Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Hey :)

I'm having some problems with my iPhone 3GS in the last few days, where the touchscreen often just stops reacting. The usual pattern is that I can unlock and type in my code, then thereafter, all I get is under about a dozen movements (taps, swipes, whatever) until it sort of freezes up and does nothing. Any idea what's going on?

At the same time there are three other curious things I've noticed going on, no idea if they're relevant but I thought I'd mention just in case:

1) touchscreen related: with the phone open, I suddenly see one of the on-sreen 'buttons' (for example the bookmarks icon in Safari) light up, exactly the way it does when you've just tapped it, except I haven't! It just does that on its own, and is followed by the appropriate action (eg opening the bookmarks/history pane).

2) on two occasions (that I know of) the phone showed a No Service notice when it should definitely have coverage (because it normally does in those places). The first time it took an entire restart to get it going, the second time it shook itself out of it in a few minutes without any interference.

3) several days ago, before I started noticing the touchscreen responsiveness issues, my iPhone froze up completely, open on one app (can't recall which unfortunately). It would react to nothing, not the home button or even attempts to turn it off, until it somehow un-froze when I got a call - at first I could not pick up because it wasn't reacting at all, but once the call dropped it seems to have shaken something loose and it un-froze.

I don't know much about the iPhone's innards, so I don't know if any of these phenomena relate to each other. Any help is welcome at this point, as the iPhone has grown into a sort of spare brain :p

thanks in advance :)

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Touchscreen freezing up here too

The past two? three? weeks, my touchscreen has simply locked up--tapping on buttons or scrolling does nothing. Might last 15 seconds, might last 30 seconds. Oddly, the apps involved are all native Apple (Calendar, Contacts, Phone). So far, no freezes on third party apps.

Anyone else running into this? What the heck do you suppose is causing it?

iDaveF

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
It could be a problem with your digitizer of software.

Have you tried restoring your phone or just cleaning up junk?

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
It could be a problem with your digitizer of software.

Have you tried restoring your phone or just cleaning up junk?

Ummm...huh? Not sure what you mean by "cleaning up junk?" :eek:

Haven't done a full blown restore since the mere thought of rebuilding all my folders and apps gives me the willies. While there's loads of free space on the phone (the first thing I checked), there are also 100 or so apps...or more.

Which is part of what makes my scenario so odd. As noted above, the third party apps work fine. It's only Apple/native apps that are locking up. Huh.

iDaveF

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Just like the way a PC doesn't react if it's too "busy" or if it has too many programs that are running up the RAM/CPU

If it's just a late reaction then I assume that is what the problem is.

I'm not a expert, I'm probably wrong but I doubt the touch screen had loading time that it displays when facing issues so it just freezes instead until it sorts its self out then reacts to commands.

I'd probably take it to an Apple store or carrier and ask them to have a look before you start buying replacement stuff or restoring your iPhone

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Just like the way a PC doesn't react if it's too "busy" or if it has too many programs that are running up the RAM/CPU

If it's just a late reaction then I assume that is what the problem is.

The piece of the puzzle I accidentally omitted above is that I have, at most, 3 or 4 apps running in the background at any given time. Am overly anal retentive about shutting down apps when they aren't in use, to extend battery life as far as possible.

I'd probably take it to an Apple store or carrier and ask them to have a look before you start buying replacement stuff or restoring your iPhone

You're right. I'm heading to the Genius Bar soon anyway, due to a frightful high pitched whine that occasionally comes from the MBP (on its final 30 days of my 3-year Apple Care contract). The phone's only one year into its Apple Care, so no worries about them helping out.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Dude, can you say 'thread hijack?!' Neither of you so much as acknowledges my post, much less offer any thoughts/solutions - and the problem I described is different than what the other guy barged in with, so don't try to tell me I got something out of your little side talk there.

Meanwhile, I STILL have this problem, it seems to be getting worse (especially the part about the No Service notice, which is pretty darn tricky) and I haven't got much recourse since I had to buy the phone on ebay (yes, it's factory unlocked not jailbroken, don't start) to replace the one I bought at full price which got nicked after just eighteen months by a bunch of rich punks in a Starbucks who didn't like me asking them to pipe down so I could get some work done. Because in the learning-averse dump I live in there isn't even a public library. So at least spare me the selfish streak and make your own d@mn thread!!!

Geeez!!

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

That's impossible the iPhone manages apps running and resources differently to a PC. The iPhone automatically quits apps as needed to free up resources.

Also apps In the background don't use battery as they aren't actually running in the background, they are frozen in a spot so you can reopen them the way you left them. The only time they are running in the background is if they see using one of the relatively limited api's apple provides developers with, such as uploading files or keeping music playing while an app is "closed".

OP: I suggest you try a restore+set up as new. You will lose all your files and whatnot but that's the next step (keep a backup of the pre-restored system so if it is actually a hardware issue you can get all your stuff back after the replacement). If you still have the problem after the restore that means its a hardware issue so an apple store visit will be your next step. Sorry if this is confusing, ask questions if you need.

Last edited:

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Also apps In the background don't use battery as they aren't actually running in the background, they are frozen in a spot so you can reopen them the way you left them. The only time they are running in the background is if they see using one of the relatively limited api's apple provides developers with, such as uploading files or keeping music playing while an app is "closed".

My comment about quitting apps was pre-emptive since fellow posters wouldn't have any way of knowing which background apps I may or may not have running. Should of included that in my first comment...my bad. ;)

To the OP:
Before slinging arrows, please take a moment to consider the alternative. Our issues share the touchscreen problem; by adding a fresh comment, your post became active again (having been dormant for two and a half months). Sure, I could have started a new thread from scratch, leaving yours to continue collecting cobwebs, but hey--thought there was a chance two people could benefit from the addition of a query as opposed to leaving yours in the dust.

Guess it's true. No good deed goes unpunished. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.