Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Guys,

Got a few questions that I hope you can help me with as I'm heavily considering the migration from iOS to Android. iOS6 Beta2 is well too familiar and (Apple's Maps SUCKS!) not progressing far enough. I'm considering the Galaxy Nexus for capacitive buttons and screen size.

How many Exchange ActiveSync Mail/Contacts/Calender/Tasks/Notes can sync on ICS/JellyBean?

Can I choose which alerts (Calls, Emails, SMS/MMS, or other app alerts) show up on the lock screen on Galaxy Nexus?

Can I choose to silence SMS/MMS notifications (vibration & ringtone)? I basically want to leave the phone at my desk and nobody knows I've received these until I unlock my phone?

Can I lock applications with a unique password separately from device lock?

Can I separate GMAIL account from Exchange account emails (in 1 app or use gmail app for push gmail email vs Mail for Exchange)?

how would I keep my OSX Safari bookmarks in check on both Galaxy Nexus & OSX?

Thanks,

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks ... I'm not registered there yet but considered here because I'm a current iPhone & Mac user and maybe the answers here would reflect experiences related to iOS/OSX.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Hi Guys,

Got a few questions that I hope you can help me with as I'm heavily considering the migration from iOS to Android. iOS6 Beta2 is well too familiar and (Apple's Maps SUCKS!) not progressing far enough. I'm considering the Galaxy Nexus for capacitive buttons and screen size.

How many Exchange ActiveSync Mail/Contacts/Calender/Tasks/Notes can sync on ICS/JellyBean?

No Limit

Can I choose which alerts (Calls, Emails, SMS/MMS, or other app alerts) show up on the lock screen on Galaxy Nexus?

Yes

Can I choose to silence SMS/MMS notifications (vibration & ringtone)? I basically want to leave the phone at my desk and nobody knows I've received these until I unlock my phone?

Yes I use to do it with audioguru app

Not that I know of

Can I separate GMAIL account from Exchange account emails (in 1 app or use gmail app for push gmail email vs Mail for Exchange)?

Yes u can. There are 2 email apps one is Gmail which works with gmail accounts. Second one is regular pop/imap/exchange app that u can use with everything else. I use to use non gmail app for all email

I don't use safari. In my case before i use to use xmarks to sync but now you can install chrome on osx let it import safari settings and bookmarks and then u can sync it with chrome mobile on your nexus

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Hi Guys,
Got a few questions that I hope you can help me with as I'm heavily considering the migration from iOS to Android.
I use both iOS and Android concurrently. Both are quite nice, just different.

Like anything else, it's all in how you want to use it, and what you want to accomplish.

After several years with Android, I've found there's nearly unlimited customization that's possible and that's what appeals to me. In addition, the large spacious 4.8" display on my new Galaxy S III is truly wonderful. It makes web browsing a true pleasure, especially since it really reduces the amount of scrolling that one has to do.

Handling email is another big advantage, since I like to type in the landscape mode, the display leaves lots of room for that. Unlike iOS, the keyboard does not take up over half the screen, which in turn allows me to type as fast as I wish, error free.

I'd strongly encourage you to visit a variety of Android forums. That way you'll be exposed to people who have current experience and will be helpful once you have purchased your phone.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

Each of these apps allow you to control the alerts.

You can choose to silence notifications from each of these apps specifically or you can choose to silence all notifications by changing the notification volume to 0.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Hi Guys,

As many as you want I believe.

Yes.

Yes.

There are a few apps that can do this. I can't remember their names right now.

Android comes with a Mail app and Gmail app. So yes you can keep them separate.

Using chrome on OSX and phone is easiest solution. Look at chrome to phone app also.

Visit androidcentral.com for good android info!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
thanks guys!!!

I appreciate ALL your help! I think I'll take the plunge ... the first thing I'm going to do is upgrade to JellyBean. Odd how the entire OS is all dark themed but I like it. I'm REALLY going to miss the premium quality of the iPhone 4/4S for a while though.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
Normally I would tell you to go visit an Android board, but you've been a member for a while so I'll see what I can answer.
Hi Guys,

How many Exchange ActiveSync Mail/Contacts/Calender/Tasks/Notes can sync on ICS/JellyBean? I'm pretty sure you can add as many EAS accounts as you want on the stock Android mail app.

Can I choose which alerts (Calls, Emails, SMS/MMS, or other app alerts) show up on the lock screen on Galaxy Nexus? No. That's exclusive to the Galaxy Devices with TouchWiz. (As far as I know. There might be a lock screen that does that.)

Can I choose to silence SMS/MMS notifications (vibration & ringtone)? I basically want to leave the phone at my desk and nobody knows I've received these until I unlock my phone? Yes. Just go to Settings > Sound > Uncheck Silent Mode > Volume > Notification-All the way down.

Can I lock applications with a unique password separately from device lock? Not through the system, but you can using App Lock.

Can I separate GMAIL account from Exchange account emails (in 1 app or use gmail app for push gmail email vs Mail for Exchange)? Yes. You can use the Gmail app and keep all Exchange accounts on the Mail app.

how would I keep my OSX Safari bookmarks in check on both Galaxy Nexus & OSX? Using the Chrome to Phone app and the extension on Google Chrome. If you don't have Chrome install it and import bookmarks.

Thanks,
Answers in Bold. If you can wait 3 months or so for the new Nexus devices, I would do that. The GNex is fairly far into it's life cycle. It's still a great phone but I wouldn't recommend it at this point.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Discovered this is NOT the experience I hoped for. Thank GOD I kept my iP4S!!

Issues with official JellyBean installation:
* Bloomberg app continuously crashes.
* cannot setup Exchange 2010 email (ActiveSync). This seems to be a widespread problem on Galaxy Nexus even on ICS.
^ yes I do have access to Exchange Management console 2010 & verified my account has ActiveSync enabled and no policy's restricting access as I'm in the loop on our MDM/ActiveDirectory/Exchange implementation solution. My iPhone is NOT on an MDM so i can verify that ActiveSync is enabled.

Beyond applications, beyond themes & tweaking on a modern OS ... maybe because I'm not converted to iOS fully for months and used to the OSX/iOS solution ... maybe cause even JellyBean is rough around the edges > its not cut out for me. Maybe if I chose Sony's Xperia S/Ion with their light theme I'd be pleased. I don't know. But if I cannot get Exchange ActiveSync 2010 working on the unit (I've tried all methods documented with various settings) then this cannot be my primary device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.