Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Same. I hope they don't get rid of or change the dock connector though, as my headunit has an ipod dock connector.

If they do switch to the small Dock connector (I'm split on this), I hope they provide a low-profile adapter during the first year of transition. And the new connector needs to have a very strong magnetic connection to provide the same support as the current connector provides for devices.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
ipod_nano_oblong_rendering.jpg

Apple is making a Zune?

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
The click-wheel was/is a brilliant, brilliant interface. They had it perfected!

Yeah, interesting to read in the Steve Jobs BIO that it was Phil Schiller's idea (if I recall it well). There are tons of cool things we love in Apple products that didn't come from Steve but from another talented people in Apple.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I always liked the tall and skinny Nanos.
My wife had the Product(Red) one before the switched to the short & Stubby one..then they went back to tall and thin, then i guess to the now form or just square?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
While I know it's just a quick render, that thing looks just 'meh'.

Kudos for the use of 'oblong' though, it's not every day you see that word used in a headline.

I don't like it either. Looks generic in the renderings + where do I insert my earphones? IR?..wow that'll be amazing! Those white plastic apple ones are always not long enough from pocket to ear, plus the white plastic doesn't go too well with the black i-phone..well, that's cleary OT now.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I like the "wrist watch"-able design way too much.
In fact, I'm hoping it will continue to exist and maybe get complimentary features together with iOS and OS X.

Apple is a master in vertical integration, how can companies create Pebble Watches et all whilst Apple leans back and does nothing about their iPod nanos to compliment their other products?

This would possibly help both products, the nanos and the devices they could connect and interact with.

I swear I'll buy a nano some day just for the powerful wrist watch it is, add some more beefy features to it and we have a clear winner!

Come on, Apple! :apple:

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I haven't heard anyone say the word 'oblong' since primary school where we were then taught to say rectangle/rectangular

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
As others have alluded, this would make sense if the miniature iPad rumours are true - this could be Apple's smaller and cheaper iPod touch. They can't attempt to sell iPod touches at prices competing with a 7" tablet.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
God, that's hideous, and it looks exactly like a Lumia 900. I understand that it's a render but it looks awful.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
This, plus recent iPad mini (and other) rumors and some boredom-fueled daydreaming has me wondering...

What if the rumored iPad mini is actually the new, reimagined iPod touch?
What if they dropped the "touch" form the name (taking a cue form iPad) and this was the new iPod? A smaller than iPad/tablet-like device. Yielding a fall iDevice lineup of the following: iPod shuffle (seems too popular/convenient to kill), iPod nano, iPod, iPad, iPhone.

K... Back to work.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
It seems like a logical next step for the iPod Nano...I like the design! However, like many people, my iPhone is my iPod and I have no reason to buy a standalone iPod.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I like the idea. I'd replace my Touch with this and only use it as an mp3 player. Needs to run spotify though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.