Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Back when I had em I loved em

Probably not. iPads and iPhones have become quite popular for business users and Blackberry will never make a consumer product as nice as the iPhone.

That leaves Blackberry with no where to go in major markets.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I don't think so.

Blackberry didn't change/adapt to the market when Android and iOS became popular.

Instead of releasing BB10 end of 2012, they delayed it until early 2013. RIM has dug Blackberry's grave.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think IT people and corporations are giving RIM one last year. Big businesses do not like change especially involving security of confidential emails which blackberry can offer.

BB10 is RIM's last shot. If its stable than RIM has a chance. While RIM is losing money they still have 1-2 billion in the bank. So they aren't in the red like Pallm was.

Blackberry is still popular in developing countries.

Any further delays (past Q1 2012) and if BB10 is not a hit. RIM is done. I actually think Windows 8 will take RIM's remaining 10% market share and slowly take both Android and iOS shares. Competition is good.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
Probably not. Even the die hard Berry users are becoming frustrated at the same old OS, lack of updates and broken promises. Even if the new OS is released soon, which there is certainly no guarantee, it will be outdated already when it comes to fruition.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
As I see it, with iPhone and Android (and even Windows Phone if you want) there is just no room for Blackberry anymore, no compelling reason to even own one (well, aside from testing websites on them). RIM are definitely on their way out.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i don't think so. A lot of corporations are already switching to iPhones as their company phones.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
No way. They didn't innovate and they have gone to pasture. Even many of the holdouts in their core corporate business sector have started to move to iOS and Android after pushed BB 10 to 2013. I see them selling off their network within the next couple of years. Their leadership over the years killed them. I mean really, how do you release a tablet that doesn't have an email app from a company built on email delivery?!?!?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Not sure this thread belongs here as opposed to Community Discussion:Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion , but I think it is a pity that BB are declining. My family is split evenly between BB and iOS, and it seems to me that the BB really hits the mark with a certain type of person. I do notice, though, that BB users seem rather slavish to texts and e-mails, responding very quickly after they arrive. Maybe it's the read-receipts, or maybe BB appeals to type-A's.... :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's not impossible for them to come back, but it would take a miracle at this point. Or, someone with a lot of money to burn to take the company private. This would give them more time to do whatever it is they need to do to get BB10 out, AND try to sell it to people.

Or, they could give up on the developed countries and focus entirely on developing countries, where they claim that their user base is growing like crazy.

One thing's for sure though: the excuses given for the delays of Blackberry10 aren't ringing true to me. Back in 2011 when they told investors that it would be delayed until 2012, the reason wasn't software... they insisted the software was "ready to go," but they were waiting for good-enough LTE hardware to install it on.

Now the reason is "the software isn't a problem, it's just committing all of the code changes." Which... wouldn't be a problem if it was actually true that the software was "ready to go," as they claimed in 2011.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.