Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
I am a happy iPad 3 owner, but I am also in constant want. I'm thinking of getting a shiny Nexus 7 for actual portable use--take it places without the fear. Please, be open-minded.

However, I'd like very much to be dissuaded. Aside from the obvious lack of access to all media purchased for my iOS devices, what else? I hope there would be some drag-and-drop ability between my iMac and this Android device for music and podcasts. Should I, loving Apple, expect shock and horror from the Jelly Bean user experience? Be fair.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Having very little on-board storage and no mobile data capability has to hurt the usage on the go.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I am a happy iPad 3 owner, but I am also in constant want. I'm thinking of getting a shiny Nexus 7 for actual portable use--take it places without the fear. Please, be open-minded.

However, I'd like very much to be dissuaded. Aside from the obvious lack of access to all media purchased for my iOS devices, what else? I hope there would be some drag-and-drop ability between my iMac and this Android device for music and podcasts. Should I, loving Apple, expect shock and horror from the Jelly Bean user experience? Be fair.

No reason to be dissuaded. The Nexus 7 has solid hardware specs and is getting rave reviews for both the hardware and software. Jelly Bean and Project Butter have generated lots of positive buzz.

I own both an iPad 2 and 3. I would have NO problems buying a Nexus 7. My only issue is the size. I prefer Tablets the size of the iPad.

If you are going to get a Nexus 7, get the 16GB version. Here's hoping we see a Nexus 10 next year. :)

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011

I'm still on the fence for buying a Nexus 7. Android/Jelly Bean is great, if Ice Cream Sandwich is any indication.

But if you want to be discouraged...

The thing that is silly is that the Nexus 7 will not have the apps that you've already invested in on the iPad. Do you really want to go and spend all that money again? Some apps just plain aren't available on Android at all. And never mind that the Nexus 7 does not have a way to hook up to a larger screen. Even most smartphones have that option.

Most importantly, you already have the best tablet on the market. Try as you might, you basically can't damage it. If you're still afraid, take the $200 and get a sleeve/case, and take the remaining $150 and buy a ton of great apps.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm still on the fence for buying a Nexus 7. Android/Jelly Bean is great, if Ice Cream Sandwich is any indication.

The thing that is silly is that the Nexus 7 will not have the apps that you've already invested in on the iPad. Do you really want to go and spend all that money again? Some apps just plain aren't available on Android at all. And never mind that the Nexus 7 does not have a way to hook up to a larger screen. Even most smartphones have that option.

Most importantly, you already have the best tablet on the market. Try as you might, you basically can't damage it. If you're still afraid, take the $200 and get a sleeve/case, and take the remaining $150 and buy a ton of great apps.

It's a different ecosystem and I like both actually. ;)

Don't forget you get a $25 coupon toward future purchases on the Play Store. One thing I like about Google and I wish they did more of it are the 10 cent app sales. I bout a bunch of $7 games for 49 cents. I wish they had more of that.

Also if a person already has a Google account all of your stuff meaning games and apps you purchased transfer over to the Nexus 7. :)

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012

But, most apps are free on Android. Well that was the case about a year ago, I remember there being a lot of free apps that I paid for in iTunes.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
But, most apps are free on Android. Well that was the case about a year ago, I remember there being a lot of free apps that I paid for in iTunes.

That's still the case. In fact a dirty little secret is most free games i.e. ad supported is the full version. I turn off my wifi and never have to deal with a popup ad. :p

And while the App Store still has a ton of stuff the Google Play Store has enough for everyone.

----------

Cant you tether the nexus 7 with your iphone's 3g connection?

Only wifi for the Nexus 7.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
There are just a few apps that I really use much, so re-purchasing would only apply to a few things. What about the browser and touch screen responsiveness? The iPad screen is fantastically responsive, while the browser is good, if not great.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
There are just a few apps that I really use much, so re-purchasing would only apply to a few things. What about the browser and touch screen responsiveness? The iPad screen is fantastically responsive, while the browser is good, if not great.

I think Google ties your Google account to you so the stuff you purchased elsewhere on another device may carry over.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I was about this -> | | close to buying a Nexus 7. Then I realized I require mobile data, and I skipped.

Let's see

ipad 16gig LTE = $629

vs

Nexus 7 16gig = $250

If these are your choices today you would have already bought the iPad before Nexus 7 was even released. Is mobile data worth $379 when most phones can already tether? Heck, buy a iPhone 5 for $200 and buy the Nexus for $250. Your still $129 ahead of the game.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I just picked up a Nexus 7 from Office Depot. I haven't opened it yet because i'm not sure if it comes with the $25 coupon for the Google Play Store. The employee who was helping bordered on "NO CLUE" throughout the transaction.

I was told they will start selling them in 2 months. That's when I said i'll go to Staples and he said let me check with my manager, lol. Yup 'how about that we are officially selling them today'. :D

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Been thinking about getting one of these for a few days. Finally took the plunge and placed my order yesterday.

Had many Apple products over the years. I've also used many handsets, including Android, as part of my last two jobs and haven't been impressed with Android.....until now that is. From what I've been reading about Jelly Bean it sounds as if Google have finally upped their game.

I had an iPad2 up until a few months ago. I found that I hardly used it and always went back to my MBP and iPhone 4. Think I prefer the 7" size, but time will tell I suppose.

Also getting bit bored of IOS. Not saying it's rubbish, but just fancy something fresh. Looking forward to getting the Nexus :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Would buy a Nexus but gonna wait until this fall to see if an iPad mini is truly coming.

I'm not really a fan of 16x9 tablets. I prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio. I'd love to trim down my current iPad to just my essential apps and quarantine my games to a smaller iPad.

If no iPad mini is coming i'll grab a Nexus.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Quick impressions :D

Yup just setup my Nexus 7, used my Gmail account and it gave me my $25 credit.

It's doing a system update v4.1.1 which I read was already available. This is no question a sweet tablet. The screen is just plain gorgeous and Jelly Bean is liquid smooth just like iOS. So far very impressed.

Wow one very cool feature is the zoom in effect. When you first zoom (2 taps) in it makes that area a bit larger. In certain areas if you zoom in again it balloons the text to SUPER SIZE. So essentially pinch to zoom isn't required on the Nexus 7 in certain areas of a web page.

* My 16GB has 13.2 remaining even with the Transformer movie and several preloaded magazines.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just picked up a Nexus 7 from Office Depot. I haven't opened it yet because i'm not sure if it comes with the $25 coupon for the Google Play Store. The employee who was helping bordered on "NO CLUE" throughout the transaction.

I was told they will start selling them in 2 months. That's when I said i'll go to Staples and he said let me check with my manager, lol. Yup 'how about that we are officially selling them today'. :D

I have heard over at Android Central that the Nexus 7's being sold at GameStop do come with the $25 credit. It isn't an actual coupon, however. When you register the Nexus 7 it gives a credit to the account you set it up with.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have heard over at Android Central that the Nexus 7's being sold at GameStop do come with the $25 credit. It isn't an actual coupon, however. When you register the Nexus 7 it gives a credit to the account you set it up with.

Yeah, actually every Nexus 7 sold comes with a $25 credit once you register the device with your new or existing Gmail account. I have several Gmail accounts. I wonder if I can get $25 credit for each account? :D

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I'm getting one, I have a 64 gig AT&T lte iPad I'll use hotspot feature on if I need cellular on the nexus.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Let's see

ipad 16gig LTE = $629

vs

Nexus 7 16gig = $250

If these are your choices today you would have already bought the iPad before Nexus 7 was even released. Is mobile data worth $379 when most phones can already tether? Heck, buy a iPhone 5 for $200 and buy the Nexus for $250. Your still $129 ahead of the game.

What makes you think I want a 9.7" tablet? I used to have a 3rd Gen LTE and OG 3G iPad, and got rid of both.

And dude, stop and think for a moment. With AT&T cracking down on tethering apps, I'll have to buy a $50/month tethering plan or risk losing my account. Will that extra cash be worth the inconvenient use of tethering? I just want a device that I can pull out of my bag in the morning and turn on for a stable cellular connection - not one that also requires me to pull my phone out and enable tethering.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Quick impressions :D

Yup just setup my Nexus 7, used my Gmail account and it gave me my $25 credit.

It's doing a system update v4.1.1 which I read was already available. This is no question a sweet tablet. The screen is just plain gorgeous and Jelly Bean is liquid smooth just like iOS. So far very impressed.

Good to hear! Would you say the screen is wide enough for most pages to browse in portrait, or do you switch to landscape? Also, did you try any graphically-intensive games?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Good to hear! Would you say the screen is wide enough for most pages to browse in portrait, or do you switch to landscape? Also, did you try any graphically-intensive games?

I stick to portrait and there is enough room to read a page. Although my eyesight is not what it used to be so reading small print is nearly impossible for me. :(

The text is very clear and sharp. Jelly Bean is a dream for Android users. OMG it's buttery smooth from swipes to finger touches. Everything is precise. I had a chance to compare an ASUS Transformer running ICS and then the Nexus 7 and it was NO contest. Jelly Bean destroys ICS in every way. If you like the smoothness, predictability and precision of iOS like everyone else does then you'll feel right at home using a Nexus 7. Best of all it's a stripped OS with virtually NO bloat sans the free movie and magazines that are preloaded.

No games yet as I was pulled away to take care of family chores and i've been playing EA's NCAA Football.

I witnessed something on the Nexus 7 today I have never seen before on any other Tablet Android or iOS:

I was on a website and double tapped and it zoomed in as it does on any other Tablet. I scrolled over to a vertical row of links to hop into the forums. So I double tapped again and the Nexus 7 zoomed in like SUPER TEXT. :eek:

It took up 3/4 of the screen and was like this is where you want to go you can't possibly touch the wrong link. It was MAGIC to me. That's been the one standout experience so far. Every thing else I expected. The screen is gorgeous, colorful, the tablet runs buttery smooth and is a delight to use.

Also unlike the iPad as nice as it looks the backing if the Nexus 7 is a dark grey rubberized backing so you can't scratch the back of the Tablet. And Gorilla Glass II just feels great. :cool:

This tablet is without a doubt a steal at $249. The icing on the cake would have been a MicroSD slot, that's it and 3G/4G for those with data plans.

Last edited:

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Excellent. You're making this all the more tempting, Rod.

I suppose by viewing most pages in portrait, you probably have to cut off the sides, which are typically ads or site links you don't need to see constantly? This is a big concern to me because I figure landscape browsing would require a lot of scrolling and be kind of a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.