Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
The new Fulham home shirt came out today. At least it's better than last year's, and it will see the return of the black short.

New-Fulham-Home-Kit-2013.jpg

Now the away shirt is just hideous. It's paired with white shorts and matching orange socks.

Orange-Fulham-Kit-2013.jpg

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Unfortunately for Everton it looks like they've been given a bog-standard teamwear template by Nike, the Laser I think it is.

A shame, as Everton's shirt last season by Le Coq Sportif was rather lovely.

They've been around for a year or two now in their new form, albeit as a 'brand' and occasional challenge side playing friendlies. Mrs Cake bought me one of their shirts for Christmas, it's quite splendid.

As you mentioned it is a generic Nike template, I don't think it would be to bad if the white cuffs were so big. Some of their best kits came from Le Coq minus that pink er I mean salmon one.

As for the Cosmos I think they are jumping into NASL next year is to build a fan base to try and transition to MLS in the future. Seems to be a pretty good practice if you look at Seattle, Portland, Vancouver and Montreal. I wonder if they're still using Cantona as a pitchman.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I think Cantona was Director of Football (or Soccer), or something. I don't know if he's still involved, be it in a figurehead capacity or otherwise.

Meanwhile, BBC Scotland are reckoning that it's finally been decided that Rangers will be playing in the Scottish third Division next season.

carefreecork

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
UK
Hi all - Chelsea fan here - can't wait for the start of the Premiership - interested to see how Robbie builds into the season - consistency In the EPL must be the goal this season.

On a different note - I was listening to talksport the other day and there was a spud fan on who said he supported Bayern in the CL final - couldn't believe my ears! The hosts were also incredulous and really took the ****! The fella said he had been a fan for 30 years and always wants an English team to beat 'Johnny Foreigner' (his words) - even though it cost them CL next season. He must have been a minority of one! Wouldn't give out his surname.

I haven't laughed so much in years!

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Mikel's expression changed because the crowd were making too much noise for him to hear what was being said. ;) :rolleyes:

Fuzzy14 - would this come under 'not proven' in Scotland? Edit - scratch that, Riddle seems happy.

Cheers,
OW

Last edited:

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
So the lip reading expert confirmed he said b**** c***

Is saying that not racist then? :confused:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
It would seem that it's not what was said but the context here – part of Terry's defence seems to have hinged on the fact that he was repeating what he thought he was accused of saying.

Regardless of how this trial has turned out, a rather bright spotlight may well be about to turn on the Premier League and FA, and how they respond to the fact that it's been publicly shown that racist language is apparently common between players. Their well publicised 'Respect' campaign and work with Kick It Out will be severely cheapened if they're seen to be turning a blind eye to what the players are actually saying on the pitch.

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Fuzzy14 - would this come under 'not proven' in Scotland?

Cheers,
OW

The 'not proven' verdict has its uses as it allows the jury to decide that although a guilty verdict hasn't been proven beyond reasonable doubt, there is sufficient evidence to confirm that something isn't quite right.

You could say that it's not proven that Terry isn't a c***

Rangers in Div 3. SPL/SFA decide that the clubs that make up their membership don't know better and are attempting to set up an SPL2 at the last minute, inviting all the Div1 teams and Rangers to take part. Does Stewart Regan have no shame at the lengths he will do to try and grab Rangers fans money?

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18827915

Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle said he had heard a great deal of evidence to show Mr Terry was not a racist.

In his written judgement, he said that after weighing the evidence it was "highly unlikely" that Mr Terry abused Mr Ferdinand in the manner he was accused of.

Mr Riddle went on: "The prosecution evidence as to what was said by Mr Ferdinand at this point is not strong.

"It is therefore possible that what he [Mr Terry] said was not intended as an insult, but rather as a challenge to what he believed had been said to him.

"In those circumstances, there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty."

---

Will others be put off?

Cheers,
OW

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Good first signing by Rogers (assuming there isn't a late pull-out).

Just read this article and I'm glad he recognises Maxi's talent. Excellent player but unfortunately ageing :(

News of selling Carroll at a massive loss are very unsettling. At least give him a season to prove his worth. Towards the end of last season he made some great steps and arguably did well during the Euros. It'd be very unfair to get rid of him now and suffer such a ridiculous loss. Hope the Dempsey deal doesn't go through either, not convinced by him at all.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So much news!

NY Cosmos: all talk and little action up to this point. I applaud the idea of them joining NASL, so as to build an actual team before trying to get into MLS. We should not let them into the top division until they are more than just a name. I do like the shirt though.

Rangers: The SPL2 idea is a farce, and really exposes the SPL/SFA as bunch of charlatans. Scottish football deserves better.

Brave John Terry: After the (largely deserved) roasting that Suarez got, I can't help feeling there is a double standard going on here. Suarez may be foolish and hot-headed, but Terry is a weasel and has squirmed his way out of the situation with impressive if damnable skill. I think it is because Terry is English and knows the local system (and how to manipulate it) much better than Suarez. Chelsea/Terry's lawyers also handled the case much more adroitly than Liverpool did. It doesn't change the fact that Terry is a abominable human being, and while the court may have let him off I hope the FA does not.

Borini - A young, promising striker who costs less than 1/4th what Andy Carroll did...so far, so good. The Clint Dempsey rumors continue to do the rounds and are currently packaged as a swap-plus-cash deal for Andy Carroll.

I have also heard that Aquilani will be staying at Liverpool this season.

News of selling Carroll at a massive loss are very unsettling. At least give him a season to prove his worth. Towards the end of last season he made some great steps and arguably did well during the Euros. It'd be very unfair to get rid of him now and suffer such a ridiculous loss. Hope the Dempsey deal doesn't go through either, not convinced by him at all.

I think we need to be prepared to lose Carroll if Rogers thinks it is best. FSG have changed managers and they;'ve changed systems; if Carroll is not going to fit into that system he must be sold. Woith that being said, I think he may be useful for us and possibly even develop into a great player. It's still early.

If Dempsey were 23-24 I'd be more enthusiastic about a move to Liverpool, and while I think he could cut it I also think Fulham will be better for him omn the long run.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Cosmos thing is cool.

If you have a Ross's dept store nearby you can pick some of their retro stuff cheap, under $20 US. i have a training jacket and tshirt. might run get a kit today... :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Brave John Terry: After the (largely deserved) roasting that Suarez got, I can't help feeling there is a double standard going on here. Suarez may be foolish and hot-headed, but Terry is a weasel and has squirmed his way out of the situation with impressive if damnable skill. I think it is because Terry is English and knows the local system (and how to manipulate it) much better than Suarez. Chelsea/Terry's lawyers also handled the case much more adroitly than Liverpool did. It doesn't change the fact that Terry is a abominable human being, and while the court may have let him off I hope the FA does not.
The important thing to remember though is that the Suarez/Evra affair was handled by the FA, whilst Terry/Ferdinand was dealt with by the courts as a criminal case – both will therefore have been dealt with totally differently, and from a legal point of view if there's any doubt over Terry's guilt then he can't be found guilty.

It'll be interesting to see what the FA do now – I suspect that there's very little they actually can do though. They couldn't do anything before or during the trial (lest they be accused of influencing proceedings), and if they now attempt to charge Terry in a similar manner to Suarez he has a strong defence insofar as he's been very publicly cleared of the charges in a court of law.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
As Jaffa said, Maxi has left Liverpool. Given his age (31) I'm not shocked. He was a good servant of the club in his time here, and will be missed. Henderson and Downing are really going to need to step it up this season; it's make or break time for them I think. Downing in particular is lucky to still be around.

Arsenal 2012/2013 Away kit. Just...why?!

Oh my. :eek:

The important thing to remember though is that the Suarez/Evra affair was handled by the FA, whilst Terry/Ferdinand was dealt with by the courts as a criminal case – both will therefore have been dealt with totally differently, and from a legal point of view if there's any doubt over Terry's guilt then he can't be found guilty.

It'll be interesting to see what the FA do now – I suspect that there's very little they actually can do though. They couldn't do anything before or during the trial (lest they be accused of influencing proceedings), and if they now attempt to charge Terry in a similar manner to Suarez he has a strong defence insofar as he's been very publicly cleared of the charges in a court of law.

True, the criteria are different. It's hard to see what is going to happen - the FA allow themselves to be much more arbitrary than a crown court must be, and there is significant pressure for them to send a strong message that what Terry said was unacceptable regardless of the context. It will, as you say, be interesting. I would not be surprised he got a ban and fine, but I doubt the punishment will be particularly strong.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
according to daily express Chelsea are willing to loan Lukaku and De Bruyne to Werder Bremen as part of the Marin deal? I could see De Bruyne, since he got tough competition now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.