Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrusion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Jailbroke Verizon IP4s iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.04.

Found and installed PDAnet 5.36 in order to use phone as hotspot for my iPad2 on the rare occassion there is no public wifi spot. Makes sense, right? Good, me too. So I turned off WiFi on phone so only internet via 3G is available.

Launched PDAnet. Enabled Hide Tether.

Turned On WiFi Hotspot and got a popup "error" message saying "WiFi is off. Please turn on in phone settings." What the heck!!?

Removed PDAnet. Rebooted. Reinstalled. Same thing. There's not a single hit on Google regarding this message. Everything I see re. PDAnet appears to say directly or indirectly that I can use the phone's 3G to create a hotspot for my iPad. I mean, isn't this what PDAnet was designed to do? Why then does it say it needs a wifi connection in order to make the phone a hotspot?

What am I missing and why? (no documentation, nothing in minimal FAQ, nothing in forums or rest of net).

Thanks.

chrusion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Turn WiFi on. Just sayin.
ahuh... and I have no idea how I was not clear.

Fine, so I turned wifi on and of course was able to set up PDAnet to rebroadcast my router's wifi. OK, so what do I do now? Oh, silly me, of course, change the iPad wifi network connection from my wifi router (sitting 3 feet away) to the iphone hotspot (sitting 2 feet away). Well, that just makes a ton of sense. Why in the world would anybody do that?

OK, so then I take both my phone and pad outside my house and walk down the street out of range of my router and guess what? Duh. PDAnet ceases broadcasting a wifi hotspot even though I have a full-bar 3G signal. Now guess what? My iPad has no internet. Really? How shocking.

Again, what am I missing, cuz this didn't help, but thank you anyway. Just sayin'.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Sorry, didn't see that in the OP. Sorry for being sorta a smart-aleck. If PDAnet doesn't work (didn't on my jailbroken 3GS) you might want to try MiWi ($25 in the Cydia store). Yeah, PDAnet's free, but if it doesn't work, what's the point. Might be a bug the dev needs to smooth out. Try MiWi, it will work and you will be satisfied.

$25 isn't that bad when you compare it to tethering plans ($10 a month on Virgin Mobile for example)

Sorry I failed to mention this in my brash post, but welcome to MacRumors, you're going to like it here!

chrusion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Sorry, didn't see that in the OP. Sorry for being sorta a smart-aleck.
NP. I actually was pulling that walking down the road thing outta my behind, cuz I was just stupid enough the assume turning off wifi on the phone AFTER setting up PDAnet would simulate being out of range. DUH.

Obviously PDAnet requires wifi be On in order to set up PDAnet, but without any documentation, I assumed you had to be connected to a router/hotspot. Nope. (And so why isn't there any detailed instructions to this and other effects?)

So, I actually just did literally walk down the street and low and behold, the Pad still had internet via 3G when the phone lost my router! Don't know why I assumed the other way was valid and then projected it as fact onto this physical maneuver.

I just got back and was going to delete my reply, but you replied to it, so let's keep it here for other duffus' like me.

WiFi must remain On in order for PDAnet to seamlessly switch to 3G internet when you move out of range of a wifi network. Not sure why, but my uninformed assumptions prevented me from seeing that 3G and WiFi are somehow connected in the "eyes" of PDAnet.

Over and out.

doubletap

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Ashburn, VA
NP. I actually was pulling that walking down the road thing outta my behind, cuz I was just stupid enough the assume turning off wifi on the phone AFTER setting up PDAnet would simulate being out of range. DUH.

Obviously PDAnet requires wifi be On in order to set up PDAnet, but without any documentation, I assumed you had to be connected to a router/hotspot. Nope. (And so why isn't there any detailed instructions to this and other effects?)

So, I actually just did literally walk down the street and low and behold, the Pad still had internet via 3G when the phone lost my router! Don't know why I assumed the other way was valid and then projected it as fact onto this physical maneuver.

I just got back and was going to delete my reply, but you replied to it, so let's keep it here for other duffus' like me.

WiFi must remain On in order for PDAnet to seamlessly switch to 3G internet when you move out of range of a wifi network. Not sure why, but my uninformed assumptions prevented me from seeing that 3G and WiFi are somehow connected in the "eyes" of PDAnet.

Over and out.

From your posts it sounds like you're misunderstanding how tethering works.

When you tether, you're going to use your iPhone's wifi to create its own wifi network that is _separate_ from your router's.

You'll then connect to this new wifi network from your ipad.

You can do all of this while still in range of your router's wifi network.

You should check out tetherme. It's a few $$ but enables the built-in hotspot feature of the iPhone.

dt

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
I had no idea what problem you were having when i read your post. Why did you have to walk away from your router,etc. Now that doubletap pointed out, i see what your problem is.

You could of find what tethering means within seconds of google-ing.

chrusion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
From what I've seen others do, tethering, yes, is creating a totally new wifi network. The phone becomes a wireless router. I understand that. What I don't understand is why someone would want to do that when both the phone and the device you want to connect to the phone are able to connect to the primary wifi network instead.

So, with that scenario making no sense, the only logical reason one would create a wifi network with the phone being the router would be in situations where there are NO wifi networks, yes? In this case 3G would be the only means of getting internet access and thus a main reason one would want the phone to be a wifi router for other devices.

OK, let me back up. I just remembered that someone may be the only one who has log on credentials to a secure wifi network and needs to keep those credentials secure/secret, thus they would see the benefit of turning their phone into a wifi router for others to access the internet. That's about the only scenario that makes sense when the phone and other devices are in range of the same, primary, wifi network.

My ONLY use for PDAnet is to get internet to my iPad when traveling in a car or in any other place where there is no wifi network for it to connect to. The only way to then get 3G to the iPad would be via PDAnet on the phone. Capisce?

doubletap

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Ashburn, VA
From what I've seen others do, tethering, yes, is creating a totally new wifi network. The phone becomes a wireless router. I understand that. What I don't understand is why someone would want to do that when both the phone and the device you want to connect to the phone are able to connect to the primary wifi network instead.

So, with that scenario making no sense, the only logical reason one would create a wifi network with the phone being the router would be in situations where there are NO wifi networks, yes? In this case 3G would be the only means of getting internet access and thus a main reason one would want the phone to be a wifi router for other devices.

OK, let me back up. I just remembered that someone may be the only one who has log on credentials to a secure wifi network and needs to keep those credentials secure/secret, thus they would see the benefit of turning their phone into a wifi router for others to access the internet. That's about the only scenario that makes sense when the phone and other devices are in range of the same, primary, wifi network.

My ONLY use for PDAnet is to get internet to my iPad when traveling in a car or in any other place where there is no wifi network for it to connect to. The only way to then get 3G to the iPad would be via PDAnet on the phone. Capisce?

I'd wager that your situation applies to most folks who are looking to tether. Seems kinda silly to want to tether when there's perfectly good wifi access available.

I don't find I tether much (unless it's to test something) when I have wifi access.

dt

thc1979

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
noob but here it goes!

Hello, I just downloaded PDANet and had the same exact problem. When I used either USB or WIFI Tether I kept being directed through my home broadband internet carrier's modem. I am also on an Iphone 4 3g service plan. To fix the issue of routing through my broadband carrier, before tethering through PDANet, you need to go into your Idevice Settings and DELETE your broadband carrier saved connection under "Choose A Network." I had saved my broadband carrier info here and it was set to auto detect. I am assuming that is what was causing my issue because once I deleted the, ridiculously high-priced / tired of being cut off from / unreliable, might as well be a dial up service / BROADBAND account from my available Wifi networks, PDANet worked PERFECTLY! I hope I explained this well enough. If not here is the quick version:

On Idevice
CLICK Settings
CLICK Wi-Fi
Under "Choose a Network" click on blue arrow next to any/all of your internet providers that are saved.
CLICK Forget this Network

I suggest deleting any saved networks. Once you download this app I can't see any reason for continuing to pay for the crappy broadband service I have. After you have deleted your saved networks, then you can turn your Wi-Fi radio button to ON which allows the PDANet tethereing through PDANet Wi-Fi. I haven't tried USB yet, but i'm sure it's gonna work fine now!

Hope this helps!

t:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.