Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brangates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I have two seagate 1TB externals, one is a small one that is powered with usb 2.0 and the other one is a bigger one with its own power source . These are both on a new mac mini running lion. The small one i have no problem with. Every time the mini goes to sleep with bigger drive still mounted I will wake up the mini and get that annoying warning saying i didn't eject the drive properly. It is also my Time Machine backup drive, so the way i have been dealing with it is just ejecting the drive every night, or when i go to work. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The drive always remounts when i wake the computer up, but not if i eject the drive before bed. Then i have to restart or unplug the drive and plug it back in. I do not know if i might damage the drive or lose data if i just leave it alone and deal with the warning every morning. The warning says it could damage the drive, I just do not know.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Normally, unless something is being actively copied to the drive when you interrupt it by sleeping you won't lose any data. The problem is with Time Machine it may be running on its own and you don't notice it.

I would try to remember to eject before you sleep. There are some apps that will do this for you. I just looked in the app store and saw this app that looks like it would do the trick for you (have not tried the app myself).

I use the launcher Alfred to eject drives. It has the command built in. You do have to do this manually with Alfred though.

brangates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
yeah, i may give that a try or may just keep ejecting at night. See today the drive was mounted right when i woke up the computer and seems like a Time Machine backup started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.