Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I was using google chrome until now, the smooth as silk scrolling on 90% of webpages is just one of them things where once you experience it you can't go back to 'old-style' scrolling. On top of that - whilst I haven't done head to head speed tests yet - I find safari 6 to be much faster at both opening from closed and loading web-based content such as html and flash.

On top of that, the features such as tab switching and the seamlessly integrated cloud support, Safari is now my browser of choice.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
The only advantage Chrome still has is its wide range of extensions. But sadly the Mac version of Chrome has always been second rate, uglier than its windows counterpart and can't even display PDFs correctly, so Safari wins for me!

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
The only advantage Chrome still has is its wide range of extensions. But sadly the Mac version of Chrome has always been second rate, uglier than its windows counterpart and can't even display PDFs correctly, so Safari wins for me!

I use a theme that makes Chrome look pretty much like its iPad version, with black above the main bar. Looks great! I agree, however, that Chrome doesn't quite feel like a normal Mac app, due to Google's custom interface.

I'm not sure why you're having problems, but it displays PDFs fine for me.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

Chrome and Safari actually work incredibly similarly in terms of extensions. So I'm seeing many extensions made for Chrome also being made for Safari and vice versa.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Chrome and Safari actually work incredibly similarly in terms of extensions. So I'm seeing many extensions made for Chrome also being made for Safari and vice versa.
That is true to a limited extent, but there are at least 10 times as many extensions for Chrome than Safari!

dannywalls76

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
The only reason I have been using Chrome on my MBA is the translation feature. Living in Germany, Google automatically searches Google.de and I have had to edit the Local State file to change it to .co.uk. I also love the way that Chrome will translate a whole page into English without having to click anything. But, as I heading back to UK next month, it'll be Safari all the way.

sgarrand

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
Chrome keeps trying to lose me, Safari back and forth..

I keep going back to Safari 6 from Chrome but every version of Chrome except Chromium at the moment has a weird scrolling bug. I use Google Reader a lot and as I scroll over text I get a distorted/shifting line across the text and it annoys me very much.

I want to like Safari (I've never used it in my 4+ years owning a Mac) but Chrome keeps pulling me back. If I see the same scrolling behavior in Chromium, Safari will have won.

Scott

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I've always used Safari, but I hate with a passion the new search/url bar. Hoping there's some sort of hack to change it back soon.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
The only reason I use chrome is for the integrated flash player. I don't install flash player on my machines so I use chrome when I need to go to a site that requires flash player. Other than that, I still prefer safari.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
The only reason I use chrome is for the integrated flash player. I don't install flash player on my machines so I use chrome when I need to go to a site that requires flash player. Other than that, I still prefer safari.

I use chrome for it's presentation mode; allows full screen and multiple monitors...... but I went back to SL because of the multiple monitor issue anyway :).

I think in Lion it throws you into full screen now.

Last edited:

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I loved Safari until it started getting really laggy when watching video. I've been using Chrome now for about 1 1/2 months and I like it for the most part. The only thing that it lacks compared to Safari is the zooming and other gestures. It just doesn't feel as smooth as in Safari. I'll give Safari another shot once ML is officially released to everyone.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

I like Safari, and do use it occasionally. Yet Chrome serves me far better.

I must be lucky, as I've had nothing but extremely fast, stable and fun performance from Google Chrome, my browser of choice. I've had none of the annoyances or complaints I read about. Chrome runs as well on my fully loaded MBP's and Mac Pro, as it does on my PC counterparts.

From time to time, I've wondered why others have problems, since my experience has been so flawless. No browser is perfect, but Chrome is as close as it comes for me.

One of it's greatest assets is the vast library of apps and extensions that are offered. Years ago, I relied on Firefox for this very reason, yet in the last 18 months the Chrome Web Store has exploded with truly great and highly useful apps & extensions. All of which allow one to customize this browser to perfection.

Google really "gets it" when it comes to the user experience, productivity and speed. Using it (with sync enabled) on both my PC's and Macs makes my day so much easier.

While I'd love to see Safari catch up, and they have in some areas, I believe it's just not a big priority with Apple.

These days it's all about iToyz and introducing products that are equipped with the pricey and highly profitable "retina" display.

Apple is very clever and knows how to make money first, then good hardware & software second. Their iToyz strategy is a blockbuster win.

vishalduggal

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
I am over lion and still using Chrome as my default browser, But i really hate it's choppy scrolling when loading pages.

I haven't used Mountain Lion yet but I am eagerly waiting for it so I can switch to Safari.

million7

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
Florida
I use a theme that makes Chrome look pretty much like its iPad version, with black above the main bar. Looks great! I agree, however, that Chrome doesn't quite feel like a normal Mac app, due to Google's custom interface.

I'm not sure why you're having problems, but it displays PDFs fine for me.

what theme are you using?

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Chrome is really good and revolutionized browsers but Safari is also great possibly even better than Chrome, especially now with Share Sheets, iCloud Tabs, and omnibar. So there is absolutely no reason I need Chrome.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Safari 5.1 is where they completely won me over. I use the Magic Trackpad, and the iOS-esque zoom option is staggeringly awesome. Chrome, Firefox and Safari are all very fast to me. I don't really notice a difference in speed between any of them. Chrome's built-in Flash plugin does seem to use more CPU power than the separate plugin for FF and Safari, but eh; I have an i7 for a reason.

And of course, the fact that Chrome allows you to use search keywords in the omnibar right out of the box is great, and has always been great. But as long as there's been Chrome there's been Glims for Safari and Omnibar addons which allow me to do the same thing.

But mainly it's the iOS-style smooth zoom in 5.1+. Amazing. I also remember being bothered by Google Chrome's autoupdates, which were constantly foiling my modding attempts to make it more attractive.

Incidentally, am I the only one a little annoyed with Google Chrome playing games with versions numbers? A 3-year-old browser that's changed as little on the surface as Chrome has should not be on version 21.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I've always been using Safari on the Mac, simply because it was always adequate for me & I really loved the user interface.. But Safari 6 is a lot better, and the complaints that I did have about Safari have been resolved..

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Almost.

But for me I'm just too use to Chrome. It'll take A LOT to move me over to Safari. I'm even happier now I have Chrome on my iPhone.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Used Chrome for a while but I kept getting crashes from Flash. Didn't use Safari before because of the lack of omnibar and other little things. But Safari 6 looks to be a keeper.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, I really like Safari 6.

It's small things like the nice animation, the better use of the trackpad, and so forth. Other browsers might end up being faster, as they likely update faster, but the feel of Safari is just nice.

I wish they all used the nice animations of Safari/MAS.

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Safari 5.1 is where they completely won me over. I use the Magic Trackpad, and the iOS-esque zoom option is staggeringly awesome.

I'm surprised that more people don't talk about this. It's almost the only feature of Lion that feels like a big step forward from Snow Leopard and it's what keeps me on Safari. It's a *huge* advantage and I'm sad that other browsers haven't decided to follow Safari's lead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.