sweet Baby Jesus! that is nice! :)

Well I just tested it and for some reason it won't charge my iPad... It will charge it for a little then say not charging on the iPad. It charges my iPhone nicely though.

Edit: I put a voltmeter up to the USB and its only putting out 2.7 volts so I must of done a ****** solder job considering it use to be an iPad charger and put out 5 volts haha. Also it gets a little warm while charging my phone. Oh well it was worth a shot.

Edit x2: Actually I don't even know what I did. I was just reading one of the pins at 2.7 volts. The first pin is still running at 5 volts like a normal iPad charger. All the voltages match up with my normal iPad charger plugged into the wall so I'm not really sure what's wrong. I got my iPad to charge off the battery for about 3 minutes max but it always stops and says not charging eventually.

Edit x3: Turns out it's the cord that wouldn't charge my iPad. When I plugged my iPad into the wall charger it did the same thing!! I tried a different cord and it charges perfectly off the battery!

Last edited:

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
So, I've finally got my HB kit !!! Here it is :
photo0062l.jpg

I've used a car charger and some adapters so I can continue to use it and have also the battery pack. Cables are long enough to allow me to charge my MacBook Air from my backpack ;)

This was really a great idea ! Total cost : $ 60

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I've used a car charger and some adapters so I can continue to use it and have also the battery pack. Cables are long enough to allow me to charge my MacBook Air from my backpack ;)

Nice work man! Did you put the same connector on the end of the charger?

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Nice work man! Did you put the same connector on the end of the charger?
Nope! For the charger, I've used the same 4mm connectors for safety reasons and maximum current. I'm using a HKE4 HB charger fully balanced battery.
photo0063nc.jpg

Yesterday I've made a test and I've got my MacBook Air 11" charged from 20% to 100% is 1h20min. At the end the battery cells were around 3.80V, so it still had some juice to go... :)
That's really a great performance for my needs! The battery is light and capable of giving me 5-6 hours working... I think about the flights, trains and buses where I don't have the possibility to charge but still need to use the computer! (I travel 3 or 4 times a week!).

Thanks Chipg fro this GREAT tip!!! ;)

silverjam

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
What are the comparisons in System Report with your Mag Safe standard adapter and your battery model? I mean down the bottom on power under AC Charger Information? I say that because I have a hyper Juice but did the same as you with the cable so I made my own Hyper Juice Cable with a Mag Safe AirLine Adapter (Soldered a plug on to plug into the HJ, as opposed to using the clunky Magic Box).

See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1372020/

I ask that because my System Report shows identical wattage on the AC Adapter section on the Mag Safe and the Hyper Juice. Both same.

That is... the MBA don't seem to know the difference so all cool.

Silver.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
nope! For the charger, i've used the same 4mm connectors for safety reasons and maximum current. I'm using a hke4 hb charger fully balanced battery.
yesterday i've made a test and i've got my macbook air 11" charged from 20% to 100% is 1h20min. At the end the battery cells were around 3.80v, so it still had some juice to go... :)
that's really a great performance for my needs! The battery is light and capable of giving me 5-6 hours working... I think about the flights, trains and buses where i don't have the possibility to charge but still need to use the computer! (i travel 3 or 4 times a week!).

Thanks chipg fro this great tip!!! ;)

nice!!! :)

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Great to see that others have done it aswell. This might become very popular in the next months.
Im on holiday right now and when I was at the security check before my flight I asked the security people there if I would be allowed to take a LiPo battery. I showed him a picture of it aswell. (I didn't take it with me this holiday because I did not want to risk it being taken away at the security check and because the flight was only 4 hours.) He looked at it and wasn't sure so he asked a couple of his colleagues. He came back and said yes sure you can take it onto the flight in the hand luggage. Its just not allowed to take liquid batteries like Lead acid onto flights.
So its all good. This was from the airport in Munich, Germany, so it should be the same in all of europe at least. Thought this might be of interest to some people here.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008

Looks nice! Where did you source all of the parts?

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Looks nice! Where did you source all of the parts?
Main parts at HobbyKing. Codes :
  • TE4 HobbyKing E4 Balance Charger
  • AM1009x10 HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector
  • T3600.4S.20 Turnigy 3600mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack
  • CELLTKEY HobbyKing Cell Key - 6s Lipoly Cell checker

The car charger I bought at Note-X in France, but it seems they already run out of stock :eek:. And the plugs I've got from Conrad France.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Great to see that others have done it aswell. This might become very popular in the next months.
Im on holiday right now and when I was at the security check before my flight I asked the security people there if I would be allowed to take a LiPo battery. I showed him a picture of it aswell. (I didn't take it with me this holiday because I did not want to risk it being taken away at the security check and because the flight was only 4 hours.) He looked at it and wasn't sure so he asked a couple of his colleagues. He came back and said yes sure you can take it onto the flight in the hand luggage. Its just not allowed to take liquid batteries like Lead acid onto flights.
So its all good. This was from the airport in Munich, Germany, so it should be the same in all of europe at least. Thought this might be of interest to some people here.

Yes, a friend took his on a flight in the USA with no problems. The main thing is that it can not have any loose metal ends that can short out or spark and the reason I recommend the bullet connectors.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Before 9/11, my wife was on a flight in which someone's carry-on battery caught fire and began to smoke inside an overhead bin. There was much terror. Make absolutely double sure that the terminals can't short.

ibmman69

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I've been a hobby electrician since I was a kid, and found the OP's ingenuity interesting. I had a similar idea, but never went forward because I found commercially available options, and didn't want to take the fire risk. When I was younger, and less risk averse, I would've probably done this just to do it, but now I say anything I need a fireproof bag to charge is something I don't need in my house.

Props to OP for the idea and the writeup.

Everyone else, have fun and stay safe.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
What are the comparisons in System Report with your Mag Safe standard adapter and your battery model? I mean down the bottom on power under AC Charger Information?

Here it gives me the same as the AC Charger :

Code:
AC Charger Information:

Connected:	Yes
  ID:	0x0100
  Wattage (W):	60
  Revision:	0x0000
  Family:	0x00ba
  Charging:	Yes

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
These li-po batteries are approved by the FAA to be taken on an aircraft AFTER 9/11... Just make sure the end terminals can't short out.

"Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.
o Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size."
Do the massive LiPo batteries we are using comply with that? How much lithium content in the ones we use?

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
"Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.
o Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size."
Do the massive LiPo batteries we are using comply with that? How much lithium content in the ones we use?

They do comply with carry on rules, I know some film and video production guys that take on flights massive li-po batteries to power big shoulder mount pro cameras for hours in their carry on camera cases.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Anyone else get one made?

I would have thought with 12k views more than 4 people would have made one???

Duncs65

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
OK I didi it too

Anyone else get one made?

I would have thought with 12k views more than 4 people would have made one???

I have not replied but I have been away on holidays and was waiting to get back to add images to the post.

I was a little reserved as has been mentioned in others posts, but after a few people did it I felt I could have a go.

Anyway, ordered all of the stuff (Battery 5000mah, Gold Connectors, and a second hand magsafe). Put it all together and woohoo it works a treat.

Not sure if the battery is the best as it seems to work for a couple of hours and then one of the cells is depleted. So I have to recharge and balance the unit.

I will maybe post again once I am home and send pics of the two battery testing units I bought from HK.

Anyway kudos to the OP and thanks for the others that tried and posted as it gave this sheep the balls to give it a go on a brand new MacBookAir (1.7, 8mb, 512mb).

Duncan :D

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Well turns out my pack is defective. The far left cell was the one that always discharged fully while others did not. This cell has expanded to about double its width now, without the plastic wrap it would have been triple im guessing because there is a lot of pressure. I've contacted Hobbyking and placed an RMA. Going to ship the battery to them in the next days. I hope they will replace it.

Chipg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Well turns out my pack is defective. The far left cell was the one that always discharged fully while others did not. This cell has expanded to about double its width now, without the plastic wrap it would have been triple im guessing because there is a lot of pressure. I've contacted Hobbyking and placed an RMA. Going to ship the battery to them in the next days. I hope they will replace it.

What did you end up doing? Did you get a new pack?

I now have over 100 charges / cycles with not a single issue.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
What did you end up doing? Did you get a new pack?

I now have over 100 charges / cycles with not a single issue.

Haha nope. I sent the pack to them three weeks ago and two weeks ago I asked the support. They said it is with t heir warranty people and its being dealt with. Awesome customer support!!!! Bloody hell. I have not heard anything from them, at all. I really doubt they have so much warranty claims and stuff that they take this long. Ridiculous.

I was just unlucky with mine then. Real bummer. Im going on a trip on friday and would liked to have taken it. Screw Hobbyking.

mba-man

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
I'd love to do this. I've already purchased the charger and magsafe, but am uncertain about the Li-Po battery. Will the 5000mAh/15C battery be safe to use or should I get the 4400mAh instead? Also, do you recommend any voltage regulators that will automatically cut-off the battery discharge if it falls below that minimum voltage? I'd prefer something that just cuts it off instead of making noises if I'm traveling on an airplane. It might scare people, won't it?:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.