Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Would be nice to enable all features of the card but as I lack the ability to program eproms myself, the "kit" solution could be a nice and cheaper way. Better than than importing the cards with a hefty price surge due to taxes and shipping costs....

What features are you missing? Yes, the cards currently run at PCIe 1.0 speeds but in my experience this doesn't have a huge impact on the overall performance, I certainly haven't noticed anything while running games. You should be able to just update to 10.7.4, install the latest driver from the NVIDIA website, then plug in your card. This seems like a much simpler and cheaper solution, at least in the short term, no?

ranXeron

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Vienna
What features are you missing? Yes, the cards currently run at PCIe 1.0 speeds but in my experience this doesn't have a huge impact on the overall performance, I certainly haven't noticed anything while running games. You should be able to just update to 10.7.4, install the latest driver from the NVIDIA website, then plug in your card. This seems like a much simpler and cheaper solution, at least in the short term, no?

True. Boot screen would be nice though.... but smaller bandwidth and the missing boot screen are acceptable - thats why I´m looking for a less expensive solution e.g soldering the eprom myself :)

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
UK
What would be really cool is if Nvidia could convince its partners to produce a Mac based GTX-680 for mac users, As Nvidia has been kind enough to produce drivers for us mac users, perhaps they will have a partner produce a Mac based NV range of cards:D

Then we would all get warranties with the cards if any fail:D

EVGA maybe mmmmmmm

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
True. Boot screen would be nice though.... but smaller bandwidth and the missing boot screen are acceptable - thats why I´m looking for a less expensive solution e.g soldering the eprom myself :)

The least expensive solution is to just use the card as-is. You already own the card, and the drivers will make it work. I've been living without boot screens since February or whenever the first drivers that supported the PC cards were released, and I haven't looked back.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I think it does, haven't tried it. Got it from some guy over at netkas.

unfortunately, zeus flashing is pretty broken today. only works well with ATI cards from earlier generations.

rubefink

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
MacVidCards

I'm looking to mod my 570 also. Anyone with MacVidCard's contact info please send me a message. Much thanks.

powervideo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
My GTX 570 is still having randomn secondary monitor failures on boot up with my 2009 MP. This is very frustrating. I'm considering putting my Quadro 4800 back in and pulling the 570. Any ideas anyone?

My macvidcards GTX 570 keeps dropping the primary MiniDisplayPort monitor so I only get the secondary DVI monitor. This happens when nothing is touched on the Mac Pro. I turn it off at night and then when it is powered up in the morning, one one monitor is active. I've switched cables, monitors, etc with no luck. It can work for several days then this happens again. Anyone else seeing this?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
My GTX 570 is still having randomn secondary monitor failures on boot up with my 2009 MP. This is very frustrating. I'm considering putting my Quadro 4800 back in and pulling the 570. Any ideas anyone?

please specify which displays you are using and what sorts of cables, adapters, etc

As there are dozens of these cards out there and yu are only one reporting this, it is an isolated issue and can be solved with info and by using logic to narrow down the cause

powervideo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
please specify which displays you are using and what sorts of cables, adapters, etc

As there are dozens of these cards out there and yu are only one reporting this, it is an isolated issue and can be solved with info and by using logic to narrow down the cause

Sure, thanks for posting back quickly. I have two Dell U2711 displays running at 2560 x 1440. I have Monitor 1 connected via the GTX570's DVI Port No1 via a dual link cable. I have been connnecting the second monitor with a standard Displayport cable directly out of the GTX to the DP of the second monitor. Sometimes I boot up and the DP monitor is not active. Only with a convoluted system of uninstalling the drivers, removing the card and reinstalling does it work again.

This morning I tried Monitor 2 connected via your DisplayPort adaptor cable to an Apple MiniDisplayPort adaptor to DVI cable, then a dual link cable to the second monitor. This works this morning, but I only get a maximum resolution 1920x1080.

Does this help?

Peter

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
My Dell U2410 once needed to be turned off and on again to work with DisplayPort, issue was definitely with the display as I cycled through several different DisplayPort cards until I tried turning it off and on again and issue went away.

Issue isn't drivers so don't waste any more time with that.

Might be an iffy DP cable. I would be happy to switch out your 570 with another one.

Obviously you have already tried switching which Display is connected via DP and which is DVI, yes?

powervideo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
My Dell U2410 once needed to be turned off and on again to work with DisplayPort,

Do you mean pull the power out and do a hard power on? I'll give that a go and also flip the monitors around. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back. Cheers, Peter

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
FWIW I've had issues like that with regular Apple-supported cards as well, e.g. with my Dell 3007WFP and a GTX 285. I just turn the monitor on and off until it comes alive again. This usually happens when waking from sleep, since I rarely actually reboot my system.

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
because i was quite helpless to find information i report my experience for others now :
i have a new mac pro 2012 and ordered a zotac gtx 580 3gb standard pc model.
i use it next to the original apple ati 5870. the power comes from an external psu which is setup so that it delivers power without a motherboard attached.
the psu sits on top of my mac pro, i bought a 650w model, maybe a bit an overkill but the fan never moved till now.
the gfx cards are surprisingly silent, but ok i never used them for a longer session...
booting with the display on the gtx gives a black screen just until the login panel pops up. actually no problem unless you need the single user mode. with the display on the 5870 everything is normal of course.
i used the gtx with octane render, and it works perfectly. with indigo it didnt work, but thats maybe a driver issue.. didnt look into, yet. I use the newest nvidia driver and patched it to allow openCL (see netkas)
i hope the mountain lion drivers do solve this indigo problem and some glitches in c4d gui when the display is on the gtx... let's see.
but to use the gtx just for gpu rendering next to the 5870 connected to the display works quite easy.
so for me, this was a good solution for about $400 for the gtx, $110 for the psu.

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have a Palit 1.2GB 570, works in Windows 8 but can't get it to work on OSX side. Shows up in System Profile. I added the device ID but still a nogo. I may send it to MVC to flash/mod so I can get EFI but I got the 120 for that so it's not really necessary right now.

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I have a Palit 1.2GB 570, works in Windows 8 but can't get it to work on OSX side. Shows up in System Profile. I added the device ID but still a nogo. I may send it to MVC to flash/mod so I can get EFI but I got the 120 for that so it's not really necessary right now.

adding the device id didnt work here too ->
but installing the newest nvidia drivers did (no device id editing needed)
i heard the 10.7.5 (beta) drivers are better, but didnt test yet

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
adding the device id didnt work here too ->
but installing the newest nvidia drivers did (no device id editing needed)
i heard the 10.7.5 (beta) drivers are better, but didnt test yet

I'll have to recheck, I thought I downloaded the latest drivers and tried to install it but it said I had the latest drivers installed?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Barefeats tests our GTX570 & GTX580, STOMPS all other cards in CS6 !!!

Thanks to Nvidia's efforts to give us decent drivers, check out the results:

http://www.barefeats.com/aecs6.html

The tested 570 is our GTX570 with 2.5 GBs of VRAM. (enables boot screens on Apple LED displays)

The GTX580 is the 3GB Classified version that does not fit well in a Mac Pro.

These are cards with our EFI that runs them at full PCIE 2.0 bandwidth of 5.0 GT/s.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I don't understand the paragraph:

"Adobe does, however, "toss a bone" to AMD by using OpenCL acceleration instead of CUDA in Photoshop CS6. Premiere Pro CS6 lets you choose either CUDA or OpenCL. One pro user reported that choosing OpenCL in Premiere Pro provides double the performance boost of CUDA."

They didn't have open CL enabled during these tests? If not, why?? If openCL is "double the performance" of CUDA then a new AMD card is in my sights.

I plan to buy a new video card (4870 currently) for CS6 (which I already own and am using) for when ML is released - trying to get a handle on which one to buy for a 2008 MP and comments like above just confuse the heck out of me.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Can't use OpenCl on Ray Tracing, it is CUDA only.

That is why the 5870 goes off the scale in a very bad way, shows you what software only on CPU does.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
So openCL is only for certain things but CUDA accelerates them all?

Sorry if this is too off topic, but I need a video card update and want to make sure I don't get hosed with the wrong one. Every fall I do a fairly big video project and renders are always an issue with premiere and after-effects. I want to get the best video card for my Mac Pro 3.1 that I can.

robotbob

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
hey there, my first post here, but read the whole thread last night. intriguing stuff. I have a GTX 580 i brought for my 2012 Mac Pro. i used a splitter cable to garner the 8 pin from the standard 6 pin mac cable ( from the motherboard ). So in short my Palit 3GB gtx 580 is being directly powered by two 6 pin plugs from the motherboard and it seems to work well. However after reading some posts here, particularly from macvidcards, about the potential of burning out the motherboard i have taken it out ! So my question is thus . .

i am not trying to power more than one card and if my 580 wants to draw 244 w whats the best power supply to buy ?

it makes sense to me to try and put it in the extra CD drive bay because the graphics card cable lengths are so short. so i found this on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/450W-Graphics...392918&sr=8-1&keywords=juice+box+power+supply

so what do you think ? or should i just try to find a 2.5 GB 570 which seems to not to need the extra power ? thanks for your time all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.