Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I love Chrome, I try and use Safari but I have Chrome setup just so nice that I find it hard to move - although with that said, the new tighter integration with the OS which Safari will have and the share sheets I want to use it.

I just wish I had a newtab page within Safari which was like Chrome, I have that setup with quick links to Google+ and Mail, I know I can set them up in the topsites but it's just not as asthetic as the nice icons that Chrome uses.

On thing I have gotten very use to is right clicking a link and having at the top of the menu 'Open Link in New Tab' - in Safari it's the second from the top and by pure habit I always find myself opening things in new windows rather than tabs :mad:

The vast amount of extension for Chrome which don't seem to slow it down, also seems like one more plus for using Chrome over Safari.

Anyone share these points of view or think I'm nit picking?

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
I love Chrome, I try and use Safari but I have Chrome setup just so nice that I find it hard to move - although with that said, the new tighter integration with the OS which Safari will have and the share sheets I want to use it.

I just wish I had a newtab page within Safari which was like Chrome, I have that setup with quick links to Google+ and Mail, I know I can set them up in the topsites but it's just not as asthetic as the nice icons that Chrome uses.

On thing I have gotten very use to is right clicking a link and having at the top of the menu 'Open Link in New Tab' - in Safari it's the second from the top and by pure habit I always find myself opening things in new windows rather than tabs :mad:

The vast amount of extension for Chrome which don't seem to slow it down, also seems like one more plus for using Chrome over Safari.

Anyone share these points of view or think I'm nit picking?

I don't think it is a good idea to switch to Safari just for the share sheets. I mean, that's the only think you said you like about Safari :)

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Not only that but the deeper integration with iCloud.

Chrome has cloud syncing, and runs on all platforms. I have not tested it, but it should work as advertised.

I am using Safari since v 3.x and never felt like using anything else. I would suggest you spend a week with it and see for yourself what works better for you.

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
This setting of being able to use the home button to get back to topsites has made a big difference, it's a kinda shortcut to the Chrome newtab page.

2jbmvlt.png

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Safari 6 > Chrome

Chrome is slow and buggy in my experience. The amount of Sad Mac tabs I get is just ludicrous. Safari never crashes or slows down and the share sheet has changed my world.

I'm a web front end developer who spends all day in the latest and earlier versions of all the major browsers so your mileage may vary.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I also think I am going to switch. The new Safari finally has all the features I love in Chrome most of all the unified omnibar. ;)

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The new Safari is really great. Speed, smoothness, iCloud integration. It works amazing and is by far thebest browser on Mountain Lion for me.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
I have also moved to Safari about a month ago. Safari on Mountain Lion works much better than on Lion and I'm really happy with it. I even find it faster than Chrome and let's face it, it looks much better than Chrome.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Same, I ONLY use Safari on the Mac and on windows I only use firefox. Not sure what it is I really don't like about Google Chrome but have just never 'got on' with it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've tried to like the latest version of Safari, but it's too little, too late. Chrome is so fast, stable, and has so many useful extensions that it's my favorite by far.

I'm using both the regular version of Chrome, as well as Canary. The true beauty is that I can run them both at the same time which is a huge advantage for me.

The efficiency is what pays off, since I do so much research at work, the faster I can get it done the better. In fact quite candidly, I'm constantly trying other browsers once a month just to see if I'm still using the fastest and best suited for my needs. Even the latest build of Opera still lacks too much.

What others are doing wrong to cause the problems they report with Chrome is a curiosity, as I've had zero issues with it.

Being somewhat of an Apple purist I wish I could say I like Safari best, but I'd be lying. I'll just keep trying it from time to time to see if it's caught up with the rest. Other than my obvious preference and longtime love of Macs, I'm brand neutral. Especially in the present environment where we're all working in a highly dynamic fast paced world.

Therefore speaking only for myself, I'm interested in speed, efficiency, usefulness & stability. I don't care who makes it :)

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I guess I'll just have to wait till Mountain Lion to see if the new features are enough to hold me using Safari, I right now am using Chrome and I want to use Safari as stated before, but like the previous post I just can't see past Chrome with the way the implement extensions and the newtab page.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I'm considering switching, I've been toying with Safari on this MBA I use from time to time, but am not sold on the switch just yet

The addition of an omibar is great, but I feel that Safari development just goes at a snails pace, and while it may be faster than Chrome for java at this second, in a few months it'll be falling behind again (and Chrome will come out with some new great feature)

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I'm considering switching, I've been toying with Safari on this MBA I use from time to time, but am not sold on the switch just yet

The addition of an omibar is great, but I feel that Safari development just goes at a snails pace, and while it may be faster than Chrome for java at this second, in a few months it'll be falling behind again (and Chrome will come out with some new great feature)

That's true the development cycle of Safari is not going to be as fast as Chrome, it would be wise for Apple to assign a team to focus on the browser, as the browser is maybe the most powerful app on all machines.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I just can't use a browser that doesn't have pinned/app tabs...
I kinda got addicted to them.

Safari 6 is great, but I cannot get it to work fine with my workflow without the use of the pinned apps.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I love using Chrome on Windows & iOS, but on Mac OS I just feel like Safari is adequate, It is slower then Chrome currently, but I like the user interface of Safari..

Also IMO Chrome user interface looks ugly, I also find that downloads tend to be slow, I don't know If that has been resolved, but when I download large files the transfer rates are slow..

But Chrome is definitely the fastest browser currently..

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Testing the GM of Mountain Lion i just had to start up Safari and see for myself.

Im a Chrome fan indeed, and since im using 3 or 4 different computers on a daily basis, both OS X and different Windows versions, I think I will stick with it. The extension sync, bookmarks and passwords is just too much to give up.

However, testing Safari 6.0 now on ML. And it does seem impressive.

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Testing the GM of Mountain Lion i just had to start up Safari and see for myself.

Im a Chrome fan indeed, and since im using 3 or 4 different computers on a daily basis, both OS X and different Windows versions, I think I will stick with it. The extension sync, bookmarks and passwords is just too much to give up.

However, testing Safari 6.0 now on ML. And it does seem impressive.

That's what I'm hoping for is that in Mountain Lion Safari has done some catching up with Chrome.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Now that Chrome is out on iOS, I've lost all temptation to go back to Safari (iCloud tabs was luring me).

In my opinion, Chrome is a faster, better designed and more powerful browser (thanks to extensions), plus the iOS versions are also very well-designed. I just wish you could set it as the default browser on iOS, as many others do...

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
All 4 releases of Chrome are f'd up on the Retina MBP.
Stable Release - No Retina support. All Fuzzy everythings.
Dev/Canary/Beta - Flash Videos in fullscreen only fill up the top left quadrant of the screen.

I was using Canary until it all of a sudden got that bug, then I switched to the Dev channel. Then yesterday the Dev channel's version got "upgraded" and the flash bug appeared in it.

Ridiculous how the Canary bug was documented weeks ago, and they decide to push out the same bug to the dev channel. Very frustrating. Get your act together Google.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
If you think that's annoying, if you were a long term Firefox user you would know that they arbitrarily swapped the order over without any warning a while back, between version updates. After that unnecessary confusion I just started to use command click instead, so they can change the order all they like now for all I care. I moved to Safari full time since then anyhow.

MacRenegade

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008

Holding down the Cmd key while clicking a link in Safari will open it in a new tab.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I imagine certain things have been answered (haven't read the entire thread), but:

Installing Glims will give you some extra features in Safari, such as middle click (or command+click) to close a tab (in addition to the default option of command+clicking a link to open it in a background tab).

How is topsites in Chrome better than Safari? I've always found Chrome's version annoyingly restrictive. You can't have more than 8, you can't pin them (which you used to be able to do), they don't have live previews, and they simply don't look as nice.

I love Chrome on Windows (except for the most visited page, which has become useless due to Google not allowing you to customize it anymore...why it needs 3 links to my email is beyond me), I just can't like it on OS X. There's a certain lack of polish to it--small inconsistencies with the rest of the OS that make it less nice to use. It does have a few features I wish Safari had, but they're not enough to get me to switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.