Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
most recently clerks 2.
I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like Clerks 2's aspect ratio is 1.85:1. That's awfully close to 16:9 (1.78:1) and it wouldn't "shock" me if Apple (or the studio providing the Apple-compatible conversion to Apple) decided to crop the movie slightly so that it completely filled a 16:9 screen. Even though I consider myself a bit of an aspect-ratio "nazi" I personally wouldn't object much to having 1.85:1 movies cropped as 1.78:1.

But I'm curious...did you notice significant black bars on your Handbrake rip? As I stated, that 1.85:1 movie is awfully close to the 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio, so the size of the black bars should be pretty small, anyway. If you were seeing fairly large black bars, that would indicate that something was wrong.

Now, there are many many movies (possibly *most* movies) that are shot in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. With these movies, the black bars will be much more noticeable, but I personally would be very displeased if Apple/whomever cropped those so as to completely fill a 16:9 TV, as you'd be missing out on left/right subject matter that the director intended you to see.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like Clerks 2's aspect ratio is 1.85:1. That's awfully close to 16:9 (1.78:1) and it wouldn't "shock" me if Apple (or the studio providing the Apple-compatible conversion to Apple) decided to crop the movie slightly so that it completely filled a 16:9 screen. Even though I consider myself a bit of an aspect-ratio "nazi" I personally wouldn't object much to having 1.85:1 movies cropped as 1.78:1.

But I'm curious...did you notice significant black bars on your Handbrake rip? As I stated, that 1.85:1 movie is awfully close to the 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio, so the size of the black bars should be pretty small, anyway. If you were seeing fairly large black bars, that would indicate that something was wrong.

Now, there are many many movies (possibly *most* movies) that are shot in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. With these movies, the black bars will be much more noticeable, but I personally would be very displeased if Apple/whomever cropped those so as to completely fill a 16:9 TV, as you'd be missing out on left/right subject matter that the director intended you to see.

I have a bluray rip of jay and silent bob strike back that I did. I was rewatching alot of the kevin smith movies with my gf and thought it was weird how jay and silent bob strike back have big black bars and clerks 2 had none at all in the itunes 1080P version.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I have a bluray rip of jay and silent bob strike back that I did. I was rewatching alot of the kevin smith movies with my gf and thought it was weird how jay and silent bob strike back have big black bars and clerks 2 had none at all in the itunes 1080P version.
Well, you're comparing two different movies. I just did a search, and Jay and Silent Bob was framed at a 2.39:1 aspect ratio (as I mentioned previously, Clerks 2 was framed at a 1.85:1 aspect ratio). So there you go...I don't think the "problem" is that Apple is doing anything different than the studios burning the Blu-ray discs. Rent Jay and Silent Bob from iTunes and tell me if there are no black bars.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey guys, had a read through the thread, I downloaded the latest Handbrake, but yet I still don't have the Apple TV 3 preset, I even updated my presets but its still not showing ?

Can someone please point me in the right direction ? :)

Thankyou !

GavinHope

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
ultimately you can use 0.9.6 for right now just fine and mimick the nightlies atv 3 preset. I have a post somewhere giving the details but in general its the same as the hi profile preset .

For dvd's the resolution isn't even an issue since dvd's are 480p max by definition. Frankly for dvd's I would just use 0.9.6 s atv 2 preset. it will basically give you the same.

For the nightlies here you go: https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

Edit: please note that about 4 am in france the nightly will include a newer version of libav. This has been tested by devs a *lot* but there are no guarantees that there will not be some issues. libav is the fork of ffmpeg that HB uses to decode most of the sources that HB can decode (read). So use it at your own risk.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4825

Nice one, thanks for the help!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hey guys, had a read through the thread, I downloaded the latest Handbrake, but yet I still don't have the Apple TV 3 preset, I even updated my presets but its still not showing ?

Can someone please point me in the right direction ? :)

Thankyou !

You have to download a HB nightly build to get the aTV3 preset.

smoothjazz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Dynaflash:

I'm still using 4816 from July 6th. Is the current version from today 'safe' to use or are there still issues being worked out. I forgot to download the one from July 11th prior to some big tweak you mentioned earlier.

Please advise and thanks.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
im assuming there is not advatage to this over AppleTV 2 seetings when ripping StandardDef DVD's

not really.

----------

Dynaflash:

I'm still using 4816 from July 6th. Is the current version from today 'safe' to use or are there still issues being worked out. I forgot to download the one from July 11th prior to some big tweak you mentioned earlier.

Please advise and thanks.

well the big change is a much newer libav (the ffmpeg fork hb uses to read sources other than dvd). I have been using it since then and its been stable for me. As always there is a possibility of issues but ... seems pretty sane so far.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
What I meant was, once movie1 was already converted, is there a way that movie2, movie3, and so on to automatically convert?

yes your maybe not adding to the que properly if thats not happening what you do is import video 1 click add to que, import video 2 click add to que, repeat for as many videos as you like that click the view que or whatever the bottom is beside add to que and you will see you list of movies, hit th start button on this window not the main window and it will convert them 1 at a time till the que is done

Cobra611

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Beacon, NY
I ran 2 movies set normally to ATV3. Both processed just fine. So, last night I set up 5 titles, and all got done within about 13 hrs. I was surprised because individual movies take that long. Anyway, when the 5th movie was finished processing, I was only able to play 1 out of the 5. I believe it happened to be the last title processed. So, I deleted the files that didn't work, and I'm running a single movie now. It's back to running an avg. 5fps. Anyone else have any issues using the queue?

cmascatello

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
I just got back on my computer this AM after letting a conversion run overnight. This was my first run of the aTV3 preset in 0.9.7 (updated last night to release build) and was a Blu-ray MKV source. The conversion ran with no errors and transferred into iTunes with no issues. However, when playing it back on my 17" MBP and iPad3, the movie appears to run at double-speed. Without doing the math exactly, the last half of the movie is nothing but black frames.

Has anyone seen this before? FWIW, I was encoding to/from a networked drive (full gigabit connection with drive itself Thunderbolt to host computer).

cmascatello

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
A little additional info:

The audio seems to be sync'd properly and runs the full 2:03 of the movie. Video plays through at a rapid rate (or with massive dropped frames in the render) and ends after about 35 minutes.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I just got back on my computer this AM after letting a conversion run overnight. This was my first run of the aTV3 preset in 0.9.7 (updated last night to release build) and was a Blu-ray MKV source. The conversion ran with no errors and transferred into iTunes with no issues. However, when playing it back on my 17" MBP and iPad3, the movie appears to run at double-speed. Without doing the math exactly, the last half of the movie is nothing but black frames.

Has anyone seen this before? FWIW, I was encoding to/from a networked drive (full gigabit connection with drive itself Thunderbolt to host computer).

I tried to convert a file and got the same problem with the Apple TV 3 preset. I encoded to/from my internal SSD on my RMBP. I'm going to try the High-Profile preset to see how that fares.

Update: High-Profile works.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.