Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjoy383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I have tried to find a more recent answer regarding ms office 2011 and compatibility with osX 10.8 mountain lion.The roaring apps website has a compatability list but there are no recent updates to this. There are several service pack updates to this office suite but I am not sure if these will work
With the new osX in July. I will be using only word, excel and PowerPoint....
No need for outlook. Is it advisible to buy office 2011 for Mac now or wait until later? Microsoft is no help whatsoever!
Also, I would be installing on the latest 13.3 inch MBP classic, my very first Mac!
Which of course is running the lion osX currently. Thanks in advance for help!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
If the new computer has a retina display, I would check out applications like Microsoft and Adobe to see how they display.

See this discussion on AskDifferent

Microsoft Office 2011 has yet to support full window option in Lion. For a while users with SSD drives had constant activation issues but that has been fixed. It's unknown how quickly they will add support for retina display.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If the new computer has a retina display, I would check out applications like Microsoft and Adobe to see how they display.

See this discussion on AskDifferent

Microsoft Office 2011 has yet to support full window option in Lion. For a while users with SSD drives had constant activation issues but that has been fixed. It's unknown how quickly they will add support for retina display.

I'm pretty sure Lion's full window feature was implemented in SP2 earlier this year, at least for Outlook, Word, and Excel. I just bought a copy when my rMBP arrived and have used full screen mode a few times.

revdrw

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Sync calendars in Outlook 2011

I had no problems with my new Macbook Pro and MS Office 2011, until I tried to sync it with Google Calendar and iCal CalDAV. It wouldn't work. Flat out, you couldn't do it. I have a Dell with Outlook 2010 on it, and I use it extensively to make appointments, send e-mail reminders of appointments, etc. When I found that Outlook 2011 would not sync with ical and CalDAV (something about the newer OS?), I took my brand new MAcbook Pro (Bought June 7) back to the Apple Store for full refund. Geeze, you guys gotta make that work. I suppose I could have run Outlook with MS WIN 7 from my Mac, but you guys gotta do better than that.

I just read that MS will come out with a Service Pac that will fix some of that, but do be alert if Office Outlook Calendar is something you want to sync across platforms using Google calendars and your iCal.

This is the only problem I know about, other than that, MS Office 2011 worked great. But for me that one problem was a deal-breaker.

Any ideas?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Microsoft Office 2011 has yet to support full window option in Lion.

From April 2012 (9 months after Lion release date) it began to support Lion full screen mode in Word, Excel and Powerpoint, but not Outlook

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I had no problems with my new Macbook Pro and MS Office 2011, until I tried to sync it with Google Calendar and iCal CalDAV. It wouldn't work. Flat out, you couldn't do it. I have a Dell with Outlook 2010 on it, and I use it extensively to make appointments, send e-mail reminders of appointments, etc. When I found that Outlook 2011 would not sync with ical and CalDAV (something about the newer OS?), I took my brand new MAcbook Pro (Bought June 7) back to the Apple Store for full refund. Geeze, you guys gotta make that work. I suppose I could have run Outlook with MS WIN 7 from my Mac, but you guys gotta do better than that.

I just read that MS will come out with a Service Pac that will fix some of that, but do be alert if Office Outlook Calendar is something you want to sync across platforms using Google calendars and your iCal.

This is the only problem I know about, other than that, MS Office 2011 worked great. But for me that one problem was a deal-breaker.

Any ideas?

It is my understanding that the Outlook for Mac does not support CalDAV. It is an issue with Microsoft, not Apple since iCloud is CalDAV based in the first place. Don't blame Apple for something that Microsoft didn't allow in it's own program. It wasn't the macBook's fault that you couldn't sync Outlook with Google, it was Microsofts fault. You could have synced your Google calendar with iCal though.

It is Microsoft's fault that Outlook does not sync with iCloud. iCal however, syncs with most anything else on my Mac and iOS devices and that includes, BusyCal, Opus Domini, OmniFocus, FantastiCal so it is clearly that Outlook is the issue here and not Apple.

Last edited:

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Generally, Microsoft updates its Office suite to accommodate the current operating systems - PC or Mac. They will be busy this year, what with Mountain Lion and Windows 8 on the horizon. As another poster said, there will likely be some glitches, later fixed by a patch.

julsssark

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Outlook 2011 (14.2.3) may not work correctly with Mountain Lion. The scheduler for meetings does not return attendee's free/busy status. It was working fine under Lion and 14.2.2.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
One of my clients provides me with an email account and Outlook 2011. So far, the company that provides my client's Exchange server and other hosted stuff hasn't issued any alerts about potential conflicts with ML, and they're pretty good about those kinds of heads up. If they do issue an alert, I'll share anything that might be relevant to ML/O11 users.

julsssark

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Weird but now the free/busy scheduler is working. There is a graphics glitch with the invite status (the graphic is cut off), but that's minor.

Update: it seems that the free/busy scheduler works intermittently. I haven't had enough time to diagnose what causes it to work/break.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.