Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Apple must really hate the Mac Pro. They broke all the USB 3.0 pci card drivers. I'm sure they will update, but still . . . .

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Is it something they specifically targeted or were the PCI USB 3.0 kexts the problem? Are they perhaps 32-bit kexts? Were they functioning up until the most current ML update?

I'm sure as long as the hardware sellers are still offering the same PCI cards that there will be an update to restore functionality.

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
My LaCie card is confirmed as broken in 10.8 as I detailed in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1402117/

As I said, it works again using those DP3 kexts, but that breaks other stuff such as my USB speakers.

Given all these troubles I'm thinking of just getting a Caldigit one to avoid waiting for a patch from LaCie and then from the hacking community to stop it blocking non-LaCie drives.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple must really hate the Mac Pro. They broke all the USB 3.0 pci card drivers. I'm sure they will update, but still . . . .

Shouldn't Apple be supplying standard USB 3.0 xhci drivers at this point? If Apple is going to have USB 3.0 standard on new Macs going forward they should be taking over the standard core USB 3.0 infrastructure.

This is was somewhat inventivable when they left a vacuum that for a core OS role. Some similar hiccups will probably pop up in Windows 8 as Microsoft assumes their core role there too finally.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Shouldn't Apple be supplying standard USB 3.0 xhci drivers at this point? If Apple is going to have USB 3.0 standard on new Macs going forward they should be taking over the standard core USB 3.0 infrastructure.

This is was somewhat inventivable when they left a vacuum that for a core OS role. Some similar hiccups will probably pop up in Windows 8 as Microsoft assumes their core role there too finally.

USB 3.0 on the Ivy Bridge Macs comes from Intels chipsets while all the third party USB cards use NEC chips. Apple is unlikely to ever offer driver support for the latter.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I just hope they don't purposely block usb 3 3rd party here. That would really really suck. They obvioulsy changed something since the DP's. In the mean time no usb 3 drives for me till someone writes drivers. Caldigit is usually pretty quick. I'm not sure about Highpoint. I have both cards, so whichever is done first. They will probably say . . "but ML isn't released yet" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I just hope they don't purposely block usb 3 3rd party here. That would really really suck. In the mean time no usb 3 drives for me till someone writes drivers. Caldigit is usually pretty quick. I'm not sure about Highpoint. I have both cards, so whichever is done first. They will probably say . . "but ML isn't released yet" :rolleyes:

Well, that might be a reasonable response from them. This might just be a bug in 10.8 that will be fixed in a future build; in which case there would be nothing for those card vendors to fix.

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
As a temporary solution, anyone who wants the DP3 kexts is welcome to PM me, or if I'm allowed, I'll just post a link here. I don't think DP3 is available on Apple's developer page anymore. Using these may cause other USB things to stop working though so make sure you keep a backup of the current ones.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
As a temporary solution, anyone who wants the DP3 kexts is welcome to PM me, or if I'm allowed, I'll just post a link here. I don't think DP3 is available on Apple's developer page anymore. Using these may cause other USB things to stop working though so make sure you keep a backup of the current ones.

Anyone still have DP4 for their kext files as above? Did those work with usb 3.0 cards? Probably the same as DP3 I guess.

----------

caldigit has a ML beta driver for their usb cards they just sent me. I'll try it later and see if it works on either card.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
USB 3.0 on the Ivy Bridge Macs comes from Intels chipsets while all the third party USB cards use NEC chips. Apple is unlikely to ever offer driver support for the latter.

If Apple refreshes the Thunderbolt display what do you think is going to be in there? Intel USB chips. Nope.

This *is* a matter of Apple getting off their lazy butts. They are going to use more than one USB 3.0 controller if that are even remotely supporting moving to USB 3.0 on their products. Doing just the Intel and NEC/Renesas controller would give them extremely broad coverage with just doing two.
It isn't like they have to chase down every variant out there.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
If Apple refreshes the Thunderbolt display what do you think is going to be in there? Intel USB chips. Nope.

This *is* a matter of Apple getting off their lazy butts. They are going to use more than one USB 3.0 controller if that are even remotely supporting moving to USB 3.0 on their products. Doing just the Intel and NEC/Renesas controller would give them extremely broad coverage with just doing two.
It isn't like they have to chase down every variant out there.

If it was working in the DP's then why do you think they changed the GM? Doesn't make sense unless it was inadvertent.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
don't be so sure this isn't intentional

Netkas & I were wondering why OpenCl was working in GM on a Quadro 4000 but not on a GTX570 with 2.5 GB.

Puzzle got even weirder when we discovered that the same GTX570 with 1.2 GB had OpenCl.

Netkas did some digging and found that Apple had added a little "surprise" in the form of a line of code that checks amount of VRAM.

Anything over 2GB gets chucked out and card is labeled as "not supported"

So once again, they didn't want aftermarket cards eclipsing their "official" products, and if it required a little knee-capping, well, I imagine same thing with your USB 3. Can't have those aftermarket products stealing the thunder from the 2013 Mac Pro when it brings USB 3 to the masses.

I wonder if they have a division just for this? The "Crippling Department" or something like that.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007

If it is, it is the meanest thing I have heard. First they say no new mac pro for at least 3 years and then sorry you pro pukes can't even use usb 3, so go get a macbook pro. That would be pretty low. The soup Nazi was nicer. At least you could come back for soup in ONE YEAR! :D

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
emailed Caldigit and they said they have a working beta driver for 10.8. Send them an e-mail and they'll give you a copy.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Loaded the caldigit beta and now the highpoint card works too, even though the kext files in the caldigit package were names caldigit something or other.kext. So caldigit comes through as usual with a quick fix. Props. :)

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011

Netkas did some digging and found that Apple had added a little "surprise" in the form of a line of code that checks amount of VRAM.

Anything over 2GB gets chucked out and card is labeled as "not supported"

Does this mean the 4 GB GTX 670/680 cards will not work in ML but the 2 GB versions will?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The interesting thing is NVidia writes those drivers, so it's probably (but not %100) that the check came from NVidia themselves.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Does this mean the 4 GB GTX 670/680 cards will not work in ML but the 2 GB versions will?

I haven't tried with Kepler, just Fermi.

And keep in mind this is just OpenCl. Even without Netkas fix the over 2 GB cards work fine for other stuff, it is just OpenCl where they have been knee-capped.

But of course OpenCl is the juice behind FCPX.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
If it was working in the DP's then why do you think they changed the GM? Doesn't make sense unless it was inadvertent.

Notice how Apple introduced USB 3.0 Macs during that transition? The developer previews were likely not the fully build they had inside (where they were dropping ML onto USB 3.0 Macs and somewhat likely using updated TB docking stations with USB 3.0 that haven't shown up yet. )

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I haven't tried with Kepler, just Fermi.

And keep in mind this is just OpenCl. Even without Netkas fix the over 2 GB cards work fine for other stuff, it is just OpenCl where they have been knee-capped.

But of course OpenCl is the juice behind FCPX.

Thanks. The app I need the graphics horsepower for is Open GL, not CL, and it eats VRAM like you wouldn't believe, so that's good news.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Well it is easily fixed via the caldigit drivers, so all seems good for now.

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008

I'm only getting about 50-60Mbps write speeds to a 7200rpm drive with the CalDigit beta drivers so it's not exactly ideal even though technically it works

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011

Tried the Caldigit drivers with High Point 1022AM 2 port USB 3 card for Mac and it didn't work. Any ideas besides RMA the card or wait who knows how long for a driver update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.