Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
No file size limitation. Is this a HB'd file? Or are you trying to play an uncompressed h.264?

No this is that same AVATAR file I'd been working on. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. The wife and I had just finished a movie and and I wanted to see how it looked. So I selected it and waited. I installed Ethernet house wide. I may start plugging my MBP in when I know I'll be watching a movie. The first movie we watched was about 975MB. That worked fine.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
No this is that same AVATAR file I'd been working on. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. The wife and I had just finished a movie and and I wanted to see how it looked. So I selected it and waited. I installed Ethernet house wide. I may start plugging my MBP in when I know I'll be watching a movie. The first movie we watched was about 975MB. That worked fine.

It's got nothing to do with file size. My Lord of the Rings file is 16GB and it streams over wifi just fine. Of course, wifi quality is a fairly personal situation, ethernet is always preferable to wifi. So the file you tried, was not run through Handbrake?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Is there a certain file size limit the ATV has? Played a movie last night, then wanted to check out AVATAR, it wouldn't start. Stayed on the spinning circle, then brought up the time bar and sat there for 5 mins or so. I think the file size is 3.8GB.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: 3.8 GB if you are correct is well within the file size for easy atv playback (1. going back to atv 1 and 2. it doesn't even require that large file size (( 64 bit mp4)) be checked ) . 64 bit mp4 is only required for files over 4 GB. That said its kind of default since all apple products support 64 bit mp4 hence it being default on all HB presets.

----------

Oh, and subler is still the default player for video files.
Subler is a remuxer and tagger, not a video player.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: 3.8 GB if you are correct is well within the file size for easy atv playback (1. going back to atv 1 and 2. it doesn't even require that large file size (( 64 bit mp4)) be checked ) . 64 bit mp4 is only required for files over 4 GB. That said its kind of default since all apple products support 64 bit mp4 hence it being default on all HB presets.

----------

Subler is a remuxer and tagger, not a video player.

I know it's not a video player. I guess I should have said that when I double click on a video Subler opens. And when you right click on said video and select open, Subler is default.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Is this h.264? Can I just remux?

ScreenShot2012-07-02at61451PM.png

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I've recently started to have issues with Subler and Handbreak shutting down and giving me an error report. I glanced through it but can't seem to pinpoint the reason for the shutdown. With Handbrake I had queued up 5 movies before going to bed and in the morning it had finished one and a half before "quitting unexpectedly". I reopened and started it back up and the wife called me telling me it had quit again.

With Subler it will happen at random times. Sometimes right after I search for the metadata, sometimes after I choose the metadata, and sometimes when I click on the tab to designate that it's a 720 video.

Any ideas?

My MBP only has about 10GB of space left, but all of this stuff is being done on an external USB 2.0 drive.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I've recently started to have issues with Subler and Handbreak shutting down and giving me an error report. I glanced through it but can't seem to pinpoint the reason for the shutdown. With Handbrake I had queued up 5 movies before going to bed and in the morning it had finished one and a half before "quitting unexpectedly". I reopened and started it back up and the wife called me telling me it had quit again.

With Subler it will happen at random times. Sometimes right after I search for the metadata, sometimes after I choose the metadata, and sometimes when I click on the tab to designate that it's a 720 video.

Any ideas?

My MBP only has about 10GB of space left, but all of this stuff is being done on an external USB 2.0 drive.
You certainly are getting short of HDD space and that can cause some quirkiness. Although you are using an external, there is probably reading/writing as part of virtual memory used by the apps. If you can free up some disc space, that's always a good thing. Anyway, make sure you are using the Subler beta and if you are using a HB nightly build, go to the approved version (0.9.6) and see if you application stability improves. Also, sometimes just a reinstall will improve things. If trying a different version and/or reinstall of HB does not solve the problem, I would recommend going to the HB forum and provide the activity log. They can pinpoint problems from that and give more technical help that will be hard to find on this forum.

I had the exact same issue you are describing when I was using the "non" beta release. Lot's of crashing and usually when selecting/importing metadata. The beta version has been rock solid. As for HB, I have had an occasional crash but they are very rare. I do not use the queue, though and if you do, it might have something to do with that.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I'm using the Subler version you recommended, but not a nightly build of HB. It's version 0.9.6 x86_64. I ran repair permissions. I also have 8GB of RAM.

I will have to post in the HB forum. Thanks mic.

You certainly are getting short of HDD space and that can cause some quirkiness. Although you are using an external, there is probably reading/writing as part of virtual memory used by the apps. If you can free up some disc space, that's always a good thing. Anyway, make sure you are using the Subler beta and if you are using a HB nightly build, go to the approved version (0.9.6) and see if you application stability improves. Also, sometimes just a reinstall will improve things. If trying a different version and/or reinstall of HB does not solve the problem, I would recommend going to the HB forum and provide the activity log. They can pinpoint problems from that and give more technical help that will be hard to find on this forum.

I had the exact same issue you are describing when I was using the "non" beta release. Lot's of crashing and usually when selecting/importing metadata. The beta version has been rock solid. As for HB, I have had an occasional crash but they are very rare. I do not use the queue, though and if you do, it might have something to do with that.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm using the Subler version you recommended, but not a nightly build of HB. It's version 0.9.6 x86_64. I ran repair permissions. I also have 8GB of RAM.

I will have to post in the HB forum. Thanks mic.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Since both have become unstable, and they both are usually very stable (maybe Subler a little less so), I suspect more of a system issue than an app issue. Also, consider doing a disc repair as well as permissions. I just did a disk scan/repair and was surprised at what it found as I had not been having any significant issues but had noticed a little more "spinning beachball" than usual. System has been snappier since doing the repair. Sorry I didn't have that magic answer for you.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I'm doing Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des Loups) which is a french movie. I don't like watching it in english because the words don't match the lips. So this will be the first movie that I"m going to do subtitles. But for the audio, do I have this set up right?

HandbrakeAudioSettings.png

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I'm doing Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des Loups) which is a french movie. I don't like watching it in english because the words don't match the lips. So this will be the first movie that I"m going to do subtitles. But for the audio, do I have this set up right?

Looks good. If you want, you could move the french track to the default first 2 positions, that way you would not have to go in and select the audio stream each time.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Looks good. If you want, you could move the french track to the default first 2 positions, that way you would not have to go in and select the audio stream each time.

I got impatient last night and just assumed I was right and transcoded it. I could now change the default track via Subler if I wanted right?

Now when I get home tonight, on to subtitles....

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I got impatient last night and just assumed I was right and transcoded it. I could now change the default track via Subler if I wanted right?

Now when I get home tonight, on to subtitles....

Yes, you can change the order in Subler. I assume you are wanting to do soft subtitles, as if you wanted hard coded you would have burned them in while using HB. For subtitles, a few comments:

-You have to use an srt file either downloaded or created by Subler.

-Since you didn't add the srt while doing the HB transcode, I assume you will add it using Subler. Once the track is added and the file saved, check the sync. If it is not synced, Subler has an offset setting you can adjust. Takes a bit of trial and error.

-I used the stopwatch on my phone to measure how far the sync is off, then go into Subler and add/subract that value. That gets you close but may not be exact. From there it's add/subtract small amounts/save/test/repeat until you get it just right. Subler extracted subtitle tracks may have less sync issues that downloaded tracks.

Good luck.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Yes, you can change the order in Subler. I assume you are wanting to do soft subtitles, as if you wanted hard coded you would have burned them in while using HB. For subtitles, a few comments:

-You have to use an srt file either downloaded or created by Subler.

-Since you didn't add the srt while doing the HB transcode, I assume you will add it using Subler. Once the track is added and the file saved, check the sync. If it is not synced, Subler has an offset setting you can adjust. Takes a bit of trial and error.

-I used the stopwatch on my phone to measure how far the sync is off, then go into Subler and add/subract that value. That gets you close but may not be exact. From there it's add/subtract small amounts/save/test/repeat until you get it just right. Subler extracted subtitle tracks may have less sync issues that downloaded tracks.

Good luck.

What do you mean by Subler extracted?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
What do you mean by Subler extracted?
Subler has the ability to read the subtitle VOBSub file and convert it to editable text, then export that file to an srt format. Subler does not make it an intuitive process but it's not hard to do. Just need to do certain steps in the proper sequence. Also, because it's an OCR process, it's a good idea to look over the text in the srt to make sure your spellings are correct. I think I have posted this process on forum previously, so you may want to do a search for it, if that is the way you want to go.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
For my convience and others:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1345900/

You 1) open a "new" window, 2) "import" file, 3) Select the subtitle track, 4) "save" to your chosen location. After that you will have an mp4 that you can then open in Subler and then "export" the srt track for editing. The new, import, save sequence is what triggers the OCR aspect of Subler to become active. So you have to do it that way. After that, you're on your own. I ran out of time last night trying to figure out how to view/edit the srt. But I do know that you can view it using Text Edit. Not sure that is the best way to view/edit it though. Let me know if you make progress in with doing this as I would like to know more about it too.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Alright, I did it. Not too bad. I'll have to watch it now and see how the subtitles are. In the quick scrubs I did I just saw one place where it left out a space between "of" and "the".

Edit: Nevermind. They are all funky. It's and L's got changed to / and stuff isn't spelled right... Also I don't like how it puts the semi transparent bar across the movie.... Looks like this one will have to be burned in.

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Alright, I did it. Not too bad. I'll have to watch it now and see how the subtitles are. In the quick scrubs I did I just saw one place where it left out a space between "of" and "the".

Edit: Nevermind. They are all funky. It's and L's got changed to / and stuff isn't spelled right... Also I don't like how it puts the semi transparent bar across the movie.... Looks like this one will have to be burned in.

The bar is an aTV thing, not Subler. There is some speculation it is going away in iOS6. I use Jubler (free) to check the subtitle accuracy and make corrections. Although, the couple of times I have done it, there OCR was very good. Guess YMMV.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
The bar is an aTV thing, not Subler. There is some speculation it is going away in iOS6. I use Jubler (free) to check the subtitle accuracy and make corrections. Although, the couple of times I have done it, there OCR was very good. Guess YMMV.

I was thinking about it last night, it might be because it is a French movie, I'm wondering if there are some characters that are throwing it off. I almost downloaded Jubler last night but it seemed there is so much to correct I would almost have to watch the movie and correct it as I go.

I'll try an all English video tonight and see if it turns out better.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I was thinking about it last night, it might be because it is a French movie, I'm wondering if there are some characters that are throwing it off. I almost downloaded Jubler last night but it seemed there is so much to correct I would almost have to watch the movie and correct it as I go.

I'll try an all English video tonight and see if it turns out better.

Yeah, sometimes it's easier to just download the srt. Let someone else do the work. I've had good luck with that route too. I did "Incindies" (also a french movie) that way and it just took maybe 3-4 re-saves to get the sync spot on.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Over the last few nights I've added more and more videos to the queue that I run at night. First night was 2 movies, then 3, last night was 4 movies with no issues. Must have been a freak incident.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Well I'm trying my first HD-DVD transcode. Using my Xbox HD-DVD drive I ripped Stardust and The Departed. The first step with makeMKV is much faster on the HD-DVD's, takes just a few seconds. On Stardust it labeled all the selections, main title, trailers, extras, etc. on the Departed it was just mumbo jumbo letters and numbers. Weird. I should take a screen shot.

Running handbrake right now for Stardust. It's averaging about 3fps with an estimated 13 hrs. I never understood the DTS audio issues, but we will find out soon enough. I think it had both True audio and Dolby Digital.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Well I'm trying my first HD-DVD transcode. Using my Xbox HD-DVD drive I ripped Stardust and The Departed. The first step with makeMKV is much faster on the HD-DVD's, takes just a few seconds. On Stardust it labeled all the selections, main title, trailers, extras, etc. on the Departed it was just mumbo jumbo letters and numbers. Weird. I should take a screen shot.

Running handbrake right now for Stardust. It's averaging about 3fps with an estimated 13 hrs. I never understood the DTS audio issues, but we will find out soon enough. I think it had both True audio and Dolby Digital.
Just a suggestion: When doing something new (HD-DVD) or dealing with something I am not sure what the end effect will be (DTS), I just encode a single chapter and check it out. I just hate doing overnight rips (my rip speed is identical to yours) to find out the audio is not right or the video is garbled.

Anyway...just a suggestion.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Just a suggestion: When doing something new (HD-DVD) or dealing with something I am not sure what the end effect will be (DTS), I just encode a single chapter and check it out. I just hate doing overnight rips (my rip speed is identical to yours) to find out the audio is not right or the video is garbled.

Anyway...just a suggestion.

That is a great suggestion that I never thought about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.